Portugal D7 visa interview. What is it like?

Hey, I am planning to apply soon for the D7 visa in Portugal. I read that after I get the first Visa from the Portuguese embassy I need to travel to Portugal in order to give the biometrics, submit the original documents, and do an interview with SEF.

I am wondering what do they ask in the interview? does it decide the approval/rejection of my residency? or once I get the first D7 visa from the embassy that means I am already accepted and the interview is just a quick formality just to see me personally while submitting my original documents and biometrics?

Hi,

I cannot speak for others, but in my case, it really was just bringing in the documents and getting the biometrics done. There was no interview per se. 

I received my residence card a few weeks later.

Lorie

Hi,
How easy your application goes and timescales can vary from one council to another, some being more lenient and swifter than others.

LorieAnneC wrote:

Hi,

I cannot speak for others, but in my case, it really was just bringing in the documents and getting the biometrics done. There was no interview per se. 

I received my residence card a few weeks later.

Lorie


Hey, thanks for your reply. That seems pretty easy.

May I know from which country did you apply?

emailfamily wrote:

Hi,
How easy your application goes and timescales can vary from one council to another, some being more lenient and swifter than others.


True, I read that some people got their visa within 10 days and some took them 3 months.

But my main question is about the interview with the SEF after traveling to Portugal, so after getting my visa from the consulate.

I applied in Canada.

I've contacted the Portuguese embassy in India through email and phone. They said the process will take longer than usual because of the covid pandemic. In my case, I have to contact them for the visa process. I still didn't apply and not sure about the duration will take. I'm a freelance software engineer.

I just did my interview last week.

I went to VSF Global then they sent us to the consulate. At VSF they took photos and finger prints.

We waited a while to go in at the consulate and then they asked me why I was going there and about my family and work situation. I had all of the paperwork ready and we did mine, then the rest of my families details. They kept some of the stuff like passports and proof of health insurance etc and asked for my home address to return them to.

I was told we should know in 3 weeks if we have been accepted and our passports returned. The whole thing took a good 2-3 hours between the 2 places, not the 15 minutes on the website, but felt very thorough.

When in Portugal we will then need to set up a meeting with the SEF.

What is the 'biometrics'?

Hi Infodhoule, Welcome :)

Biometric data serve to verify an identity. Usually the following biometric data are collected:

- Photograph / facial recognition
- Fingerprints
- Height

These information, as well as the signature, are made into data and stored with a security reference.

https://www.irn.mj.pt/sections/irn/a_re … o-os-dados

Hello Johnny PT
Thank you for the information.  Are these mandatory when moving to Portugal
or renting for 1 year?

Dominique

If you are not an EU citizen, you will need a visa. These biometric data should also be required for your visa, as LorieAnneC has mentioned above.

hazmog wrote:

I just did my interview last week.

I went to VSF Global then they sent us to the consulate. At VSF they took photos and finger prints.

We waited a while to go in at the consulate and then they asked me why I was going there and about my family and work situation. I had all of the paperwork ready and we did mine, then the rest of my families details. They kept some of the stuff like passports and proof of health insurance etc and asked for my home address to return them to.

I was told we should know in 3 weeks if we have been accepted and our passports returned. The whole thing took a good 2-3 hours between the 2 places, not the 15 minutes on the website, but felt very thorough.

When in Portugal we will then need to set up a meeting with the SEF.


3 weeks? WOW that's fast. Was it for the D7 visa?

In which country did you apply from?

Yes. I'm still waiting though...

hazmog wrote:

Yes. I'm still waiting though...


Oh, so it seems it's more than 3 weeks.

Good luck! I hope you hear back positive news very soon :)

A question about the consulate keeping the passport. I live in Mexico with my interview scheduled for San Francisco. I will need my passport to return to Mexico while I wait. Are they flexible on this? Will they allow me to return to San Francisco so they can insert the visa into my passport?

Hi Rickbecker, Welcome :)

You must put that question by email to the Portuguese Consulate in San Francisco:

https://portaldascomunidades.mne.gov.pt … -francisco

Kind Regards

Obrigado.😁

Hiya!  We just had ours as a family yesterday in San Francisco at the VFS Global office.  We had to wait a while, but they were very thorough with us.  We did not have to go to the Consulate.  Did it all at 110 Sutter.  They told us that they are required to say 4-12 weeks for us to find out from the Consulate... BUT presently applicants are getting their answers on the earlier side of that time table.  Fingers crossed!

FYI-- VFS told us that if we get separate appointments for each family member online, that we can email them a request to have the appointments joined together due to travel reasons.   They will do their best to accommodate.  They did for us.

Good luck!!!

Hello, did you apply for the D7 Digital Nomad Visa through VFS Global in Delhi?
When I contacted VFS, I couldn't find any info about this. Can you please let me know where you applied and how you got the necessary info?

Thanks so much!

dikshantrajbhandari wrote:

Hello, did you apply for the D7 Digital Nomad Visa through VFS Global in Delhi?
When I contacted VFS, I couldn't find any info about this. Can you please let me know where you applied and how you got the necessary info?

Thanks so much!


Hey, I am not from India or in India. I contacted the consulate and VFS offices in Dubai mainly.

However, if you are in Delhi then you should seek information from the consulate or VFS in India as the rules and requirements could vary from one country to another.

I meant to reply to another comment on this thread, but wrote here by mistake lol sorry.

Thanks for responding! :)

dikshantrajbhandari wrote:

I meant to reply to another comment on this thread, but wrote here by mistake lol sorry.

Thanks for responding! :)


Oh, no worries. Good luck😊😊

Hello can anybuddy tell me what is consular fee and processing fee for D7 visa

shamsashaheen77 wrote:

Hello can anybuddy tell me what is consular fee and processing fee for D7 visa


Have you asked your nearest Embassy? They list all the charges and fees.

Hi everyone,

Please note  that a few posts have been removed from the forum.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

Good Day Lorie Ann!

I was wondering if you applied through the Consulate in Vancouver

Hello,

No, it was in Montreal.