What neighborhoods to rent an apartment in Bangkok

Hi,
I am planning to live in Bangkok for several months and I need to know what neighborhood is best to rent ( lik furnished studio) in terms of safety and economy. This way,  I do not have to spend time looking for one in wrong neighborhoods from Craigslist, etc.
BTW, I have to be able to access BTS or the MRT by foot.
Any information will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Hugo

Hi Hugo,
I have a newly renovated condominium for rent very convenient to the biggest university in Thailand, Ramkamhaeng area and Huamark. Never been rent out before so it is a new condo.

It also near The Mall Bangkapi, huge department, and convenient to go anywhere by taxi.

Staying in Bangkok, taxi is cheap and reliable, by meter. MRT and BTS is fine just if you stay whole day in business area but the traffic is terrible and pollution.

From this area you only get 25-30 by taxi to get downtown by express way. However the location is much more convenient for living and there are also many schools/ teaching works nearby for the expat. Local food are available everywhere and consider much lower price compared to Sukhumvit area where most foreigners like to be compressed overthere. 

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Photos can be sent for your viewing and the map,etc.
I only want to rent out for Baht 8,000/month (US$235)

Sally

hi sally and thank you for mailing me.  Yes i plan on coming soon, very soon, just do not know the details about staying  there for a long time.  I have been there 21 times and this time want to stay.  May i ask how much your condo is and what part of town it is in.  I usually stay at Saban Kwai district, do you know it.  no too far from don muang.  thanks for writing.  dan

Hello, we are planning on moving to BKK next August - yes I know it is a long time away but it is fun to dream ahead and make plans. My 7 year old son will be going to school at the French Lycée so we want to find somewhere either very near the mrt or reasonably close to the school. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them :)

Hugorio wrote:

Hi,
I am planning to live in Bangkok for several months and I need to know what neighborhood is best to rent ( lik furnished studio) in terms of safety and economy. This way,  I do not have to spend time looking for one in wrong neighborhoods from Craigslist, etc.
BTW, I have to be able to access BTS or the MRT by foot.
Any information will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Hugo

I enjoyed the Sukhumvit road area very much and easy to hop on the skytrian and get to restaurants, bars, shops etc. Our Thai friend is right though it is more expensive. Alot depends on waht you like and how you enjoy to live. And of course your budget ! Sukhumvit is great if you like being in the thick of it close to modern malls etc. Suited me. But not everyones choice or budget.

Hello

I want to live in Bangkok in the next few months, if anybody can tell me what area is best for me to live in, I want to teach French and English, do yoga, learn Thai, make friends (locals would be great)...
I also want to stay in Phuket for a while, would I have a chance to find language learners there, whether locals or expats?
I currently teach a lot online but I am also used to teach live in person.
Thanks for your help
Stephen

Hugorio I think most places along MRT/BTS routes will meet you needs.  Keep in mind that the further you get away from central Bangkok the cheaper the rent.

I have lived at same apartment in On Nut for six years and find location great for my needs.  You have On Nut BTS station, Lotus, Carrefour and local fresh market all within 400 meters. Bus stops within same distance and taxi's no problem any hour.

Google search for Baan Saran Nuch

I agree with straydog, I also live in On-nut area. It is indeed very convenient place to live.

I also lived in Phra ram 9 which also was convenient since it had the fortune tower and tesco lotus close by included with the mrt line.

And have a look at www.mrroomfinder.com also, appart from craigslist.

Dear Sir,

I want to put my apartment on rent with your good company. Pls.find attach pictures.

Regards
Pat
[moderated: please post in the classifieds!]

I live since 4 years on Onnut, and like it  lot.
I live about 2 km from BTS Onnut, but that is not a problem as it is only a 7 bath songteow trip to the BTS.
In Baan Onnut Condominium you can rent a studio for about 10.000 thb a month, we have fitness and swimmingpool.

As Bangkok is heavy traffic jam city and it gets worst on end of month or long weekend or raining days.  So its best to live near your work place to avoid wasting time on the road.  Most people are working on fixed time like 8 - 5 job, thus there is no flexibility when one travel.

If one is not living near the city, then prices of apartments, house etc is much cheaper. 

As for facilities in Condo, it does not come free as there are charges including security guards, cleaners for common areas etc

So rental is just apartment only but there are surcharges.

Next comes if you pay the electric and water direct to the authorities of to the apartment management company.  If direct payment then pay according to the bill.  But to the management company then there is surcharge which means higher price.

If one works from 8 - 5 pm and by the time they got home, its about 6 pm.  How often does one use the fitness center and swimming pool???  Ask yourself that question if such facilities necessary???

One can always go to a fitness center near work and now there are many.  If one needs to swim, then pop over to national stadium and pay per entry or go to any hotel.  Hotels have fitness center and pool too.  Besides they have steam and sauna pool too.  Some hotels have jacuzzi pool too.

One man's meat is another man's poison.  So it all depends on your personal needs.

If one live at the outskirts, for 10,000 baht or less, one can live in a house. Pay utilites bills direct and no surcharge.

One gets nature, fresh air, quiet and space.  But one may have to commute to work using more time.

But then again in some areas, there are vans and the cost is 25 - 30 baht per trip.  So the transport cost is not that high.