The work culture in Austria

Hello everyone,

As an expatriate, working in Austria can present unique opportunities but also challenges. Discovering new communication styles, adapting to new cultural norms... working in Austria can be both exciting and confusing.

Share your experience to better understand the work culture in Austria and facilitate the professional adaptation of people who are wondering about it.

How would you define the work culture in Austria?

What was the most difficult thing for you when you started working?

What made the biggest impression on you?

How did you fit into your team?

Thank you for your contribution.

Mickael
Expat.com team

I only know the benefit is like zero,

no free laundry machine,

no free lunch,

no free domitory ,

no yearly home flight ticket,

no free tax service ,

no company shares,

no free law consultation.

I only know the benefit is like zero,
no free laundry machine,
no free lunch,
no free domitory ,
no yearly home flight ticket,
no free tax service ,
no company shares,
no free law consultation.
-@Keloy

Depends on your employer. It's common (in my sector) that employer pay you up to 8 EUR per day for lunch since it's tax free for employer. Also the Klimaticket is paid most of the time by the employer which allows you to travel in the whole country and also this is a tax free benefits and worth 1000 EUR.

Also when your an employee you pay from your salary 0,5% to the "chamber of employees" = Arbeiterkammer which offers free legal consultation in ANY area you need. Renting, labour law, consumer right...  also they provide FREE assistance and lawyers in front of courts. EVERY employee is paying this and is covered by them. You can just tell them your name and social security number on the phone and get instand a first legal information (from a lawyer or someone working in law) on your topic and if you need more you can make an appointment FOR FREE. So said this I don't know why your employer should provide you legal advice for free.

This Arbeiterkammer also provides assistant with taxes. Also the Chamber of Tax adviser (Kammer der Steuerberater) provides once a month (or twice, don't know) free consultation by tax advisers.

In fact all thing you mentioned that is not offered is just subject to negotiation ;) If you don't negotiate it nobody will give it to you for free.

But in general I think Austria is a good place to work considering also having 14 salaries per year saying this and being someone from Austria and worked there since then.