Any tips/info on finding work in Jordan (Amman)?

A recent visit to Jordan has sparked off an interest to work there. :)

I'd be interested to know your opinion/advice on which companies I ought to approach, and which are more open to recruiting foreign graduates (providing work permits, etc).

I'm looking online mostly and haven't been able to find much, so I'm thinking of directly mailing my cv off to a number of places in Amman.

A bit of info about me:

- I'll be graduating next month with a degree in engineering (materials). I'm not necessarily looking for a related job (which is hard to find, even here in London) - but open to any suggestions.

Having said that, I did have a look at the finance sector in Jordan (although I doubt if anyone would want to recruit someone with hardly any experience/knowledge in it). Still, if anyone could shed some light on any financial companies/banks offering a training program/similar, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!

Hi Petrafied,

Sorry for the late response but been busy moving from Jordan to Egypt. I worked in Jordan for 2 years and i have to say they were the best 2 years of my life. :-)
I really didnt want to leave Jordan but wanted to experince Africa :-).
Well jobs in general are very hard to come by for local and expats. Most expats in Jordan were either teachers (like me) or worked for UN, UNCHR, Embassies etc.
I would suggest get some experince in finance sector in the UK first and then venture out. This will give you a stronger postion when applying abroad. Even if you wish to apply for graduate postions, then it is better to apply from major banks such as HSBC, who have a big cliental here.

I hope this helps and please do not hesitate to contact me for anything specfic you want to ask.

wasapnin?

Hi all.
I am Australian but I was born in Jordan,I lived,studied and worked in Australia for 16 years but had to come back to Jordan.Looking for work and also friends

you can check out some recruiting websites; there is always http://www.bayt.com/ and a popular local site - http://www.akhtaboot.com/

Hello medicsindex and welcome to Expat.com!

Maybe a little intro? ;)

Harmonie. :)

well.... i believe if you engage your self in the expat scene in the city, you can pull off a nice job in one if the governmental related companies, or anything related to development in many fields.

my advice to you is to research the city a bit more, get to know what is missing, and what you believe you can offer better than what they have available, and i am sure u will find quite a few, and always network with people.

keep in mind that a lot of major companies, as well as Jordanian companies welcome hiring foreigners ESPECIALLY from the UK, due to the English language abilities, it can open a lot of doors for you as a foreigner from the UK.

hell.... you can even try to apply for a radio station commentator job, or even have ur own show if u have talking skills...

otherwise, i am not very familiar with your degree specialty, but that can only mean good...the more weird ur degree is, the better u can get chances there, especially if its in engineering, so i dont think u will have problems in that area as well...

as for applying online or sending c.V's, well i believe if you can just print our ur c.V and make some calls and try to secure appointments would be better...especially because u have the british accent thing going on, and that for Jordanian in specific indicated that you are well educated and useful for any business.... you can develop so many things by your self...even by doing consultancy jobs, and believe me, a lot of companies over there needs it.

so all u need is just present your self and ur strength points well... and everything else will take care of it self...

let me know if u need more details...
i'll be glad to help.

cheers

but i think 4 years is just around the time u need to wait for a job there, so probably we should hear from him soon lol

I recommend you to work as volunteer in one of the NGOs in Jordan after it will open many opportunities for you.