Visit to Malaysia 2024

I will visit Malaysia for four weeks during June with a view of applying for MM2H but also to make social contacts and explore activities for senior expats.  Are there groups/clubs for expats in Penang and possibly KL please?

It would be good to connect with other forum members during my visit; including those who have obtained or applied for MM2H or who plan to do so but also those who enjoy their stays as "regular" visitors.

I shall look forward to the possibility to meet/make friends with both expats and Malaysians :-)

Good luck.

Malaysia is a very nice place to visit and live.

I gather MM2H has hurdles to jump, but it might be worth it.

I am a Canadian citizen and want to move to Malaysia. i have more then 4yrs of Canadian work experience in Accounts payable. I think finding accounting jobs would be a bit difficult to get in Malaysia for myself. should i do TEFL certification?

also is there a way to apply for MM2H if someone doesn't have that much money? I mean how to arrange so much funds to show to the government if you don't have that much money at the moment. what is the quick way to get MM2H for such people?

MM2H is not currently open to new applicants.  No one knows when it will be.

@nirmin

I don't think you can both work in Malaysia and also have the MM2H, at least when I lived there with MM2H it wasn't allowed.

The MM2H is not designed to help people with few funds be able to live in Malaysia, it's more to encourage people with quite a lot of spare funds to live there and to put money into a Fixed Deposit. I was lucky in that I only needed to place MYR 60k into a Fixed Deposit, since I had already invested over a million MYR into property. That was 17 years ago and I am sure the rules have changed.

You'd better contact one of the MM2H agents to ask your questions, but if you don't have the finds then it might be difficult. A better option might be to forget about MM2H and concentrate on getting a job teaching English. And I wouldn't consider only Malaysia, unless you have a specific reason to live here, but other countries in SE Asia and even Asia.

Just my two cents....

I have only just found this group   I hope to leave Sydney  and retire  in Penang.

Would like to meet people who can tell me more about Malaysian.

What is it like to live there  etc

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Before living in Malaysia I had lived in Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and additionally worked in Indonesia and Thailand but that was a long time ago. I moved to Malaysia from the UK in 2003 because it was easy to do, relatively cheap to buy property compared to Singapore, so for investment I guess. For a few years I would leave every three months and go visit Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand or Indonesia and then come back and stay another 3 months, but I think you cannot do that so easily anymore.

Anyway, having lived there for 12 years, although I really enjoyed the shopping malls and the food which is not expensive and seems to have cuisine from all over the world, I got bored. I felt that living in KL I could only visit Melaka or Penang or Johor Baru or wherever so many times and then it less interesting.

So since I married an Indonesian woman while living in KL, we decided to move to Indonesia. It was like going from a country that is basically all flat and covered with palm oil plantations to a country full of volcanoes and stunning landscape, rich and diverse cultures, delicious food, and with a cost of living probably around a third of what I'd been paying while living in Malaysia. Also the people (in the city where I live) didn't seem to be interested in me because I was an expat and rich (in their eyes) which is a bit different to what I had felt living in Malaysia.

Some good things about Malaysia are that it is a great central hub to take flights to anywhere in the region, it has a well developed infrastructure, roads are good for driving, there are places to visit that you will probably find interesting, mostly everyone speaks English, and not a bad place for retirement. Penang is nice, we visited there quite a few times and even back in the early 80's I'd go there for breaks when I lived in Singapore.

I guess if you are able to get MM2H, then you might be able to teach English online. Not sure if that is what people do, or even if there is much money to be made from doing it.

MM2H is not currently open to new applicants.  No one knows when it will be.

-@AIngles

I find the  MM2H program interesting, but not so much after they hugely increased the cost of admission a few years ago to entice rich folks. However as an alternative,  there is the S-MM2H, or Sarawak MM2H. Requires a much smaller investment and I believe you only have to actually spend 30 days in Sarawak per year, so one could still potentially live in Penang or KL. Having said that, Sarawak itself seems to offer a lot, especially if you like nature.

@pnwcyclist Agreed!  We applied for the S-MM2H in April.  I've seen a few applicants receive their approval within a year.  Seems like they maybe improving their processes etc.