Taking Leave in your first year?

Hi all, Chris here.

I have a 1 year fixed term contract to teach English in Saudi (Buraidah)

Can I take my accrued leave during the term of this contract?
If I cannot, then why do I earn holiday that I can only take after the expiry of the contract?

Would it be possible to work for 11 moths and take my vacation in my 12th month, thus reaching the end of my contract period?

What if I resign early, will they pay me out for my accrued leave?

I am so confused as to how my employer decides on these things, the Saudi Labour Law is also unclear on this issue.

Hope someone has some info for me,

-Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm sure someone on the forum having the same contract like you will help you. Good Luck

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I hope so :D

ChrisCul wrote:

Can I take my accrued leave during the term of this contract?

Yes, you can. Have a look at the contract again and look for the words 'during' or 'after'. But usually employees can take vacation before the completion of their contract.

ChrisCul wrote:

Would it be possible to work for 11 moths and take my vacation in my 12th month, thus reaching the end of my contract period?

In case the employer doesn't agree with the above, your contract will expire after 11 months and you'll get a free but paid month.

ChrisCul wrote:

What if I resign early, will they pay me out for my accrued leave?

Most probably 'No'.

Ty Legend :)

Hmm, my contract says "entitled to 30 days paid leave annually"

it does not mention 'after 12 months worked' nor 'during...'.

So, if I take my leave in my 12th month will that fulfill the obligations of my contract i.e. will I get ESB if I do that?

Ok, your contract is flexible @Chris.

Please keep your HR informed that that you'll be going for vacation in the 12th month.

Yes, you'll get the ESB.

As a teacher, you're usually locked into classes and can't take time off during those classes.

I know most of the universities here (PNU, for example) give the two EID holidays, some time between semesters, and the last month of the contract as annual leave.  You can't take leave as you'd like because of the classes you teach.

Maybe your school is different.  I hope so :)

Oh, one last thing:  If you resign early, you'll have to pay for your own ticket home and no 'end of service' award, of course.

Thanks Legend, Thanks Alliecat.

Well, the full story is that I wanted to take my vacation in my last month and I informed my employer months in advance.

I proposed that since taking my vacation in my 12th month would bring me to the end of my contract period it would make sense to take a final exit visa when I go.

My employer replied that if I did this I would not be fulfilling the obligations of my contract and would forgo my ESB and plane ticket etc.

Their response confused me. I know that they cannot force me to work 12 months and accept cash remuneration instead of my vacation.
It seems they expect me to work 12 Months and then take vacation - or payment for vacation upon completion of my contract.

Of course, to me this seemed strange in that I earn vacation but may not take it. Ultimately, I would like to take the vacation due to me and return home to my family and beloved a little earlier. I really don't want to resign - they seem to think I am resigning and keep interpreting my requests for vacation with final exit as a resignation.

I feel that they are willfully interpreting my request this way to get out of paying me my ESB.

sigh,

The language barrier is also very difficult to overcome in this case, so it may simply be that.