Need Help - English Teachers or Native Speakers

I'm looking to get a visa so I can work properly. Would not do anything without it.

I missed the above at the time - sorry.

Indonesia is a very careful country when it comes to hiring foreign workers, that being for a lot of historic reasons as well as the unemployment problem here.
That essentially means you have almost zero chance of the bar work you're looking for but online work is generally ignored as it doesn't take a job an Indonesian could do.
Freelance work is pretty much impossible until you have a KITAP but visits to schools by KITAS (but non work permit) holders is generally accepted as long as it's one off stuff.
Online work would normally be ignored as it doesn't take a job an Indonesian is available for but, whatever you do, always be 100% honest with immigration.

Immigration gained a really bad rep in the old days because of the corruption but, if you play ball and remain honest, you'll find them very helpful. Their old rep has hung around but it's no longer deserved.

A work permit is only issued at the request of an Indonesian company and they have to prove no Indonesians are available to do the work.
That and pay US$ 1,200.

As far as Immigration is concerned, there are still places where "intimidation" of sorts still occurs. Basically I haven't seen corruption for quite a while but some immigration officers still like to intimidate or show their power over you by being unclear and unhelpful or making you come back again and again for various silly reasons. But as for corruption I think this is pretty much over in most cities.

Having said that, there are clearly many new and younger officers who make an extra effort to be friendly, helpful and clearly interested to improve the image of the immigration department, a couple of which I would not go as far as calling friends, but have given still very positive recommendations to Law and Human rights.

That brings me to a question that perhaps you can clarify Fred. Under a wife sponsored Kitap or Kitas we are allowed to do casual work. Although I am not planning to do this, someone at immigration told me that even for this kind of work at home or the odd bit of occasional work, if we earn money then we need to get a work permit and a tax number. Is that correct Fred?

Of course it is far better to make a business with one's Indonesian partner and officially "assist" them to run it, probably that is what most of us are already doing.

But just wanted clarification for those who teach the odd class outside or give lessons from home etc on whether they do need a tax number, work permit etc.

The last time I looked at this issue spouse sponsored KITAP holders were allowed to engage in work in order to support their families.
This didn't apply to KITAS holders.
UU6/2011 pasal 61 says KITAP holders are allowed to work but the work department say only with a work permit.
I'm unaware of this being tested in court to date and I know a few KITAP holders have been clear they're engaged in full time work.
The upshot? Informal work without contract or regular payment was allowed without question for KITAP holders.
However, the poster says, "Partner" so that could well mean they aren't married, meaning even a KITAS would probably be unavailable.

Tax - who can escape the taxman?

Caveat - As these matter no longer directly concern me my knowledge is rapidly getting out of date so please double check for updates to the law and how these things are implemented.

Yes, both Kitas and Kitap holders are allowed to engage in work in order to support their families, that info was confirmed to me a couple of back.

I'd like to hear more...feel free to email me....Seth

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
abdulkhalil wrote:

Yes, both Kitas and Kitap holders are allowed to engage in work in order to support their families, that info was confirmed to me a couple of back.

I meant to say a couple of months back.