Financial instruments dealings in Portugal.

hey everyone, just checking if someone could advise me on this. I am an american living already on D7 in portugal based on my rental income from back home. On top of this, I have decided to plunge into the world of trading to increase my wealth. I was wondering  can I open an account with a U.S broker or another broker outside of Portugal to trade stocks, options and futures. I know my intended broker would open the account but are there any restrictions on D7 visa holders as far as SEF is concerned? Obviously I understand I would be taxed on my world wide income as far as financas is concerned which is no problem.

Thanks

No restrictions from SEF/ Portugal but if not familiar already, you should read up on the restrictions and extreme taxes because of PFIC if you buy any European funds as a US citizen.

Also, obvious advice but if you're not well versed in the finance world be very careful plunging into day trading  (or anything other than set it and forget it investing) to make money. The vast majority of even experienced traders lose money outside of a few random wins.

Hi nac25, thank you for the reply.  I understand trading is risky and the other concerns. apologies for the repetition but when you say no restrictions from SEF/Portugal - just asking on what do you based that on? as in no law exist to prohibit this activity or have they explicitly said that trading is permitted?

thank you.

Hi american_prt,

It seems to me that there is no such impossibility. You can make all your investments, provided you meet two criteria:

- you keep ensuring that you have annual means of subsistence, according to the requirements of your visa;

- being tax resident in Portugal (staying at least 183 days in a year), you must declare such financial income, as any tax payer in Portugal, according to the tax rules established for all taxpayers.

You can find out more, for example, by contacting an investment bank in Portugal in those financial assets. They may be able to advise you better:

Eg. BIG bank

https://www.big.pt/AboutUs/AboutUs?option=movie

[email protected]

Best Regards

@american_prt The problem is your nationality. The most part of brokers dont apply for us citizens

I was reading it the way JohnnyPT has explained.  Banks such as banco BIG do offer investment products and can be traded as long as you have an account with them and have no bearing on what visa/residence status you hold. but I was not so sure from SEF's point of view as I will be using a non Portuguese broker in order to reduce commissions. seems  JohnnyPT is correct- there is no such impossibility.

@nunorodrigues - there are many american brokers that will open accounts internationally. Having said that, I am aware CFDs are illegal in the united states.