Internship in South Korea
Updated 2 years ago

More and more students from around the world choose South Korea to gain professional experience year after year, as the country offers exciting career opportunities at all levels. However, you are advised to start your internship research from abroad, before moving to South Korea, and make sure that you have the skills required to be eligible for an internship in the country.

Good to know:

You do not have to have perfect Korean language proficiency to do an internship in Korea. You must, however, have a good command of English.


If you are a student, you must obtain an authorization to enter South Korea. You can apply for a student visa after finding an internship in your chosen field. If you are not a student, you can apply for an internship visa at a Korean embassy. To be eligible for the visa, you must have already found an internship. If a large company offers you an internship, the employer can help you with the visa application process.

Find an internship in South Korea

You can start your search on job websites or through recruitment agencies. If you are already in the country, word-of-mouth and classified ads can help a lot as well. You can also try to send your CV and cover letter to multinational corporations and international companies operating in the country.

Useful links:

Study Abroad
Go Overseas

Visa application

You can apply for a visa at the South Korean Embassy or Consulate in your country with the following documents:

  • A valid passport and a copy of it
  • A completed and signed visa application form (downloadable at the Korean Embassy website)
  • One passport photo (3cmx4cm)
  • A bank statement showing that you have sufficient funds to support yourself for the duration of your internship (usually some $ 3,000)
  • High school diploma and university degree if applicable
  • Visa processing fee (USD 30 for single entry, USD 50 for multiple entries)

After successful visa application, you will receive your visa within two weeks. When you arrive in South Korea, you need to register with the local Immigration Office stating your local address in Korea. You will then receive an alien registration card, showing your personal information and visa type. You are advised to refer to the laws in force in South Korea to determine the length of your internship and your visa.

Visa extension

The internship visa has a six-month duration, but it can be extended in South Korea for an additional six months. You will have to submit the same documents as for your initial visa application plus your alien registration card and proof of at least KRW 5,000,000 in your local bank account.

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.