Farasan Island/Abha advice needed for mid-February

I will have time off between the afternoon of February 13 and 22.  One possibility for a trip is to go with a Saudi friend down to Farasan Island from Jeddah and make a stop in Abha on the way back or the way there (I've never been to Jizan, so I think of that city, too, but know it might be impractical if I look into logistics).  My friend is currently studying, not working, but trying to get a job.  If he gets a job, he likely wouldn't be able to take time off in mid-February, and I wouldn't drive to Farasan Island from Jeddah by myself; I'd plan a different trip or not go anywhere at all. 

If I end up traveling to Abha + Farasan Island in mid-February, please share any advice you have.  I don't have the bank accounts of top executives, but I do think that almost any accommodation on Farasan Island is going to be reasonably pricey and not in the budget category.  I know that I can read my Lonely Planet book and get information from other websites, but I have often gotten great tips from Expat.com, so I'm posting this here in an attempt to get some feedback.

One way I thought of planning this trip is making reservations and then canceling if my friend is unable to make the trip.  Would that work in Saudi Arabia or do hotels/guest houses/etc. not allow that? I've stayed in a less than a handful of Saudi hotels and never needed to cancel, so I'm unaware of whether I should make sure I reserve a room at a good place or wait until the last second since the trip might get canceled. 

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, comments, etc.

My family and I have been to farasaan island. Although, we took a flight from Riyadh to jizan. On saudia airlines you can change your ticket dates as many times as you like.
From jizan, we went by boat to the island. I think the boat ride costed about 50 riyals.
Before hand, we found a hotel online ( which was somewhat difficult to find online for some reason) we called the hotel and asked the procedure for booking as we couldn't do this online. They said they had rooms for the dates we intended to come, and we could pay on arrival.  so no money or account details were exchanged.
The room costed 450 riyals a night, which we paid before leaving. The hotel is located on the shore with rooms which lead out onto the beach.  We went during the hajj break which is supposed to be peak season. The name of the hotel was either farasaan coral hotel or coral farasaan. They will arrange to have someone pick you up at the "harbour"
We left the island and travelled back to jizan using the farasaan ship, which leaves twice a day. There's no costs to use this ship.
There were quite a few people that travelled to jizan from Jeddah by car, you will be allowed to put your car on the ship as well, although I think you'd have to make arrangements before hand to do so.
I'm sorry, it's late at night, this is all I can think of  our experience right now. Hope this little bits of info helps though

If u r up for it I'm willing to share the trip

[link moderated]

This is the website of Farasan Coral Resort

http://www.coralhotels.com.sa/fcr_home.asp

Anyone is willing?

Sorry to be a sour puss but I would not recommend any expat to go there for a holiday.

They claim it is luxurious, yet indeed it's not. If the proprietor wants to know what a luxury beach resort is, then maybe they should go over to the Bahamas or parts of the Pacific to see the bench mark of what a luxury resort is.

This place has some potential; meanwhile I would recommend staying away.