Organize your move to Syria

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Syria.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Syria:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Syria?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Syria?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Syria?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

Hm... good topic.
I came here not only because I wanted to experience another part of the world and learn about a different culture, but also because I wanted to do something good for myself, to find myself. People often ask me, ‘Why would you choose an Arabic country/ an Arab man? You don't make any money!' or, ‘Isn't it hard to leave home for such a long time and live in such a complicated place?' And while, yes, it has been difficult to be away from my family for almost 2 years now, and I haven't made much money, the most important thing for me has always been the experience itself.
And yes! Syria it's the best of my life so far.
Living here for the past months, I've had opportunities to see and experience things that I would have never had anywhere else. I've met people that have become a big part of my life, and will remain my family and my friends long after I leave. Above all, I've made numerous lasting memories, and even if I have to leave, I can always fondly remember my time here with my new family, with the foreign students, etc. As one might expect, after living in Damascus, the town has become like a second home for me, which makes it all the harder to leave. Even while living abroad for such an extended period hasn't always been easy, I've really enjoyed the experience and Syria is definitely the best of all. Of course, Syria, like anywhere, has its problems, and even while my experience here has been difficult at times (especially because I didn't know any Arabic and it takes some effort to learn this language), there have been countless happy moments. This place it has taught me more than I thought I ever knew how incredibly important life, family and friends are, how important it is to love and learn, that we all truly need to believe there's something good in our lives just to get us through the darkest moments, that there is no greater thing than having someone you love by your side, compromising is key and patience is truly a virtue! But most of all, to just be grateful for each and every day that I live.
I remeber writting this not long ago in one of my blogs. And dispite of the lately events in Syria I have the same feeling about this country.People are kind and generous on daily basis, it used to be a very safe place.. I wish they find a solution for their problems.

But here's a list with things I wish I brought with me:
-dictionaries and books in general (I am having a hard time finding a good library in here) not to mention I find books a little bit too expesive comparing with my country
-if you are picky about quality you might consider bringing your own shampoo, toothpaste, etc since you will likely find local brands. Definitely bring medicine (anything you think you may need). I have an hard time finding something for my headache that it's actually working. I didn't find dental floss either...
- cosmetics, if you have a favourite brand
-shoes or winter clothes (if you have a favorite brand)
-sleeping sheets- as weird as it may seems I wished I brought some from home
- if you have a baby... I wish I could buy (almost everything) from outside. I find very hard to find quality baby stuffs (from stroller to baby ointment) I didn't find yet any baby food (bio, and also I didn't find any baby food under 6 months, they should bring for 4 months too) or clothes (organic cotton) but maybe I didn't search good enough. Also I had to order for a bottles sterilizer and a steamer (i didn't find them directly in the store).

Things I was pleased with:
-food. I absolutly love syrian cuisine. It made me forget completly about any Romanian dishes
-  the pediatricians i've seen (altought very old, vbut very well informed)
- post partum care: especially the fact they  encouraged me to breastfeed and they had the patience to guide me trough all the new baby stuffs
-doctors in general, very warm and ready to explain you everything

*definitely learn some arabic first, it will ease things a lot
* stii didn't figure out about the car. If I buy it from my country will be cheaper BUT to register it in here.... i heard it's too much
                                                          -buing it from here ...again are some huge taxes (eventually we bought from here but i am not really happy about the deal)

If I remember anything else I'll post.. Basically it was very easy to adapt. I can't change the weather (I am not a warm weather person) so I am trying my best to get used with it.  All the rest.... a positive impression.

Thanks for all the info Umm Youssef :)