Is 1 million Thai baht too much for Sin sod Thailand

Hi friends,

I'll explain my circumstance and appreciate any constructive advice. Try not to judge me too much or tear me apart if you do. I've done my research on the topic and understand the sliding scale on expected sin sod ie. 100k - 500k typically, not more than a mil unless they are exceptionally wealthy. I respect the tradition, providing it was requested in a non exploitative context.

Me: Aussie, 35, not rich but have a reasonable qty of shares and crypto, no cash, no property as I re schooled after returning from overseas work … just graduated, no full time work yet unfortunately.

Her: She is unlike any Thai girl I've dated before, she's legit and at the risk of sounding corny, she's the one. I've known her for almost a year, our relationship is amazing and we spend hours every day together. Pretty much can't imagine not having her in my life now.

Her parents are pretty wealthy, have multiple properties and farms there in a city like Korat. Lives in one of those massive multi-storey mansions you see there on a huge block. They each have high up government positions, wealthy aunts there and here in Oz and take care of their mum and a cousin from the not so wealthy aunt. They definitely don't need me to save them, the house they live in is already hers and her mum and aunts are also promising land for us to build on if I wanted.

I have a great relationship with all of the family I mentioned plus her friends and I know them well and talk often bar the dad who is hard out Thai and no English . They love me too and have sent me care packages and things. I've only so far given her a small symbolic necklace as a token of you know.

She's 18 and still on her v's, and we plan to get married mid next year. It's come the time for discussion and she's been worried about it for a while because he's had a 5 mil price in his head for years. That is what he then asked for which I politely explained was far too much and most people wouldn't have that laying around unless they are filthy rich and silly enough not to have it invested already.

They've discussed it and it seems he would be happy with 1 mil but expect me to cover wedding costs also and I'm assuming the traditional gold in addition. I've indicated to her it's a more possible figure but I still feel it's a bit much. She doesn't have a degree yet but they will be paying for her uni there. Her mum feels bad about the demands and is the one fighting for me there. She's threatened to sell her property there to make it work and wants to cover half the wedding cost and said they will pass on the cash back envelopes. As far as I know he intends to keep the sin sod for her in future ie. not return it.

I dont want to offend him if possible, I don't mind investing into the family but the fact is half of that could be better used as a deposit for property here in future in Oz rather than kept for nothing. I need to get a place here anyway for investment purposes.

I may be inclined to offer 500k plus costs or worst case not more than 1 mil all in. Am I way off the mark here or is that really a bit too steep?

Dazzling Racoon wrote:

Hi friends,

I'll explain my circumstance and appreciate any constructive advice. Try not to judge me too much or tear me apart if you do. I've done my research on the topic and understand the sliding scale on expected sin sod ie. 100k - 500k typically, not more than a mil unless they are exceptionally wealthy. I respect the tradition, providing it was requested in a non exploitative context.

Me: Aussie, 35, not rich but have a reasonable qty of shares and crypto, no cash, no property as I re schooled after returning from overseas work … just graduated, no full time work yet unfortunately.

Her: She is unlike any Thai girl I've dated before, she's legit and at the risk of sounding corny, she's the one. I've known her for almost a year, our relationship is amazing and we spend hours every day together. Pretty much can't imagine not having her in my life now.

Her parents are pretty wealthy, have multiple properties and farms there in a city like Korat. Lives in one of those massive multi-storey mansions you see there on a huge block. They each have high up government positions, wealthy aunts there and here in Oz and take care of their mum and a cousin from the not so wealthy aunt. They definitely don't need me to save them, the house they live in is already hers and her mum and aunts are also promising land for us to build on if I wanted.

I have a great relationship with all of the family I mentioned plus her friends and I know them well and talk often bar the dad who is hard out Thai and no English . They love me too and have sent me care packages and things. I've only so far given her a small symbolic necklace as a token of you know.

She's 18 and still on her v's, and we plan to get married mid next year. It's come the time for discussion and she's been worried about it for a while because he's had a 5 mil price in his head for years. That is what he then asked for which I politely explained was far too much and most people wouldn't have that laying around unless they are filthy rich and silly enough not to have it invested already.

They've discussed it and it seems he would be happy with 1 mil but expect me to cover wedding costs also and I'm assuming the traditional gold in addition. I've indicated to her it's a more possible figure but I still feel it's a bit much. She doesn't have a degree yet but they will be paying for her uni there. Her mum feels bad about the demands and is the one fighting for me there. She's threatened to sell her property there to make it work and wants to cover half the wedding cost and said they will pass on the cash back envelopes. As far as I know he intends to keep the sin sod for her in future ie. not return it.

I dont want to offend him if possible, I don't mind investing into the family but the fact is half of that could be better used as a deposit for property here in future in Oz rather than kept for nothing. I need to get a place here anyway for investment purposes.

I may be inclined to offer 500k plus costs or worst case not more than 1 mil all in. Am I way off the mark here or is that really a bit too steep?

If I were you, I would say bye bye to this girl incl. her family. You seem very naive. It's 2021 now, not 1971. If a girl/family asks for 5mil, then everyone with half a brain knows it's a rip-off. Even 500k is way to much. A piece of advice,  dump the girl and grow up.

I being here nearly 11 years now.

And it have never being "normal" that Sin Sod is pay.
The first few years out of respect for they Thai parrent in Thai+Thai wedding.
Some money was shown off for every to see, Then giving right back to man (Often that money was put together from the man and female, Sometime both family help out).

But Even back then, The Thai we know didnt like it, And like I say after a few years, It was simple drop, No one wanted to use time and Energy on "showing money".

I being to 1 Thai+Thai wedding where a big Sin Sod was pay in my time.

No Thai+Foreigner wedding i go to, Have there being a Big Sin Sod.
Not saying it dont happened.

Some times the foreigner is ask to give a symbol Sin Sod of 10.000-50.000 Baht.

The party if it is done like every wedding we gone to.
It pays for itself, The money coming in is bigger that what the wedding cost.
Here i am talking about the wedding party with food, drinks and entertainment.

What about you ?
What are your "tradition" ??

Dont simple do it the "Thai way", Unless that what you want to.

My wife family ask me before we married.
What the tradition is in my country, And i told them.
The wife parrent pay for party, and a big big dowry.
And we normal have small partys for it.

So they say, A small party and we all be happy about that ?
And it was small, Very small.
My wife near family and my mother was all we needed.

We did not go to the temple, As that not me.
Same way IF we have married back home, I never want to "Force" my wife to get married in a church.

My wife wanted Pre wedding pictures, cost 10.000 baht for every thing, Picture on 2 location, And picture at the Place we use, Where they have 3-4 various backgrounds.
3 large Picture in frames and 3 wedding picture book.

Additional payment for a trip for us for some days.

You only know her for a bit more then a year, Why the rush to get married ?

Hope the best for you.

Kindly.

If you are being hit up for a SinSod, you are signing up for a nightmare marriage. My advice is RUN.

Thais are their own worst enemies.  They know its stupid but they like to hold on to the old traditions. Their country is poor and development faulters because they can not pull their own heads out of their collective arses.  This is not going to change until "tradition" is relegated to display & ceremony only and reality is in control.

If the girl and or the family are not progressive and still require you jump through all the old traditional hoops, you are buying a cow and you can be expect to be used as a human ATM from that time on.   RUN, run as fast as you can and do not look back.

Dazzling Racoon wrote:

Hi friends...

People who are in Thailand and who have lived there a while know much more about this than me.

My only personal experience is having been supportive for my cousin in Thailand when he was facing a similar situation.

But my thoughts are more about negotiation.

You know you are in a negotiation, correct?

Maybe your head does but your little head doesn't.

And of course the father knows this and will use that knowledge to his advantage, as expected.

But if this is truly a negotiation, you will never be successful if you are not willing to walk away.

I'm not saying you should.

I'm just saying that as long as her father knows that you are not willing to walk away, he's not going to budge.

As we sometimes say in America, he knows he has you by the short hairs.

So what in the world can you do?

Well first of all your instinct to be respectful is always recommended in negotiations.

It's never a good thing to try and use anger to impress the other person.

Much better to employ humility.

You've got to figure out your own bottom line, or should I say your top line.

You just convince yourself of an amount which you feel is respectful to her and respectful to the family.

Then you do two things:

You deeply apologize to the father and to her.

You can say something about your deep and committed love and how she is the only woman for you.

But you follow that with the amount you are willing to offer.

You apologize for any offense at offering an amount that is not acceptable to them.

Then you will await their reply which will likely be a rejection of your offer.

Then you express your sincere hope for the family's success and her happiness.

Then you say goodbye.

Maybe you will hear from them again and maybe you won't.

None of us here in the forum really know your situation and all the players involved.

But if you are basically going to negotiate for the right to marry a woman, that's my suggestion.

Run for the hills!!!

I don't mean to judge but you said she is 18 yrs old. I think it's too young my own
opinion. Thai ladies I've met in their mid-20's were still pretty immature.

But, there are exceptions. I can only say give it time and do all the research you can

There are all sorts of reasons to run away !

Her family is rich, wanted 5mil ... discounted her down to 1mil and you know her for 1 year only ... and want to marry her next year, she is a virgin and you infer you have not bedded her....

Where is she regards education ... still in high school I guess.... ARE YOU INSANE ?

This is a bogus post .... has to be .... you got us !!

I think you are the only one who can judge if you should pay the amount or not.
If you really love her, and you believe in her and her family, and you are ready to lose the money, then follow your heart and mind.

The family has money .... you have to think why the family was asking 5mil ... then discount to 1mil baht. Love is blind and the heart stupid, this guy if his story is real, is cruising for a bruising.

This is very likely to end badly for him.

The family  or father is taking you for a ride
I live in rural Thailand and the family of my wife did not want a Baht Sinsod
It is an old tradition from the previous the1800 where the groom gave a buffalow or ten cows for sinsod
It is like buying a cow when you pay sinsod.
If you really want to give something invest a million Baht in your name for her and show the dad this.
They are wealthy according to you they do not need the money
Let her first finish University before you marry. An eighteen year old Thai lady is going to get bored
There are millions of well educated beautiful Thai ladies in Thailand.
Also explain to her that the brides parents pay for the wedding in European countries and that you will maybe pay half but then the envelopes received at teh wedding you would want half of the "collection"
Do not be taken for a fool I am sorry to say

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : foul language + personal attacks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
tallpoppy wrote:

Her family is rich, wanted 5mil ... discounted her down to 1mil and you know her for 1 year only ... and want to marry her next year, she is a virgin and you infer you have not bedded her....

Where is she regards education ... still in high school I guess.... ARE YOU INSANE ?

It does read like a letter from The Penthouse Forum...

:D

I was asked for Sin Sod and we worked out the expenses for the modest 100 person wedding and other expenses then the family put up  gold and cash from the bank to make a good show at the wedding ... so family attending think I am decently well off ... you are not Thail and should push for your social standards ... my life returned to the USA for 9 years and learned all about my culture , now we have settle here full-time in my retirement .. an I am not the local piggy bank ... that over blown amount is for movie stars when you get then you let me know and I will come to your wedding and drink your imported whiskey .... good luck ... married 10 years with money in the bank

I appreciate everyone's response, it took a while but seems there's actually quite a few replies now. I'll go though them one by one but let me assure you this is a real case and that I'm intending to marry “this girl” and not just  “a Thai girl”.

I appreciate the response. Not sure what you mean naive, I am analytical and that's what I'm doing now but ok. Again 5 mil is what he's been dreaming of all along until I laughed it off. I'll say it clearly I'll not be leaving this girl. What do you mean grow up I'm an old dude?

Never done that wrote:

I being here nearly 11 years now.

And it have never being "normal" that Sin Sod is pay.
The first few years out of respect for they Thai parrent in Thai+Thai wedding.
Some money was shown off for every to see, Then giving right back to man (Often that money was put together from the man and female, Sometime both family help out).

But Even back then, The Thai we know didnt like it, And like I say after a few years, It was simple drop, No one wanted to use time and Energy on "showing money".

I being to 1 Thai+Thai wedding where a big Sin Sod was pay in my time.

No Thai+Foreigner wedding i go to, Have there being a Big Sin Sod.
Not saying it dont happened.

Some times the foreigner is ask to give a symbol Sin Sod of 10.000-50.000 Baht.

The party if it is done like every wedding we gone to.
It pays for itself, The money coming in is bigger that what the wedding cost.
Here i am talking about the wedding party with food, drinks and entertainment.

What about you ?
What are your "tradition" ??

Dont simple do it the "Thai way", Unless that what you want to.

My wife family ask me before we married.
What the tradition is in my country, And i told them.
The wife parrent pay for party, and a big big dowry.
And we normal have small partys for it.

So they say, A small party and we all be happy about that ?
And it was small, Very small.
My wife near family and my mother was all we needed.

We did not go to the temple, As that not me.
Same way IF we have married back home, I never want to "Force" my wife to get married in a church.

My wife wanted Pre wedding pictures, cost 10.000 baht for every thing, Picture on 2 location, And picture at the Place we use, Where they have 3-4 various backgrounds.
3 large Picture in frames and 3 wedding picture book.

Additional payment for a trip for us for some days.

You only know her for a bit more then a year, Why the rush to get married ?

Hope the best for you.

Kindly.

In my tradition we would waste large amount on an engagement ring which I would assume be saved in this circumstance. I've been assured to recollect the earnings from the wedding including half of the wedding costs itself. No rush to get married but this is the girl I will marry.

tallpoppy wrote:

If you are being hit up for a SinSod, you are signing up for a nightmare marriage. My advice is RUN.

Thais are their own worst enemies.  They know its stupid but they like to hold on to the old traditions. Their country is poor and development faulters because they can not pull their own heads out of their collective arses.  This is not going to change until "tradition" is relegated to display & ceremony only and reality is in control.

If the girl and or the family are not progressive and still require you jump through all the old traditional hoops, you are buying a cow and you can be expect to be used as a human ATM from that time on.   RUN, run as fast as you can and do not look back.

I don't expect to be used as an atm, although a sinsod is still a big hit and needs to be weighed against risk vs reward. I wouldn't expect them to abandon their traditions but definitely needs to be assessed in alignment with realistic expectations.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Dazzling Racoon wrote:

Hi friends...

People who are in Thailand and who have lived there a while know much more about this than me.

My only personal experience is having been supportive for my cousin in Thailand when he was facing a similar situation.

But my thoughts are more about negotiation.

You know you are in a negotiation, correct?

Maybe your head does but your little head doesn't.

And of course the father knows this and will use that knowledge to his advantage, as expected.

But if this is truly a negotiation, you will never be successful if you are not willing to walk away.

I'm not saying you should.

I'm just saying that as long as her father knows that you are not willing to walk away, he's not going to budge.

As we sometimes say in America, he knows he has you by the short hairs.

So what in the world can you do?

Well first of all your instinct to be respectful is always recommended in negotiations.

It's never a good thing to try and use anger to impress the other person.

Much better to employ humility.

You've got to figure out your own bottom line, or should I say your top line.

You just convince yourself of an amount which you feel is respectful to her and respectful to the family.

Then you do two things:

You deeply apologize to the father and to her.

You can say something about your deep and committed love and how she is the only woman for you.

But you follow that with the amount you are willing to offer.

You apologize for any offense at offering an amount that is not acceptable to them.

Then you will await their reply which will likely be a rejection of your offer.

Then you express your sincere hope for the family's success and her happiness.

Then you say goodbye.

Maybe you will hear from them again and maybe you won't.

None of us here in the forum really know your situation and all the players involved.

But if you are basically going to negotiate for the right to marry a woman, that's my suggestion.

I'm not in negotiation yet but anticipate I will be shortly. You make a good point about communicating a willingness to walk away, but it could challenging being I speak to him through her and her mother currently due to the language barrier.

I can't say it's this or nothing to her but maybe she can say that to him.

Roadhog wrote:

Run for the hills!!!

The hills … that's where she lives! Sound advice

Dazzling Racoon wrote:

I appreciate the response. Not sure what you mean naive, I am analytical and that's what I'm doing now but ok. Again 5 mil is what he's been dreaming of all along until I laughed it off. I'll say it clearly I'll not be leaving this girl. What do you mean grow up I'm an old dude?

Your profile says you are in Australia not Thailand. Where are you located?
At 35 you are NOT an old dude you are approaching middle age. Whether you are naïve or not is subjective.
I feel you are getting set up for a failed marriage. Also IF you give this money up you have no recourse to recover your money. You are a foreigner and have very few rights. The family is made up of high ranking government people.
My opinion is you are potentially being set up.

scbrock wrote:

I don't mean to judge but you said she is 18 yrs old. I think it's too young my own
opinion. Thai ladies I've met in their mid-20's were still pretty immature.

But, there are exceptions. I can only say give it time and do all the research you can

Point taken but I have to say I'm immature myself, or matched well with a girl like that for example. Actually she's so smart and absolutely incredible. I've dated many Thai and Asian girls and it comes down to the core principles. You can't have all 3. You can have beautiful and young but she needs money. She doesn't need money but she's not beautiful or young. She's beautiful and young but not smart. What if you found a girl that's beautiful, young, smart and wealthy? And for whatever reason she chooses me? You're up for a sin sod is what is seems.

tallpoppy wrote:

They have a history of 5-10 mil in their family, hence the expectation. That's huge and I explained that, and her mother in my advocacy told him it's not feasible. I want to be with her I love her I don't care about anything else. Yes being in Thailand they are behind in year cycles so she's still finishing school at 18 but it will be a year until anything happens.

I appreciate it might me exceptional but not bogus.

LasseS wrote:

I think you are the only one who can judge if you should pay the amount or not.
If you really love her, and you believe in her and her family, and you are ready to lose the money, then follow your heart and mind.

Thank you for your kind words and yes, I do believe in her.

tallpoppy wrote:

The family has money .... you have to think why the family was asking 5mil ... then discount to 1mil baht. Love is blind and the heart stupid, this guy if his story is real, is cruising for a bruising.

This is very likely to end badly for him.

Basically because I explained to her about the cost of living in Oz and the unrealistic expectations of that kind of a demand. Her and her mother demanded a lesser amount on my behalf as they want this and the sin sod is a barrier.

barrytaylor wrote:

The family  or father is taking you for a ride
I live in rural Thailand and the family of my wife did not want a Baht Sinsod
It is an old tradition from the previous the1800 where the groom gave a buffalow or ten cows for sinsod
It is like buying a cow when you pay sinsod.
If you really want to give something invest a million Baht in your name for her and show the dad this.
They are wealthy according to you they do not need the money
Let her first finish University before you marry. An eighteen year old Thai lady is going to get bored
There are millions of well educated beautiful Thai ladies in Thailand.
Also explain to her that the brides parents pay for the wedding in European countries and that you will maybe pay half but then the envelopes received at teh wedding you would want half of the "collection"
Do not be taken for a fool I am sorry to say

Yea I get what you're saying and I also feel it shouldn't be paid. Regardless of her state that sin sod is going to remain and needs to be negotiated. At least they plan to pay for her uni regardless of status and for sure the entire envelopes come my way.

They don't need the cash and it will come back, my concern is that kind of cash of course I have invested now gathering returns rather than sitting there.

timodinero wrote:

Interested in what you had to say but I guess we'll never know

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
tallpoppy wrote:

It does read like a letter from The Penthouse Forum...

:D

Dude it's not that far fetched is it?? I appreciated your previous response btw

LAZARUSDAL wrote:

I was asked for Sin Sod and we worked out the expenses for the modest 100 person wedding and other expenses then the family put up  gold and cash from the bank to make a good show at the wedding ... so family attending think I am decently well off ... you are not Thail and should push for your social standards ... my life returned to the USA for 9 years and learned all about my culture , now we have settle here full-time in my retirement .. an I am not the local piggy bank ... that over blown amount is for movie stars when you get then you let me know and I will come to your wedding and drink your imported whiskey .... good luck ... married 10 years with money in the bank

Noted and I appreciate your well wishes

pogiwayne wrote:
Dazzling Racoon wrote:

Your profile says you are in Australia not Thailand. Where are you located?
At 35 you are NOT an old dude you are approaching middle age. Whether you are naïve or not is subjective.
I feel you are getting set up for a failed marriage. Also IF you give this money up you have no recourse to recover your money. You are a foreigner and have very few rights. The family is made up of high ranking government people.
My opinion is you are potentially being set up.

I hear you. It's serious business thus the need for public forum. What would you think I'm being set up for being this is something instigated between me and my girl?

I have lived here for 3 years so compared to some my XP is limited. I have seen Thai-Thai marriages where 100k Baht was given and not returned. I have seen Thai-Thai marriages where 30k was given and kept. I have only witnessed one western-Thai marriage and he pit up a lot of baht. Not sure on the amount or whether he got it back. My wife is from Chaiyaphum which is very poor. The village she comes from is very poor. Her parents were very poor. My wife was 35 when we married. She was previously married once and had a daughter with special needs.

When we were planning our wedding and I asked about sinsod. My wife talked to her parents. The reply was, "we don't care about that. We only want you to love each other and be happy." I actually pushed for the sinsod for respect for her family. She asked her parents if they would keep it or give it back. They said it would be ours and not theirs. They were so poor they were not able to pay for their pickup. My mother-in-law had to take out loans for my wife's daughter because she needed surgery to stay alive. They owed 300k. And still they didn't ask for anything. They made it clear we had to pay for our wedding. They did give back every baht of sinsod but kept the gold because they were gifts from me.

I put up 100K baht. I gave her, her mother and her father 1baht gold each. 1baht gold is 15.6 grams I also bought them a 7040 Kubota tractor. Her family had acquired 80 rai of land from my wifes grandfather because her mother took care of him when he got old. She got the biggest piece of land. They couldn't make it on the sugarcane farming.

My wife was educated at a technical college in Korat. We have been married 3 years. We have 2 beautiful children and we are very happy together. We spent almost 3 years paying off her families debts and converting their sugarcane farm to produce silk. They went from feast or famine once a year payday as slaves to the sugarcane factory to having a once a month payday. They can now pay their own through life.

We lived in her village at my mother-in-laws place. We made a nice bedroom and bathroom for us. At 50 I ain't squattin' on a toilet. We now live happily in Chiang Mai where our son will be starting school next May. Our daught about a year after that.

It all comes down to what are you comfortable with. Most westerners would never have given to their wife's family what I gave. Keep in mind her family was desperately poor and never asked for anything but for me to love their daughter.

Your situation is different. If this girl is beautiful-Chaching! If she is a virgin-Chaching! If she is educated-Chaching! It all adds up. If she is the only daughter-Chaching! It all adds up.

The Thai's have their own way. If she is their only daughter then she will be expected to take care of her parents when they get old. That means everything from doctors visits, cooking and cleaning to finacial support. You have to understand exactly what you are getting into. I knew all of this up front and told my wife I was only going to provide financial aid as long as we lived at my in-laws house and until they were well of enough to pay their own way. It took 3 years but....

If she is "the one" and you "are marrying" her then why are you asking about this?

Everyone does what they feel like, but out of caution I save this post so that you can't possibly complain in the future

I would like you to keep us posted on how this turns out (maybe the next 3 to 5 years). I have been living in Thailand for 26 of the past 29 years and I have never seen a situation like this. Most Thais don't practice Sin Sod anymore. If they do, it's not for this kind of money. This sounds like a set up from the girl's father. I'm not saying for sure it is, but it sure sounds fishy.

I have heard of situations where the Thai girls marry a foreigner, ask for money to buy houses, cars, land, etc. all in the girl's name. Then as soon as the ink on the marriage documents dry she has the locks on the doors changed and has the police issue orders to keep away as the divorce gets settled. All as a complete surprise to the husband. These are scams and they were always meant to be scams. I'm not saying yours is, but it sure sounds odd and like how those scams were set up.

I would be very cautious and set up an arrangement where the money goes into an account where both you and your wife would have to sign for it to be withdrawn. If they refuse, you know something is being plotted and I would act like I'm not interested in getting married at this point.

Good luck on this decision. I hope it goes well, as it seems you have already made up your mind. People do what they ultimately want or wish to be true. It doesn't always turn out as you want or wish in the end. Let us know how this turns out. It could help future cases like this so others won't get scammed, if this is in fact a scam.

Its amazing that almost 100% of the responses have been "RUNNNNNN".

You will make your own decision and your own mistakes but you have the consider the following RED FLAGS as you make your decision

*she is 18...No chance in the world that your going to be her last man.
*1 million? WTF?
*Mom and dad are loaded so the $$ is for what?
*Your asking advice on how to buy a wife guy!

Good luck and I hope everything works out!

The red flag that she is 18 and a virgin is the hardest to believe. That means this man has never had sex with her, so he doesn't even know for sure if she actually is a virgin or just saying she is. Also, if she did have sex with some boyfriend in high school, do you think she is going to tell her father or her potential husband? Why would you pay 1 or 5 million for a girl you have never even slept with?

Why would the father insist on 5 million, then the mother try to discount it to 1 million? Where did the 5 million figure come from and why was it so easily discounted to 1 million? Both are outrageous amounts for Sid Sod. They are rich, do you have any idea why? Maybe they have done this before and that is how they got rich. The figure doesn't seem to mean anything. They are trying to get as much as they can and when the 5 million figure was laughed at they had the mother try to argue to have it reduced to 1 million. It seems like they were trying to get as much as they could so they started high and when it became apparent it was too high, they had the mother argue for a reduction to find what figure was not too high. If this is actually Sin Sod, they would have a set figure based on the family standing. It would not be negotiated. This is not an actual Sin Sod because they seem to be fishing for the right amount to make the man pay it.

What is they money for? If they are already rich. The amount should be used to set up a good married life for her and her husband. Therefore, have the money put into an account where both husband and wife have to sign for it to withdrawal it. That way the money is there for both to use it to make the marriage get off to a good start and to make some initial purchases where both agree. If they refuse this idea, then the money is not for setting up a good marriage and easy life for the married couple. It is intended to go to the father.

You have already made up your mind, but be smart and test the waters as to what is actually going on here. Try to find out what the money is for and set up a situation where the father cannot get to it. If this is refused, I would be very suspicious and just refuse to get married at this time. Continue to date the girl and state the reason as you want to wait until she is out of school and ready to make a career.

Good luck and keep us posted as I want to know if this a scam so it can be identified as such in the future to protect other foreigners from this mistake.

The virgin part is not really important but the age is...Show me any 18 year old and I will show you someone who has not lived yet. This poor guy is neck deep and the water is rising...Swimmmmm!

Man, 35, wants an 18 year old virgin.
It hardly matters if he's talking about any virgin or a specific one, and the the price is nothing to do with much - I see problems not far down the road.

Previous suggestion have been to get out - Seems reasonable.

Ontheriver wrote:

The virgin part is not really important but the age is...Show me any 18 year old and I will show you someone who has not lived yet.

It is because it's being used to increase the amount of the Sin Sod. It's the old Thai belief that a virgin wife is worth more. Apparently this was discussed at some point because he made it a point in his account of the situation. How else or why else would she being a virgin be brought up? The point is; how does he even know this to be true if he hasn't slept with her? It's being used to make him pay more and he has no way to know if it's true.

I seriously doubt she is. My wife is not promiscuous  'สำส่อน', but she hasn't heard of many Thai girls still being a virgin at 18.

Also, the point that if you can find at least 1 lie then there must be others which you haven't found, yet.

Run!!!!

JayEsCee wrote:

It is because it's being used to increase the amount of the Sin Sod. It's the old Thai belief that a virgin wife is worth more. .

Apart from idea this being a lot more widespread than Thailand, there might actually be some biological truth in it.
The first and obvious is the lack of STDs. Next up comes a very common male wish for virgins - Supply and demand is the basis of most business.
The we move on to the science. The university of Seattle did a lot of work on male DNA in women's brains, finding many had implanted DNA in their brains from sexual partners and that influenced behaviour.
Another common belief is that a woman tend to imprint onto her first sexual partner. There may be human evidence of this I'm unaware of, but I do know of research that suggest it's true in non-human species.  If memory serves, some species have offspring that are influenced by the first sexual partner, not the actual sire. I think that was Australian research with fruitflies, but one has to wonder if it translates to mammals.