Restaurant fit-out and process!

Hi all...

I'm planning to open a small restaurant/cafeteria but I have a few questions I'd like to ask someone who has done it before!!

CR is not an issue, I can get that far.

What I get stuck on is contracting for interior fit out. I don't have any connections in this industry and have no idea how much it'd really cost and so I'm finding it difficult to get an idea for start up costs and capital etc. What I don't understand is this: if you rent somewhere and then get a contractor, they can essentially charge you whatever they want because they know you're on a time limit and want to open ASAP. It also means you're paying a ton of rent and wasting time getting quotes?

Can you get a contractor to look at a place first before you rent it and give you an estimate?

Do you need architect plans or interior design plans? Or can you just do it yourself?

If there's anyone who can share their experience with me on this, I'd be truly grateful!

Thank you

You can always bring a contractor to have a look at the location, for the sake of giving you an estimate, before you sign the agreement (or sign the agreement for a date in the future i.e. 1/2 weeks out).  Try to get 3 or more quotes for the work.   Then you sign the agreement and commence the work.