Renewing Temp Residency as dependent of spouse of Family Union

Hey everyone,

Can I renew my 2 year temp visa by myself without my spouse going with me?

I ask because I got temp residency thru my spouse being a temp resident.

Spouse went with me during my original appointnent when receiving my first temp card, but do they have to be there again if I am just renewing at this time?

Another question after I complete my next 2 years and apply to change my residency to permanent, can I do that by myself, or does spouse have to go for that appointment?

It is no fun sitting through these waiting lines and if both of us do not need to be there it is much better, especially if one is out of town traveling at the time.

@ExpatUSATravels yes and yes. You just need your spouses ID and signatures on the letters. Be sure you have the letter of apoyo moral.

@drgresidency

Thanks.

And what is apoyo moral?

Plus I've heard that there are no more appointments done online in the city we live in, in Mexico.

So I'm assuming that spouse must be present for office visit to set the appointment.

Or else how can they get my spouse's signature on the original form if they are out of town?

Spouse can sign forms remotely and scan them, have them sent back to me by email or fax and print them out?

If signatures can be done from abroad this will greatly help and save tons of $ for travel expenses.

@drgresidency

When you say "on the letters" do you mean the renewal forms that need to be filled out?

I would love to see which papers need to be filled out by me for my renewal.

@ExpatUSATravels everything is written and drawn up ahead of time. There is nothing signed at the office. Your spouse does not need to be there for any of it.

Here is the link:

https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/renov … rio/INM820

Apoyo moral is a moral support letter that needs to be signed by your spouse.

The other is a renewal letter that needs to be signed by both of you.

I don't know which city you live in but all appointments are requested in person. Your spouse doesn't need to be there for that either as long as you have everything signed.

@drgresidency

Thanks for all the great answers. I will translate that website link to English later tonight, but in the meantime I think you will be more clear than any Mexican official site will be.

Sorry to bother you or sound like an idiot, but I only put half of these pieces of info you gave me together.

So from what you told me - now my questions are:

1)

You typed:

everything is written and drawn up ahead of time.

Q:

When is this done?

Where is it done?

How is this done? Online form I print out and send it in way ahead of time?

I'm assuming yes, because you said spouse does not need to be there for any of it?

2)

You typed:

There is nothing signed at the office. Your spouse does not need to be there for any of it.

Q:

So where does spouse sign this moral support letter?

And (how many days or months before my appointment) does spouse have to sign the "Apoyo moral" (moral support letter)?

Q:

You typed:

The other is a renewal letter that needs to be signed by both of you.

So can that be printed out from the internet and signed by both of us?

Can I just bring these 2 letters (moral support + renewal letter) with me to appointment or must I submit these in person before my appointment?

If this is all I need to do then this seems pretty straight forward.

I'm guessing that all immigration might need is a current electric or water bill....

You typed:

I don't know which city you live in but all appointments are requested in person.

Answer: Playa del Carmen area - Quintana Roo.

By the way - the last appointment I did was initiated online on the immigration website.

We made the appointment online and chose a date - but had to go in person to the appointment of course.

Since that last appointment I have heard that they are now requiring that you go in person to make your appointment.

This is a real big waste of time - especially if they have me in the computer already with my CURP etc...

You typed regarding making the appointment:

Your spouse doesn't need to be there for that either as long as you have everything signed.

Comment: This is the best news that spouses are not required to be in person for any of this renewal stuff.

I say this because we are having some family crisis things happening and my spouse can stay to take care of this international family stuff, and not have to go to Mexico to help me renew. I can go by myself since I am also out of Mexico now.

I just need original signed letters with real ink and not not copies I am guessing.

So I can not have any mistakes on these 2 letters that spouse must sign because I will have to bring them with me when I fly to Mexico.

It is really a shame that we cannot renew my temp residency from a consulate abroad since we are taking care of important things now.

But none-the-less - I will jump on a plane to Mexico and do this whole thing again since that is their rules.

I believe that once you are a holder of a current Passport, Visa, or residency card from any country you should be able to go to the nearest consulate abroad to renew them.

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I take it you've got a business that helps expats that do not want to do things themselves?

You seem to know lots about immigration.

I do not mind doing the renewal myself, since I already have the temp residency card.

Although I did use an immigration helper pro last time when I applied for the card originally.

You can get a Residente Permanente card after being 2 years on a RT card being married to a Mexican National. You can apply 30 days before the RT card expiration date.

@alleycat1

not able to do less than 4 yrs because spouse is not a mexican national.

can one get an appt 45 days before expiration?