Cabarete - scooter and other advice

We're finally on the ground in Cabarete and enjoying it. Slowly getting acclimatized to the radical change in temperature from cold and rainy Vancouver!

Have a few questions, would love to hear from those who've been here a while.

1. Do you know anyone looking to rent a scooter for a month or two? We're contemplating doing this. Local shops want $300/month which seems high for a scooter.

2. Where do you shop? We've discovered Yanet's, and we've been to the big supermarket in Sosua (Playero?).  Where do you go for fresh fish? Where's the best place to go to stock up?

3. Could you give me an idea of prices we should be paying for moto taxis and taxis? Seems like from the bars to Cabarete Beach Houses is 50-100 pesos for a moto taxi, we took a taxi from Yanet's back there and that ran 250 pesos which seemed a little high.

4. Where's the nearest computer shop? My mouse died, need a new one.

Cheers,

Chris

Welcome Chris!  Many from Cabarete and Sosua come to Puerto Plata to do a major shop at La Sirena.  You would need a taxi home and I am sorry I am not up to date on taxi rates!  Others can help.

US 300 a month seems high for a scooter to me too. Again I can't help with this but others will help.

Welcome to the north coast.
Planner is right on a big shop at la Sirena in Puerto Plata.  Costs are about 10% less than at Playero and much larger choice as well as lots of clothes and house hold goods.  It is like a super wal mart.
$300 a month for a scooter rental does seem high.  Heck you can buy one for $1200. You might check in front of Fredddy's tours (nest to Iguana Mama) or in Sosua there are a dozen places that rent scoters.
Public taxi should be no more than 25 pesos around town and the same for a moto. Prices on motos double after dark. Between towns (Cabarerte to Sosua) moto 30-40 pesos and Taxi 40-50 pssos.  Private taxi aroud town min of $5 and between $15.

Fresh fish I know I Sosua there is a guy walking around town most mornings with that morning catch. But you have to bargain with him as he will try to get the "best" price he can from you. There use to be a fresh fish place down the road from Janets but not sure he is still there. You can also get fresh fish from the boats when they come in in Sosua at about mid day on the beach and there is a fresh fish store in Charimicos as well.
Hope this all helps and again welcome

Bob K

Awesome, thanks very much both of you. And thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, we'll keep hunting for a scooter. Found a computer store for the mouse, and found a good exchange place too. Everything's starting to fall in place.

If we do a big shop in Puerto Plata - moto/gua gua there, then private taxi back - are we looking at the same $35 for the taxi as from the airport? That'll pretty much offset any cost savings, but we'll likely be renting a car in the next couple of weeks anyways to have a bit of a tour, so we'll likely do it then.

And please check out and post in the thread about daily life. As a recent arrival you will have a different perspective then some who have been here for some time.

BTW  - see if you can buy a scooter second hand!  Check various classified ads and see if you can find one.  Likely  you can get one at less then 1/2 price.....

I'm totally happy buying one second hand - but what's the registration process?

License plate, insurance? What's all that like for someone without residence?

For scooters there is no license requirements or insurance needed!  You will see young kids driving these things.  Just be careful and get a couple of helmets.........

oh, that's awesome. thanks!

We go to PriceSmart in Santiago for the staples and American kinda stuff, but that would involve a taxi ride, bus or rent a car for you guys.
We go to La Sirena in PP, but mostly Janets and playero, since we live near Gasper Hernadez (15 minutes east of Cabarete) 

Fresh fish we get delivered to our door since we live on the beach, for VERY chaep, lobster, crab, some other fish too.  We also get fruits and veggies delivered to our door too (super cheap)  But that could be b/c we live in a small village with locals and Expats on the beach of course....

We are from Vancouver as well, just moved 5 months ago.  Get ready for an adventure :-)

Also trust no one! Sounds harsh but better safe then sorry!

If you need ANY advice or questions on ANYTHING email me at [email protected]
Easton

Thanks Easton.

We're starting to figure it out. Have a moto now, mostly do Janet's, with the occasional trip to Playero or La Sirena (though we don't find La Sirena any cheaper???)

Delivery to your door sounds great - we haven't figured out that one yet!

I see you've sold up and retired here? We should grab a beer sometime and swap some stories. I 'retired' a few years back (not as in lifetime, but as in took 5 years off as a mini-retirement). Back at work now, but on my terms, and from a dominican beach :)

Chris

Just ask some of the expat locals... U will find them gathering at "Uno Mas Chill out Bar" in the middle of the strip there in Cabarete... Many of them ride moto's and will be glad to point you in the right direction...

What  was the best prices for monthly scooter rental.

Honey this thread is from 2013.  You are best to open a new thread please