One man's ruin is another man's mansion?

I read this article from the New York Times today (unfortunately, it's paywalled, so I'll give you the gist). I have a weakness for their property articles, and I find that their articles about humble New Yorkers searching for property are quite entertaining, and give me quite a boost when I'm down. I mean, sure, I feel life could be better if I had a $500k job in NYC and could afford to buy one of these apartments. But when I see first-time buyers having to plunk down $400k for a studio... and then pay $3k a month in condo fees... and something similar in property taxes. Well, you can imagine, I feel pretty good about my 20 leva condo fee, and my 30 leva in property taxes. :-)

Anyway, I digress... in this article they venture out of NYC and USA... to Japan. Where, apparently, there are "millions" (the population is around 125 million) of abandoned houses. Historically, these houses have been considered worthless, and usually allowed to rot and fall down... but, now, enterprising foreigners are realizing that they represent incredible value and should be renovated.

The parallel is obvious, as Bulgaria is also suffering from a very dramatic population decline, the worst in Europe. But Bulgaria has a substantially lower cost of living, and cost of renovation.

The article is here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/realestate/japan-empty-houses.html

Japan Has Millions of Empty Houses. Want to Buy One for $25,000?

With a shrinking population and more than 10 million abandoned properties, the country is straining to match houses with curious buyers.

Only this morning I watched a YouTube video about a man who left NYC for Japan to start his own Permaculture farm. It was a lovely watch and Japan is such a beautiful country.

@MuddyPuddles

Indeed it is. And some of the abandoned houses are absolutely beautiful. One of the examples in the article is about an American who bought a house built by a Buddhist temple architect, and it is an astonishing property... but he had to spend $500k to renovate it!

Bulgaria is beautiful too, and there are many lovely villages close to national parks or "areas of outstanding beauty". It has a much smaller population of only 7 million, but if there is a similar level of depopulation (I'd guess there is, and the article mentioned 10 million abandoned houses is Japan) that means there are hundreds of thousands of village houses that will potentially be needing a new owner. These village houses are not expensive (let's say 10k-20k euros in their unrenovated state), and you can perhaps spend anything from 10k-50k euros on the renovation.

Plus very low cost of living... and cheap Ryanair flights back to the UK when you feel the need to pop over and say hello to your parents.

As you can see, I'm a fan. :-) Now 6 years here and a permanent resident... and delighted with our move. Just wish I'd done it 20 years earlier.