Need advice on Internet and TV?

I have my own rented apartment in budapest and i am looking to install high speed internet + HD TV.  Will buy a new TV very soon.

Are english TV channels available?, especially which channel shows UEFA champions league football?

How much it will cost and who are the best providers?

I heard that you will need to sign contract for 1 year or so. what if i break the contract and cancel the connection inbetween?

Sorry! i am very new to hungary. Any help is much appreciated!!!

Hi,

As far as I know there are two big companies that offer HD channels plus high speed internet. UPC and DIGI. I happen to have UPC, with high speed internet, land line phone, and HD tv channels with a DVR. Write me in private and I can send you links to their services and help you translate if you don't speak Hungarian.

Cheers!

Lilly

There's also T-Home with their IPTV offering. They even have bundles on tv+landline+internet+cell phone. Prices are much higher without a 1 year contract, 2 years gets you a little more discount. Usually you contractually owe them the service fee for the whole year even if you cancel. So if you are here for 10 months, it's probably still cheaper altogether than the no-contract monthly rate (and whatever more they charge you for equipment and setup without a contract.)

Some personal experiences on digital TV in Hungary.

I have a TV with built in digital receiver for the UK's Freeview (digital TV). It works fine in Hungary and if you set it to use English language (as a preference) on the cable TV, quite a number of channels do have mostly English soundtracks. It can vary by programme. However, they are all digital cable pay-TV, nothing FTA (Free To Air). I can get almost nothing except the national channels FTA. The EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) does not work very well.

Lilly76 wrote:

Hi,

As far as I know there are two big companies that offer HD channels plus high speed internet. UPC and DIGI. I happen to have UPC, with high speed internet, land line phone, and HD tv channels with a DVR. Write me in private and I can send you links to their services and help you translate if you don't speak Hungarian.

Cheers!

Lilly

Hi Lilly!

Thank you very much indeed. I found their websites and able to figure out something, though i dont know hungarian.

what costs i should be expecting? would HUF 6000/mon do?

oh before i buy connection, i need to buy a HD TV? which shops offer best prices? i am living near district 7.

Thanks!