Post-Covid-19 situation in Thailand

Hello everyone,

The COVID-19 pandemic had a huge impact on the world, including on expats' lives. Travel restrictions, business closures, budget cuts, and health measures have created unprecedented challenges for those who have chosen to live in Thailand.

Now that the pandemic is moderated, expats are adjusting to a new daily routine. So tell us, how is your expat life now:

Are there still any health measures in place in Thailand? If so, what are they (wearing a mask, barrier measures, etc.)?

Have you noticed any changes in the population's habits or behavior after the pandemic?

What is your new work rhythm: do you still work remotely or are you spending more time in the office?

Have you changed your spending habits? If so, which ones?

Despite this pandemic and its consequences, how do you see your future in Thailand?

Do you have any advice for other expats and future expats on this new daily life in Thailand?

Thank you for your contribution.
Mickael
Expat.com team

Hello

I often see these posts that look to be gathering info for a news article or

research paper. I don't mind contributing if I have something worthwhile

to add.

Am I wrong to assume this is for research or what is the purpose?

Thais here in Thailand still wear masks but more out of habit and perhaps because of the very bad air here. Nothing changed much for me. I stopped wearing a mask at the first opportunity and have never gotten sick. I am a bit worried about all the bad data coming out on these vaccines I got. My daughter is a doc who advised me against getting any vaccine but I really had no choice if we wanted to travel. Now she says she's seeing many patients having complications from these vaccines, including a high cancer rate, so I guess I'll wait and see. I no longer trust the US government, CDC or WHO anymore. Pretty clear from the data now we were all lied to about this disease and it's origin. My daughter said early on it was not possible this strain came from an animal and had to have come from a lab. Looks like she was right. Hopefully those like Fauci are held responsible for their roles in this. I'm not a political person. I simply don't care about politics or politicians. I belong to no party and never would. I just see what's going on from both sides. As a lawyer of 32 years I'm pretty good at separating the BS from the reliable data. I've come to my own conclusions.

Official government mandates on mask wearing have been relaxed, but most of the population still wears them everywhere in public - especially on the skytrain and subway. Some people don't wear them anywhere - mostly foreigners - but this is considered discourteous.

Our team at [link moderated] is in the office 4 days a week, working one day remotely with a hybrid approach, but many of the offices around us are empty day after day as teams have shifted to remote working.

It seems like people who live here are traveling less, but that might also be because there is a sudden influx of visitors from China, Russia, and other countries, so the prices of hotels and and flights are high.

Expats in Thailand seem to be generally feeling very positive about the next ten years here. The government and population kept it stable throughout COVID, there's relatively little inflation, and there are a lot of business and political opportunities on the rise.

Thailand was recently ranked #60 on a list of happiest countries, but expats who live here will almost universally tell you they think it should be #1. That might only speak to the expat experience here, but it's a strong endorsement. Thailand is more expensive, especially Bangkok, than many people realize unless they're here, and it can take awhile for expats to really grasp all the nuances of the country (some of them never seem to, either). But it's a rare and unique and rewarding experience to live here.

Moderated by Mickael last year
Reason : No advertising on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thais here in Thailand still wear masks but more out of habit and perhaps because of the very bad air here. Nothing changed much for me. I stopped wearing a mask at the first opportunity and have never gotten sick. I am a bit worried about all the bad data coming out on these vaccines I got. My daughter is a doc who advised me against getting any vaccine but I really had no choice if we wanted to travel. Now she says she's seeing many patients having complications from these vaccines, including a high cancer rate, so I guess I'll wait and see. I no longer trust the US government, CDC or WHO anymore. Pretty clear from the data now we were all lied to about this disease and it's origin. My daughter said early on it was not possible this strain came from an animal and had to have come from a lab. Looks like she was right. Hopefully those like Fauci are held responsible for their roles in this. I'm not a political person. I simply don't care about politics or politicians. I belong to no party and never would. I just see what's going on from both sides. As a lawyer of 32 years I'm pretty good at separating the BS from the reliable data. I've come to my own conclusions.
-@WDO59

"I no longer trust the US government, CDC or WHO anymore. Pretty clear from the data now we were all lied to about this disease and it's origin."

You're just another paranoid US citizen.

Official government mandates on mask wearing have been relaxed, but most of the population still wears them everywhere in public - especially on the skytrain and subway. Some people don't wear them anywhere - mostly foreigners - but this is considered discourteous.

Our team at [link moderated] is in the office 4 days a week, working one day remotely with a hybrid approach, but many of the offices around us are empty day after day as teams have shifted to remote working.

It seems like people who live here are traveling less, but that might also be because there is a sudden influx of visitors from China, Russia, and other countries, so the prices of hotels and and flights are high.

Expats in Thailand seem to be generally feeling very positive about the next ten years here. The government and population kept it stable throughout COVID, there's relatively little inflation, and there are a lot of business and political opportunities on the rise.

Thailand was recently ranked #60 on a list of happiest countries, but expats who live here will almost universally tell you they think it should be #1. That might only speak to the expat experience here, but it's a strong endorsement. Thailand is more expensive, especially Bangkok, than many people realize unless they're here, and it can take awhile for expats to really grasp all the nuances of the country (some of them never seem to, either). But it's a rare and unique and rewarding experience to live here.
-@AHBKK

"Official government mandates on mask wearing have been relaxed, but most of the population still wears them everywhere in public."

Pure nonsense! There are no mandates on mask wearing what so ever, and "most of the population " don't wear masks anywhere in public. Maybe you   should leave your condo once in a while and also take a trip outside BKK.

@WDO59

Like you, I've observed the continued wearing of masks in both Bangkok and in Isaan where I live and personally believe it is not helpful very helpful to wear a mask especially now with the temperatures sometimes reaching over a hundred degrees F.  It is my observation that when Thais in both urban and rural areas see me without a mask they immediately bring up their mask or adjust it.  Is this an "Anutin invoked reflex" or is it just my classic catholic guilt complex rearing it's golden head which I thought I smelted years ago?

While you say you are not a member of a political party many of your points come right out of a particular teams playbook.  Just a coincidence I'm sure but given the downward spiral of that particular team I would think you might want to distance yourself from some of that negativity.

"People with high levels of cynical distrust may be more likely to develop dementia, according to a study published in the May 28, 2014, online issue of Neurology®, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology." (internet post)

Our time on this planet is short and for this reason I spoke up as I thought that I could make a difference in your rather negative outlook on life for all of our sake.  We are in this together whether we like it or not.  Let's help each other succeed in life, because frankly it isn't always easy.

Just my 2 baht.

Hello
to add.
-@scbrock

Hello scbrock,

No, these posts are neither for research purposes nor for a news article.

Once in a while, we like to have our members opinions and thought about current issues as we think that this can be of great importance to future expatriates who are planning to make a move to a new country. In this case it would be Thailand1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hello
to add.
-@scbrock
Hello scbrock,

No, these posts are neither for research purposes nor for a news article.

Once in a while, we like to have our members opinions and thought about current issues as we think that this can be of great importance to future expatriates who are planning to make a move to a new country. In this case it would be Thailand1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee
Expat.com team
-@Yoginee

Ok, that makes sense I see they do spark a conversation with varying viewpoints

as we are seeing with this one. Thank you

My take on the masks in Thailand is there is truth in several posts. I believe

part of it is out of habit and especially where there are crowds it is a courtesy

to others.

The one reason that I would add is I think it protects from the sun. I see many

riding a motorbike wearing a mask and it doesn't provide any virus spreading

help. Many Thais don't want to be dark skinned. I had a gf that would always

wear a hat and a mask when going outdoors and she said she didn't want her

face to be dark.

@WDO59 I also still wear a mask in public indoor spaces. After 3 years I am getting used to and I feel «naked» without a mask...

@Leeds forever!  Here in Hua Hin, most Thais wear a mask in places like Market Village and Blúport. I also still wear a mask in these locations. Most foreigners don't wear a mask.

@Mickael as a person who got pharmaceutical degree over 40 years ago I was astounded with the overwhelming stupidity imposed over a basic seasonal flu with case-mortality rate of <1% as in Australia. Also noted how easily locals were brainwashed into wearing face masks even in the open (without a crowd around).

@WDO59 Typical conspiracy theory talk... and all kinds of vaccines down the decades have resulted in unfortunate mild and not so mild side effects for a minority of folk. I'm guessing you watch YouTube quite regularly.

And you show how naive you are by suggesting that the wearing of masks was meant to stop the wearer from catching covid 19. Absolutely naive...  masks were worn to stop the wearer from passing the disease on, not to stop them catching  it.

It's the same concept as surgeons wearing masks... to stop them breathing out germs into opened up flesh.

@Leeds forever! S.

@juehoe Spot on. After 3 years he still hasn't grasped that masks are to stop the wearer spreading germs... he still things they are to stop the wearer catching germs.

@Leeds forever! Spot on. After 3 years he still hasn't grasped that masks are to stop the wearer spreading germs... he still things they are to stop the wearer catching germs.

@Leeds forever! Spot on. After 3 years he still hasn't grasped that masks are to stop the wearer spreading germs... he still things they are to stop the wearer catching germs.
-@Jazz Funk John

One reason some thai people still wear masks in public is the fact that they actually believes the *** they read from so called experts.

@Leeds forever! while there are no mandates anymore, a lot of thais still wear masks. and from the previous post: you obviously are a conspiracy follower.

@Leeds forever! while there are no mandates anymore, a lot of thais still wear masks. and from the previous post: you obviously are a conspiracy follower.
-@kschindl

There were Thai people wearing masks even before the pandemic for different reasons and they're still doing it. Some unvaccinated people are wearing masks, I know a few. *** A conspiracy theorist doesn't listen to science, which I do. The latest released research from WHO about wearing masks during the pandemic couldn't show any major advantage in wearing them. Go figure. The topic I responded to said that mask mandates were still in effect which is wrong. Try to understand that this is about Thailand and we're talking about ***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : No personal attacks please.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Personal attacks should not be made to each other

Haha lighten up guys.   I think we all need a cold beverage in this Summer heat.