Required stay in Portugal after receiving residence permit?

Hello everyone,

Would appreciate an advice on the following matter.

My wife and myself just received D7 visas with a starting date of February 23rd, 2023. This is the date when we plan to arrive to Portugal. Our 2nd stage interview with SEF is scheduled for May 18th, 2023.  We plan to spend some time outside of Portugal/EU in 2023 after receiving our residence permits. We could not find relevant details on SEF website.  Just found this statement on one advisory website: "Under the D7 residence permit you are expected to spend at least 16 months in the country within the first 2 year period".

Would be great to understand for how long are we allowed to travel outside of Portugal/EU in 2023 after receiving our residence permits? Thanks in advance.

Dmitri

@Dimitri,

D7 visa (& others) - Renewals and minimum stay requirements

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 42#5345092

(Post #21)

Dear JohnyPT, thanks a lot for your response! Just to make sure that I correctly understand your guidance:

"Minimum Stay in Portugal: 6 consecutive months or 8 non-consecutive months each year. I.e in these 2 years, you must stay at least 6 months consecutively each year, OR a total of 16 months (= 8 months × 2 years ), if you come and go whenever you want; ".

Let's say we will receive our PT residence permits on June 1st, 2023. Does it mean that between June 1st, 2023 and May 31st, 2025 we could travel outside of EU as needed AS LONG as we meet  the rule of being present in PT for 6 consecutive months or 8 non-consecutive months within each of these 2 years? So basically we are talking about 2*12months periods here rather than 2 calendar years, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Dmitri

That's it. In your case, if approved, visa starts on May 18th, 2023 and ends on May 17th, 2025. The calendar year only matters for tax purposes. But you can confirm all this with SEF, and then I would appreciate if you could give us your feedback here. It will be useful for other members here in the forum.

@JohnnyPT , thanks a lot! Will report back here after we meet with SEF on May 18th.

@Dmitri_K

Dmitri:

They want to ensure you live here at least six months per year.

You can only leave the country once, after you arrive here in Portugal until you recieve your residency card, normally a few weeks after your SEF appointment.

Once you have that card, you can come and go as you wish, as long as you are actually living here.  If however, you leave for instance for 7 months, you violate the terms of your residency card.  What they are trying to prevent, is people gaining a residency card, then spending most of their time somewhere else.

I hope this helps.

@Dmitri_K I was also very confused with this. I wanted to be 6 months consecutive in South Africa and 6 Months in Portugal per year. But it's basically you can't be out of Portugal for more than 8 interrupted months or 6 consecutive months within the 24-months validity period. So it's 16 interrupted months out of 24 months you have to be living in Portugal Or 18 months out of 24 months with the 6 consecutive months outside of Portugal. They don't word it as minimum stay requirements but rather extended leave from the Country requirements.

@Brian_SA Thanks a lot for these comments! Can you possibly clarify this particular point : "Or 18 months out of 24 months with the 6 consecutive months outside of Portugal"? Thanks, Dmitri

@keithmgc1 Thanks for your comment! Dmitri

hi @Dmitri_K!

how is it going for you in Portugal?

i have the same question, about how to maintain residency and still be able to travel outside of the country, what exactly the rules are. it's very hard to find the info online, and impossible to get through to AIMA via fone or email...

my questions for you! :)

once we arrive in portugal with a d7 visa, is the first temporary authorization permit for 1 year? 2 years? 3 years?

and then, i understand that with a two year visa, it is allowed to be out of the country for 6 consecutive months or 8 non-consecutive months. is that correct?

and how about with a one year visa?

thanks so much for your help!

sara

@caiçara,

Answers are in post #2 above.