Sense of humour in Bulgaria

Hello everyone,

Should we set out to explore Bulgarian's culture through its sense of humour? Indeed, if one is planning to settle in the country, it is best to understand the cultural codes governing humour in order to avoid any faux-pas.

What is special about the sense of humour in Bulgaria?

Is it acceptable to joke about any situations?

What is typically funny and what is absolutely not funny?

Are there any popular comedians in Bulgaria and how would one be able to discover them (stand-up shows, festivals, internet, etc.)?

What is the funniest joke you have heard in Bulgaria?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

I´m quite new in the country and doesn´t speak the langugage fully yet but consider the people to have all sorts of humour, have not noticed anything forbidden to joke about. And if you are able to joke about yourself, it´s aways new situations coming up as a stranger they will love you!

About comedians I really haven´t found out yet. Sorry! But I found people very laid back and very generous with a so far great humour.

Bulgaria is in the Balkans: people in Balkan countries have a very specific sense of humour, which personally I don't share at all - like Queen Victoria, I am distinctly unamused by most Bulgarian "jokes" and "comedians". :D

People aren't as easily offended in BG. It's a lot easier to joke around here than back in the States.

a typical example  :|

A rather drunk lieutenant formed up the platoon:
"Soldiers, why is the formation so crooked?"
"Because the Earth is round!" - someone called out.
"Who said that?"
"Galileo."
"Galileo, step forward!"
"But he has died long ago!"
"So then?! People here are dying, and no one is reporting this to me?"

*Joke was translated from Bulgarian*

another one.

You are a vegetarian. Why do you eat rabbits?' the doctor asks a patience.

'This is a form of vengeance. They eat cabbage,' the patient replies.

I am happy to say there are very few if any "PC  Snowflakes" in Bulgaria so since 2007 I have had no problems with my sense of humour in Bulgaria, and being ex-military some of it is an acquired taste.

Terry Evans