Anyone camped in the white desert?

as-salāmu 3aleikum guys,

hope to possibly visit in the new year, and one side trip i'd like to make is to the white desert.

has anyone done it and would you have any suggestions?

šukran in advance everyone!

k

Hey,

Just done that in Eid. worth it.

Here is what i know

Been told that Jan and Feb might be a little cold. So its a good idea not to pack big but get appropriate cloths. Its a good idea to get your own sleeping bag rather then rent. Although i did not see or feel an mosquitoes still a good idea to get a repellent.

If your a picky eater get small snacks with you. I would suggest that your group get first aid kit and not depend on the guide. And a camera :)

And you know no bathrooms so if you need to go to the bathroom during your trip try to delay till night if possible so you will not find a group of cars passing you by :)

The normal desert things is needed drink a lot water, shade, a head scarf or cap, sun block if you need.
And its a little bit far but i would advice also to go to Wadi El Hetan (Vally of the whales)

Hope that helps if you have any question fire on

Cheers & Enjoy

Nitrox wrote:

Hey,

Cheers & Enjoy

thank you so much nitrox!
it made me smile to see your reply as i thought i wasn't going to get any :(
i agree the timing may not be ideal, but its looking like the only time i can visit is in the new year. alas, i'm cdn and used to -35 winters and have also experienced a winter in luxor so know how drastic the day/night temp variance can be.
will get my "kit" from a fantastic mountain equipment store we have in toronto and bring a down sleeping bag and leave it with the guides (hate lugging stuff).
do you mind me asking what company you used?
and i laughed at your comment about holding it...uhm, i drink A LOT of h20; not so sure but i think roughing it out in the open will bring its own element of modesty.
and thank you for the recommendation to see the valley of the whales. i'll google it today.
i am transfixed by the desert and would like very much to make this trip a reality, God willing.
if there's a time when i can help with anything, please let me know.
cheers, and have a great day!
k

Nitrox wrote:

Hey,

And its a little bit far but i would advice also to go to Wadi El Hetan (Vally of the whales)

Cheers & Enjoy

cool, so it's a world heritage site: "contains invaluable fossil remains of the earliest, and now extinct, suborder of whales; These fossils represent one of the major stories of evolution: the emergence of the whale as an ocean-going mammal from a previous life as a land-based animal" http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1186/

thanks adham. i wouldn't have known about this place otherwise.

the pics of the white desert take my breath away.
cheers,
k

Hiya,  I know you've had some very useful advice already.....I'd also been on a trip to the black/white desert and oasis and thought I'd add a couple of extra things that I remembered.

There's only one place to stop along the drive from cairo to Bawati and the goods are expensive so worth taking items with you.

The camping out in the desert was absolutely awesome....so many stars!  and the landscape is like the moon..... as advised there are no toilets and to wash I took wet wipes so felt quite fresh in the morning.It is worth taking a torch too. 

In Bawati the hotels don't usually cook as its low season so there is one restaurant where the food is 'safe' called Rashids.  They only do two meals....but both are great.

The rest of the info Nitrox has already covered :)  Hope you have great fun!