Good neighbourhoods in Bangkok?

Hey guys! new here, and planing to move to thailand in 9 months.
I know it is still some time away, and things can change, but i like to be prepared :)

I've visited Bangkok a few times, always staying in apartments in Sukhumvit area, right near the BTS and MRT, but seeing as i will be moving there, i was hoping to find out the better suited areas for someone like myself...

20yr old (will be 21 when i move)
like going out, love thai food, love shopping haha
will be planning on studying Thai language and doing volunteer work in childrens orphanages. hoping to make friends with some thai locals also..

i have heard that sukhumvit is a good area (which i can agree on) but that victory monument is good for younger people, as many university students living near by.

the maximum i'd be willing to spend is 18000 baht per month..
and i will need to be in close distance to BTS, as the place i'd like to study is near sukhumvit/nana, and the main orphanage i am aware of, i'd need to make my way past the chatuchak markets.

i apologise for any mis-spelling of the names.

hope you guys can help! thank you
christine :)

Hello Christine.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll get some suggestions soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

sukhumvit area is more expensive than victory monument area.
you can try to find some apartments from Phayathai ( one more station , next to victory monument).

:)

ps. welcome to Thailand (in advance!) :D

Expect 500 bath per square meter without utilities
18.000 thb should be no problem finding a condo near a bts. It really doesn't matter where you stay in Bangkok, as long its near bts and got good options nearby.

You can start renting a serviced apartment / hotel room, while searching for a condo. You need to see them in real life, pictures on internet is not representative...

miss.chriss wrote:

Hey guys! new here, and planing to move to thailand in 9 months.
I know it is still some time away, and things can change, but i like to be prepared :)

I've visited Bangkok a few times, always staying in apartments in Sukhumvit area, right near the BTS and MRT, but seeing as i will be moving there, i was hoping to find out the better suited areas for someone like myself...

20yr old (will be 21 when i move)
like going out, love thai food, love shopping haha
will be planning on studying Thai language and doing volunteer work in childrens orphanages. hoping to make friends with some thai locals also..

i have heard that sukhumvit is a good area (which i can agree on) but that victory monument is good for younger people, as many university students living near by.

the maximum i'd be willing to spend is 18000 baht per month..
and i will need to be in close distance to BTS, as the place i'd like to study is near sukhumvit/nana, and the main orphanage i am aware of, i'd need to make my way past the chatuchak markets.

i apologise for any mis-spelling of the names.

hope you guys can help! thank you
christine :)

18000 a month in total or for the apartment?

You could always live on lower Ladprao, closer to Central Ladprao...MRT available and reasonably priced. Do you know any Thais here that can assist you? The reason I ask is one way to find out where to stay besides looking online, taking a motorcycle to look or simply walking around is to ask people with stalls or markets if they know anywhere. This has always been very helpful to me although now my wife takes care of these sort of things.

thank you very much (so far!)

@bbeaw - thankyou! hehe looking forward to arriving (eventually!) i'll have a search around Phayathai

@pcd - yeah i usually figured, as long as i was near either the sky train or underground train, there wouldnt be much issue. i've used to being on bikes, and have never had problems with the taxi's there  only tuk tuks haha
definately will be checking out te place in person before agreeing to rent it.. working in real estate previously, i know the photos arent always the mose up to date! haha

@scottmallon - yes 18000 a month, preferably not that much, the more money i can save the better, but i understand that for the little things i'd like, eg. near the sky train, i'd need to pay a bit more.

@scottmallon - sorry i meant 18000 per month for the apartment alone, other expenses i'll have on top :)

Hi Chriss,
u will surely get cheapest accomodation near Jatucak and victory monument area. I am living at Bangrak (near Surasak sky train  station)in bangkok since 2010. If u would like to stay in this area u will get furnished condo with in 10000-12000 thb per month.

thanks
byee

You can try On Nut area as well. Loads of condo's to look at. I pay 18,000 for a one bedroom in building with a lot of amenities.

miss.chriss wrote:

@scottmallon - sorry i meant 18000 per month for the apartment alone, other expenses i'll have on top :)

You don't need to spend that much to get a nice 1-bedroom with a kitchen, living room and all the amenities. For 12-14K you can get a nice place at any of the Lumpini Condos / Suites / Villas. Very nice places, clean, well-kept and I've stayed at one before, although temporarily. Do a search on Google for one in the location of your preference.

Hi Chrisine, I stayed in saphan khwai area in a place called 'sarasinee mansion' (don't confuse it with the one in sutthisan). Only 5-10 mins walk from BTS, near chatuchak park, quiet and nice building with everything you need (supermarket, restaurant, laundry etc). I paid for a condo 35sqm around 7000 baht. But they have bigger ones too for 10k. (but this was in 2008).
It's on soi 25 of pradipat, where there are many food stalls opened till late if u'r hungry ;)

thank you for all of your suggestions!

any other suggestions as to the best way to find these places?
i know alot of people sugges just walking around the streets and asking at the reception of a place that looks suitable, but i dont think i would be able to do something like that.. :S

Do you have any friends here who speak Thai or who are Thai?

I tried doing that by myself. It's hard, plus it's hot. After looking at three condo's, all totally misrepresented in their ad's, I started looking at the big serviced condo's in the tall buildings. i liked what I saw after one. By the time I looked at the second one, I said screw it. This place is good and I signed a contract right there. I'm in the Ideo Verve in On Nut. It's right in front of the BTS station. They have a real estate company inside the building that represents this building and others around town. If  you're looking for comfort and you can spend 18,000 baht. This place ain't bad. Big pool, big gym and a large library with free WiFi. Very comfortable and very convenient.

scottmallon wrote:

no unfortunately i have not met anyone [in person].
something i definitely hope to do when i am there!

hello chriss,
currently i'm living in a studio apt around victory monument (800m to bts). i like the area, mostly because near my workplace. considering for renting a 1/2 bdr condo, of course, around victory monument as well in august.
as we know we cannot trust the ads, i'll keep u update (and if u want) by giving some inside looks of my condo :)

Hey yuyunholita! Thankyou so much, that would be wonderful!
Will have to shout you a meal or something when I'm there! :)

Hi,

i stay in bkk at sukhumvit road., who will want to stay in bkk short term can ask me for share the room(1bedroom, 1 liveing romm, 1 bath, 1 kitchen in soi onnut) close bts but the condo have car service about 15 bath, if you are interesting contact me
my email: [email protected]

Have a nice day :)

my condo 10,000 THB i will move on first June 13, if you want to see my room first tell me ;) when you move to Thailand?

miss.chriss wrote:
scottmallon wrote:

no unfortunately i have not met anyone [in person].
something i definitely hope to do when i am there!

Hi chriss,
i'm Thai i think you found one.

hello again chriss,
thanks for the shout! looking forward it ^^
btw, yesterday i've visited 2 high rise condos around victory monument. asked some info, but no pics as they don't allow me to enter the room coz they don't have the key :D. here they are:
1. The Complete Rajprarop
-6 months contract for 17k thb, 16k thb for one year(fixed)
-1 bedroom style 36 sqm, swimming pool, fitness center, sauna
-TV, microwave, fridge, water heater,
-wooden flooring, small balcony, water 18 thb/unit, electricity as government rate
2. The Chewathai Rajprarop
-6 months contract for 16k thb, cheaper for one year
-1 bedroom style 35 sqm, swimming pool, fitness center,
-TV, microwave, fridge, water heater,
-wooden flooring, small balcony, water 18 thb/unit, electricity as government rate. 

well, next update will be with pics. i said to them i'd like to view the units on July. They have more high rise condos around, but out of my budget so didn't pay a visit. For two bedrooms style, you'll have to pay at least 20k thb per month. Feel free to ask ^^

hi welcome to expat and nice to meet you

Ok Christine.Now you stay i Thailand?Now I stay in Thailand.If You come to Thailand.I will help you but first you must add my facebook for contact at [email protected] . I hope you happy.It comes in different cities.You want to help peopleBut I'm not rich As a mid-levelIf you're okay with my life.I will take you learned Thailand every style.You are lucky to meet with me. I want to speak English geniuses.
    my address at Samutsakhon(Next Bangkok).If you search google"Marine police station Mahachai Maung Samutsakhon"  My dad is police work at this station and have mini home of my parent.If you interes to come.How you fill?It is  begin to fun.one more my city trafict better than Bangkok.If you need to tour with me.I will receive at RAMA2 road(Rama road it is main road of Thailand witch link between Bangkok and Samutsakhon)

Hi Christine,

I would like to give you some information as you mention that you like Sukhumvit area and near the BTS , shopping mall, ....etc. [moderated: no free ads please]
1 bedroom depending on the unit how is furnished, from 15.000 baht to 20.000 baht (nego), facilities: pool gym, sauna, small garden.

[moderated: pls register your company in the business directory]

Regards,

Mirela. TM

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

hi christine I have suggestion...there is place like apartment in samphawut  you only just pay around 2000baht/month and you must to pay for deposit like 5000baht first...it's quite cheap..and it's not a fancy apartment, but just for take a rest, it's good option because the place near Bang Na bts...you can walk only 10 mins..or you can take bike taxi only 20baht

or maybe near my girlfriend at udomsuk, there's a lot cheap apartment and really near with udomsuk bts.
if you need help me and my girlfriend happy to help you :D

ohya for all people who read this
I'm new at Bangkok too...like 2 months
and I like to meet new people...maybe we can meet and hang out
have a nice day :D