Job scam in korea

hi, recently I experience something terrible. I was offered a job, and on my first day of work, they ask me to go into the apartment which is so weird to me. later I found out this kind of scam used to be a very big case in Korea called Nth room (n번방). you can check the documentary film on netflix called "cyber hell". I got really furious and so scared at the same time. something almost happened to me that day. I really want to report to the police but im so scared they will found out and do something to me. do you know how to report this crime to police anonymously? thank you

I gather from the news, sex crimes of this sort are far too common in Korea.

Of course it's a big problem for you, but you really have to report the people involved in the hope of saving other girls and women from experiencing the same thing.

The more of these people that get caught, the better.

I understand "Malka" is a thing over there, and a nasty one at that.

It's not an easy thing for a victim to do, but the right thing is try to get them stuffed into prison,

Job scams, unfortunately, can occur in any country, including South Korea. These scams typically involve fraudulent job offers that promise lucrative employment opportunities but aim to deceive individuals into providing personal information, paying fees, or engaging in other activities that result in financial loss or identity theft. To protect yourself from job scams in South Korea or any other country, consider these tips:

Research the Company: Verify the legitimacy of the company offering the job. Look for an official website, contact information, and online reviews. Scammers may create fake websites, so be thorough in your research.

Use Trusted Job Portals: When searching for job listings, use reputable job portals and platforms. Be cautious of job postings on social media, especially those without verifiable information.

Beware of Unrealistic Offers: If a job offer seems too good to be true, it probably is. Scammers often use high salaries and benefits to lure victims.

Check for Red Flags: Be cautious if the employer asks for upfront payments, personal financial information, or sensitive data. Legitimate employers typically don't require these.

Ask for a Contract: A legitimate job should come with a formal employment contract. Review it carefully before accepting the job.

Visit the Workplace: If possible, visit the company's physical location. Scammers often operate from unverified or fake addresses.

Verify Contact Information: Ensure the company's contact information, including phone numbers and email addresses, are accurate and responsive.

Beware of Unusual Payment Requests: Avoid jobs that ask you to send money, cash checks, or handle financial transactions on behalf of the employer.

Consult the Embassy or Consulate: If you are a foreigner looking for a job in South Korea, consult your country's embassy or consulate for guidance on job searches, visas, and legal requirements.

Report Suspected Scams: If you believe you have encountered a job scam, report it to local law enforcement or relevant authorities. In South Korea, you can contact the Korea National Police Cyber Bureau for cybercrime-related issues.

Stay Informed: Keep yourself updated on common job scams and techniques used by scammers. This knowledge will help you recognize suspicious activity.

Remember that while job scams can be disheartening, there are legitimate job opportunities available in South Korea. By following these precautions and conducting thorough research, you can reduce the risk of falling victim to a job scam. Always trust your instincts and exercise caution when pursuing job offers, especially those that seem too good to be true.

Dear Carrot1999,

Hi, I don't know aout the police but you could try to reach out to a journalist.

A Hankyoreh news journalist called, Oh Yeon-seo worked on the story in the Cyber Hell video, I couldn't find her email, but I think she gave an interview with this person (Lee Soyoon) at the Ewha University online newspaper, so try to get in contact with him/her, perhaps they can help you to report it.

Lee Soyoon     [link moderated]

Take care,

Q

Carrot1999, I think the link I wrote  (with the email for Lee Soyoon) might not be allowed to show here, so just do an internet search for:   Oh Yeon-seo Ewha  . The second or third entry should be the news article (in pdf) by Lee Soyoon which has Lee Soyoon's the email address at the end. Writing in English should not be a problem. Good luck!

Q