Hello from down under!

Hello all,

I'm Kym a 23 y/o Aussie girl wanting to head over to Holland to be with my boyfriend.

ANY advice, tips or info on finding work (english speaking), visa requirements, fees, etc would be very much appreciated!

Welcome on Expat-blog Kym! :)

I have moved the thread on the Netherlands forum. I hope another member will be able to help you.

Good luck
Christine

24 yr old guy here.. in a similar situation as you

My gf and I are moving back to Brisbane from Melbourne in January and then to Europe by July.

Our main goal is to end up living and working in Amsterdam by 2011. 

It looks like it takes a combination of luck & an attractive resume to secure a job in the town.

So we're going to move to somewhere in the U.K. first to setup from, work a bit and suss out how the situation is in the 'dam from there.

I'm going to try learn some basic Dutch also..  it's a good skill to have on your resume there..... not sure how successful I'll be at picking it up whilst I don't live there though.

The rent in the town is pretty exxy, but the odd affordable room to rent is available.  However some places don't allow couples to rent a room. 

Outskirt towns look like a good alternative... some of them are only like 20 mins from Centraal station in Amsterdam by train.

Good luck!

be keen to hear any other tips etc you come across for this move.

Hey msb, thanks for your reply.

I don't need to worry too much about accommodation, as my boyfriend is Dutch and has his own place there.

Good idea about learning some basic Dutch, I might see about doing a short course or something like that here if possible.

I was wondering if I could first go over on the 90 days basis and then if all goes well could apply for the working holiday 1 year visa when already there? Do you know if this is possible? Also is it illegal to work while only on the 90 day visa free period? That may make living a bit hard with no income...

Have you been before? Why have you decided to move there? I can't wait to go, it sounds amazing. Don't know how I'll go with the cold though!

Cheers :)

Kym wrote:

Hey msb, thanks for your reply.

I don't need to worry too much about accommodation, as my boyfriend is Dutch and has his own place there.

Good idea about learning some basic Dutch, I might see about doing a short course or something like that here if possible.

I was wondering if I could first go over on the 90 days basis and then if all goes well could apply for the working holiday 1 year visa when already there? Do you know if this is possible? Also is it illegal to work while only on the 90 day visa free period? That may make living a bit hard with no income...

Have you been before? Why have you decided to move there? I can't wait to go, it sounds amazing. Don't know how I'll go with the cold though!

Cheers :)

Hey,  sorry don't really have much info for you in regards to your questions.  We're pretty much in the same position at the moment, trying to get all the nitty gritty.

I have a EU passport so will be easier for me,  however my gf would be in the same boat as you.

I want to move there for a few reasons...   lifestyle, the city, proximity to everything and the people.   

Would live there over London anyday!