Managing child-related expenses in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Embarking on an expat journey to the Dominican Republic with children presents unique challenges, particularly concerning the financial considerations related to raising kids. Whether you are planning to relocate to the Dominican Republic or have already begun your expat life, understanding these aspects will help you manage your budget and ensure the well-being of your children in their new environment.

To kick off the discussion, we have gathered a few questions. We encourage you to share your experiences and insights on the topic:

How do the costs of raising a child in Dominican Republic differ from your home country? What is the most significant expense related to childhood in Dominican Republic?

Are child-related services in Dominican Republic affordable?

Is there any financial support available for expat families, or is it reserved only for local citizens?

What is the estimated cost of medical expenses and routine healthcare for your child?

Are there affordable options for child activities, such as sports clubs or music lessons?

What are your tips to manage your budget effectively in Dominican Republic  (clothing and equipment rentals, swaps, parent groups, etc.)?

We look forward to hearing your responses and testimonials on this topic.
Thank you for your contributions.

Cheryl
The Expat.com Team

Timely thread that I will add to later on  Back To School

For now - Other than private school I think it is less expensive to raise a child here.  Seems to me kids here are old school, the play outside! 

There is almost no assistance for locals let alone expats.  For the poorest they get the equivalent of about US 40 a month in help.

Medical care and  vaccines are inexpensive and all expats should have medical insurance.

As for activities, they are mostly school related and as I said, they play outside.  Depending where you are you will find various private lessons available at different prices.

** Note I have no kids **

BACK to SCHOOL

Good time to remind everyone kids go back to school earlier here than  USA or Canada.

Back to school for most families is very expensive.  Public school is free but they cannot start without supplies and uniforms.

Coming down - bring some backpacks.  Bring pens pencils  rulers erasers sharpeners etc etc.

And IIRC, there are new uniforms country-wide this school year? They are standardizing the shirt color rather than having different ones per region?

Correct.  AND they are allowing the use of last years colors so parents can save a little bit!

Is school calendar different for most or standard one?

Public school will all be the same. Private are usually a bit different.