Melbourne girl making the big move...

Hey guys & girls!

Hoping to get some tips, tricks and maybe some cheeky Aussie jokes (looks like this is going to be a tough process, I may need a laugh) regarding making the move from Melbourne to NYC.
Day 1. I have decided to go.

What's next?

Aannnnd go!

Ok I'm not that clueless, here's some background on me;
7 years sales experience, 3 of which I have been an Executive Recruitment Consultant, others roles included telco and Real Estate. 2 yrs experience in New Zealand, 2 yrs in London and over 3 in Melbourne.

I could sell ice to an Eskimo and talk the hind legs off a donkey, however none of this means anything if it's not possible for my experience and skill set to land me a visa. I have no doubt that I could get a job, however does anyone know of other Recruitment Consultants who have been granted working visas?

Failing that I plan on just jumping on a plane and working in a restaurant (ex chef) and hoping like hell I don't get caught ;)

Any advice would be much appreciated, I have been searching the Internet for hours and have really only managed to find out that if I was in IT I would be fine!

Thanks again,

Megs

Hi Megs!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Hi!
That sounds super exciting, good luck with everything. I have no idea about the Visa process so I can't help you with that question, but in terms of working in a restaurant and not getting caught, you're golden. I lived in New York most of my life, and much of that time was was working in restaurants to get myself thru school. There were tons of people without their working papers in perfect order, especially in the city. In terms of a backup plan, you'll be fine.

Hi Megs,

Look like u have a heavy profile of ur career which is good jobs now a days in any city and any country is an issue,

Any ways me and Australia have a strong connection so I would defi itely like to he of help , as you know internet classifieds and all other such things can help you but Indeed its much easier when u have some connections ppl can reffer u makes life easy in job hunt.

I ll also send u a private message later in the day with Max help I could do if u r still looking :)