CELPE-BRAS and recognized Portuguese courses for citizenship

Hello everyone! I'm struggling a bit with the language requirement for Brazilian citizenship. The CELPE-BRAS exam will be held in April. I've signed up for the test. However, since registering, I haven't been able to find any additional information regarding how to pay for the test and how to schedule my oral exam. I've contacted the testing center where I should be taking the test, but they can't figure out what's wrong. I've also contacted INEP, but haven't gotten a response thus far. From my understanding, I have to pay by March 6th, or I'll lose my spot. I'm kind of desperate at this point. So, my first question is, has anyone experienced this problem?

My other question is, can anyone point me in the direction of any Portuguese courses that are recognized and accepted by the Brazilian government in relation to applying for citizenship? From my understanding, I can take the CELPE-BRAS exam, but I can also take a certified language course. The only problem is, I don't know how to find these courses, both online and here in Brasilia.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me advice or point me in the right direction. Thanks for reading!

@EtayC

Hi Etayc..Me and my friend did our naturalization/citizenship through Portuguese course for foreigners and PF do accept it.... So don't worry about it.

You can visit in Brasilia for Portuguese course:-

University of Brasília

NEPPE - Center for Teaching and Research in Portuguese for Foreigners

ICC Sul, Basement, Module 4, Room CSS 85

Darcy Ribeiro University Campus - Asa Norte

CEP: 70910-900 - Brasília/DF

Telephone:+55 (61) 3107-7321/7330

Secretariat opening hours: 8am to 8pm

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Make sure that the organization is a recognized university by MEC the course is in-person since online/hybrid course won't be not accepted at all by PF.
  • You must have in-person tests conducted by the University.
  • You must receive a complete course certificate, transcript, and coursework document from the institution. 1f64b.svg

Thank you so much for your response! This is super helpful and I've already contacted them about the courses. If you don't mind me asking, do you remember how long the course was and how often you had to go to the university for classes? Thanks again!

1f64b.svg1f64b.svg@EtayC

Hi.. I had these options to select the timings:-

Mondays and Wednesdays: 8am to 10am/

Mondays and Wednesdays: 10am to 12

Fridays: 8am to 12pm/Fridays: 2pm to 6pm

Saturday 8am to 12pm

Duration:- 3 to 6 months depending on the course and level.

Don't enroll for less than 200 hours worth of course and try & do it in-person mode only.

These were the timings options I had in 2021, So there's may be slightly different times but still doable.

Please let me know your Portuguese level and also always use Portuguese as much as you can with Policia Federal without worrying about errors.

Hi EtayC, I did the CELPE-Bras exam at a university in the US years ago. I registered online through the INEP website. I then had to pay the university directly to confirm my registration. I had the written exam and oral exam on the same day at the testing center. Good luck!

@Nomad Mundo Excellent, this is super helpful! I've contacted the university and am waiting for a response. My Portuguese is at an intermediate level. I would put myself at B1 level, but I'm actively studying because I was planning to take the exam. I'm still trying to contact someone about it, but maybe a course is better for me. Thank you for all of your help!

@bemcasado Hi! Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the INEP website doesn't work for me when I look for info regarding the payment option. I think it might be different for me since I'm located in Brazil. Thanks again!

@EtayC

Hi... Meanwhile, you might also be interested in exploring Universidade Católica de Brasília. They offer excellent Portuguese language programs for migrants and refugees. You can find more information about it by clicking on this link: -

https://ucb2.catolica.edu.br/portal/ext … efugiados/

CELPE-BRAS:- Unfortunately, the online payment and refund system here is a source of great frustration due to its complexity and time-consuming nature.... Consequently, I recommend refraining from it..1f64b.svg