Muslims families, mosques, halal stores near Sau Paulo

I will be moving to Sao Paulo Brazil shortly on a company project. I wanted to know if there are any mosques near Barueri (Sao Paulo) coz this where my office will be located.

Also wanted to check if halal meat is available in SP and any muslim families in the area. I will be moving with my wife and 2 kids. So hope all goes well

Thanks in anticipation ..

Hi

I'm not really able to answer your questions directly but I'm sure there is though I'm not sure if you could find in Barueri. But I know there is a mosque and a small muslim community quite near where I live in downtown Sao Paulo which is easily reached by train and metro (train from Barueri). There is a lebanese restaurant near my place which has halal certification and I remember talking to them and they were saying that there are some places that you can find halal meat and also they have a small community center and a mosque.

If I have more info I'll write again.

Gwen
Thanks for the reply.  Its absolutely good to know about the lebanese place in SP
If you can get me their name or number i will try to contac them and find some more
Options. Its required for us to eat halal food or else i will hav to becom a vegetarian
Do u have an idea of how far is barueri from SP city by public transport or by car

Don't worry ... u will not be Vegetarian ,at least u can enjoy fish and eggs ... One company of Sao Paulo exports Halal meat to other countries :) Barueri is about an hour by Metro Train because u need to change few times as I know :)

when I will get any information more must I will leave for u

keep in touch

Hi,

There are a number of halal certified restaurants and butcher shops in the Pari bairro (neighborhood) in São Paulo. If you are looking for the area on the map it is directly across the Rio Tietê from Marte Air Base. The two butcher shops that I could find are Abu Ali, Rua Barão de Ladário, 927 , tel. 3227-3535 and Zellaya, Rua Rodrigues dos Santos, 687, tel. 3326-8451.

Since São Paulo has a fairly substantial Muslim population I would presume there are a number of mosques in the area to chose from. You would have to get the most accurate information on that subject from an Expat-blog member who is also of your faith. I have no idea if you would be able to find a mosque in Barueri, but I doubt it. Welcome to Expat-blog and to Brazil anything we can do you help facilitate your adaptation to your new home please let us know.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Hello,

I have just moved in to Sao Paulo, Brazil on company work. I am staying in Brooklin, close to Estacao Berrini. I am looking for a mosque nearby or at a place which I can reach by public transport.

Can anybody help me in this regards?

Thanks in advance
Ehsan

Hello,

I have just moved in to Sao Paulo, Brazil on company work. I am staying in Brooklin, close to Estacao Berrini. I am looking for a mosque nearby or at a place which I can reach by public transport.

Thanks in advance
Shameem Shaikh

Hello,

There is a sunni mosque at Pari, Bras, Sao Paulo.

Below is the address.

Liga da Juventude Islâmica Beneficiente do Brasil
Rua Barão de Ladário, 922 - Pari, São Paulo, 03011-001, Brazil

You can travel by train and get down at Estacao Bras and then will have to walk from there to the mosque. There are some restaurants opposite to the mosque which serve halal food.

thanks
Ehsan

hi Ehsan
Thanks a lot, I am new to this place, I have another friend with me who also want to go for prayer on Friday, I am in Hotel Estan Confor, let me know if we together go to this Mosque on Friday

Ah
Shameem

hi all very soon I am coming to Brazil Sao Paulo can some one adv me how I can get asylum here as I have life threat and I dnt want to stay here, any body can tell me how I can find job here in Brazil as my work experience is in contact centers. if there is some one who can help me so I 'll be very much thankful to him/her.

Hello ibn e riaz,

Asylum in Brazil is granted in cases where there is great danger to the individual for mainly political reasons. It does not apply for personal threats of death unless these are political persecution.

It is an extremely complicated process, which cannot usually be started abroad, they must initiate in Brazil in most cases, you would have to obtain a tourist visa and apply for asylum here upon arrival. Not knowing any details of the nature of your situation it is impossible to give any advice other than a link to the Brazilian government website which deals with asylum.

http://www.brasil.gov.br/para/visit-and … and-refuge

If you wish to send me a private message with more details then I could perhaps tell you if you might qualify for asylum or not.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi All,

I am going to come to Sao Paulo i wanted to know few things i will be coming with my wife and 1 year daughter. Can anybody please let me know whats the rent of unfurnished apartment in a good place like city centre is halal meat easily available there.
For how much you can get a car on rent/month. Is it good place to come with family espcially meanung  muslim, Is muslim community in good number in sao paulo..

Hi shani75

Halal meat you may buy from super market ,just you need to know the brand which are halal. Muslim is not good number but you may many muslims near by Bras, Sao Paulo.

Apartment and car depend on the area where you like live.

Hope you have got some idea.

Thanks
Hasan

Thanks hasan for your feedback.
this is the address where my office will be located
Rua Werner Siemens 111 Lapa Sao Paulo.
do you know if in the address mentioned above there are apartment and in what price?
And how much is the cost of living in Sao Paulo.

Hi Shani75,

http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of the entire Expat-blog Team, welcome on board.

Having myself lived in São Paulo for a long time before moving here to Macaé, I know the area in Lapa where you will be working quite well. You will find lots of apartments are available in Lapa and on the other side of Rio Tietê in Pirituba and Freguesia do Ò. The rent for an unfurnished one bedroom apartment will start somewhere around R$1,500 per month depending on the location. Renting is very complicated and you will find that realtors require a lot of documents and probably rent insurance as well, since you will have nobody to sign as a guarantor (fiador) who owns property in São Paulo.

There are a number of halal certified restaurants and butcher shops in the Pari bairro (neighborhood) in São Paulo. If you are looking for the area on the map it is directly across the Rio Tietê from Marte Air Base. The two butcher shops that I could find are Abu Ali, Rua Barão de Ladário, 927 , tel. 3227-3535 and Zellaya, Rua Rodrigues dos Santos, 687, tel. 3326-8451. It is not too far from Lapa.

Cheers,

Thanks for the information for how much a car can be rented in sao paulo I will be working for Nokia Siemens Networks in brazil, What is the cost of living for two person in Sao paulo i will be moving with my wife and one year old daughter, Do ppl speak english or would i face langiage barrier there alot?

shani75,

Car rental is extremely expensive and driving is chaotic to say the very least. If the company will not provide you with a car I would recommend taking a taxi when you actually need to be driven. It will save you a lot of money.

See my posting at the top of the first Brazil Forum page "High cost of living in SP - how to economize" for all the information you need about cost of living in São Paulo.

English is not widely spoken in Brazil, not even in business so it is essential that you learn Portuguese as quickly as possible. You will have great difficulty in day-to-day situations, shopping, making friends, doing business, etc., without at least being able to speak at least basic Portuguese.

Cheers,

Thanks for the feedback..Can you please let me know if you know any good apartment near the address mentioned before as my company will do the documentation work for it so i need to search for a good apartment near the office place so less time required to reach the office and come back..

Hi shani,

I no longer live in São Paulo. Your employer will probably find it easier to contact a realtor (corretor de imóveis) near the office and get them to find something in Lapa, Freguesia do Ò or Pirituba. Those are the closest areas to where you will be working. I have no way to check on any available apartments there. Your company can probably find something almost the same day.

Cheers,

Hi shani75

I hope in LAPA you may find out an apartment without furniture  at R$1500/per month minimum . Better you buy a second hand car than renting a car. In sao paulo most challenging is parking to maintain a car. That would be wonderful if you get an apartment with parking.

For Halal food you may visit this http://www.cibalhalal.com.br

If you are from Pakistan , I have seen some pakistanis are around the Bras.

Hope this information would help you.

Welcome to Brazil :)

Hi mfehasan,

Thankyou so very much for sharing the link to Cabal Halal is will be extremely helpful to everyone.

Cheers,

Hello Mr William James Woodward - Brazil Animator

You're most welcome. Your service also appreciated .

Mfe Hasan

Hi wjwoodward

Knowing that you are in Macae now, can you please share if there is any mosque in there? How about halal restaurant, meat or foods?
I and my wife will be moving to macae end of this month.

Thanks.

Hi Asrul,

I don't think that there is a mosque anywhere in Macaé, but I will ask around. You might have some luck finding at least an Indian restaurant, but other halal restaurants I doubt it.

Finding halal meats and food products will be a bit easier, check the following site. The brands mentioned are available in all supermarkets and they are halal certified.

For Halal food you may visit this http://www.cibalhalal.com.br

Cheers,

Hello,

I have just moved in to Sao Paulo, Brazil on company work. I am looking for a mosque nearby or at a place which I can reach by public transport.

Thanks in advance
SABIR

Sabir,

There is a Sunni mosque in Pari, Bras, Sao Paulo.

Below is the address.

Liga da Juventude Islâmica Beneficente do Brasil
Rua Barão de Ladário, 922 - Pari, São Paulo, 03011-001,

You can take the subway to Estação Bras the mosque is about a 10 minute walk from the station. (check Google Maps)

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi..
actualy i'm already in sao poulo, now i'm stay in perdizes, this area i never see the muslim people, are here to  far with muslim peolpe or mosque at another place in sao poulo? also area pirituba are there have small community muslim..

Hi izue,

Like many of the expat communities in Brazil members of the Islamic faith tend to stay together in small close knit groups in specific areas of town where they can be among friends from home, and to some extent for their own protection. Muslims and expats from Middle-Eastern countries are most commonly found in the area around the mosque (address above) in the bairro of Pari.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif

Kashir meat is easier to get in Brazil and would be an acceptable substitute for halal.

Hi Wjwoodward,
Thank you very much for the respond & information. I'm very happy to be know..

Halal approved brands of meat and poultry brands are available at all supermarkets. Check this link for the brands.

http://www.cibalhalal.com.br/br/frigori … tadas.html

Hello Everyone,

Anybody knows, Mosque and Halal Restaurant or Halal Food available here in or near this area "Zona Oeste Lapa - São Paulo - SP"?

Jamilnawaz,

If you go back through this topic a bit, especially reply #24 and #26 you will find your answers.

yes there is a mosque that i know but not in barueri

Woodward i have been through most of the posts in this blog and found you very stuportive. I appreciat your work.

You are a great support to all i believe mr. Woodward

We thought of settling in Brazil as it is mainly Catholic.. what percentage is Catholic and also very tropical and not too built up?

Fully 60% of the urban population of Brazil state that they are Roman Catholic, however I think that many are what we would call "Easter & Christmas Catholics" to be quite honest.

The Evangelistic Christian religions are growing by leaps and bounds throughout the country at the moment. I don't know what kind of effect a Latin-American Pope and the fact that the World Youth Day 2013 was just recently held in Rio will have on these figures, it's really too soon to tell.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

The Evangelical churches are generally concentrated inn the lower income areas of the cities and in certain neighborhoods. But the Catholic Church is still very powerful in the countryside, specially in São Paulo, Minas Gerais and in the Northeast.

I really don't think that the Igreja Universal de Reino de Deus or Igreja Mundial de Poder do Deus are concentrated mostly in lower income areas of the cities as you stated. They're spread evenly throughout rich and poorer bairros alike. Also they're growing while the Catholic church in Brazil is on the decline.

See the following Portuguese language article from Globo G1 on the decline of the Catholic church in Latin-America:

http://g1.globo.com/mundo/noticia/2013/ … egiao.html

And another giving rankings by percentage in Brazil's capital cities:

http://blogs.odiario.com/inforgospel/20 … sta-exame/

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team