Municipality registration deadline - NON EU

Hi everybody ,

I am seeking your guidance if you have been through the same experience

I am non EU citizen relocating to brussels the next  to start a full time job.

I will be staying at an airbnb at the begining and I started to look for long term accommodation but I am not sure when I will find it .

I am wondering  if the 8 days deadline to register at a commune is mandatory . Which sanctions do we risk if we register later than the 8 days ?  .

Thank you all and have a great day

Ryme

Hey Ryme, The sad news is that it is not easy to find a place in 8 days, but the good news is that the town hall is fully aware of this issue. It took me 14 days to find an apartment after I arrived, but HR and I started looking a month ago anyway. Real estate companies are not friendly to foreigners and non-Dutch speakers. The best way to find one is to have a reference. For example, in my case, the owner of my apartment is my colleague's friend.

@Turker Baran

Thank you so much for your reply  and for  sharing your experience.

You are totally right . I noticed that landlords and real estate agents stop answering my emails  once  I  share with them  I am a non Eu relocating to Brussels for a new position !

I started considering looking for a short term ( 3 months ) coliving accommodation to be able to register at the commune asap

Ryme

They don't expect you to complete registration in 8 days. When you arrive, within 8 days, just email them that you have arrived and let them know that you would like to start the registration process but that you're currently in a temporary housing until you find a permanent place to register in.

Include copy of your passport, visa, and address of your temporary adress. This way you get ahead of the back and forth emails

I am also kind of losing hope.

May I know where you are from ? I am from Algeria

@ChandlerBing

Thank you for your reply and insight. That seems a good solution !

Is there a generic email address where to send the documents and declare arrival  to Belgium ?

Thank you!

@Sarah Smaili

I am from Morocco.

Yes it is quite difficult to find long term accommodation especially when you have not arrived to Brussels yet!

@Rymah no, e-mail the commune in which your temporary adress is in.