Making a friend in Bahrain seems impossible, am I right!!

Well great early morning everyone,
I hope this is the right section to post otherwise, Admin move it please.
I was very excited for my move to Bahrain as I have not settled down for the last two years which was a reason to lose friends and contacts in this region. Now I'm in Bahrain and have to admit the whole day is work but after that you would love to hangout with friends at anywhere. I have been told that making friends in Bahrain is that easy ( I don't believe it now), so I was again excited to move in. Now been a month and life is too boaring as I'm living in  a very good place in seef. I thought I can make good friends in our tower or anywhere around but Ohhh may after like 6 pm the building turn to spooky area. as its very too quite . you go to coffee shop and mall and you only get friends with coffee maker and that is it.

I would love to meet people and enjoy the boaring weekend as I just keep working because there's nothing to do other than gym and internet.

Hope I can hear something from you  soon guys and girls.

Jeff.

Hello Jeff and Welcome to the Forum,

We are all in the same ship my Friend you are not alone in this regard :D

I said the same words to a work colleague a few months ago and he told me its my fault that I don't have friends.

All you need to do is to socialize and talk to people wherever you are and for sure you will have many friends.

Will try to arrange a gathering some time soon so that new comers to Bahrain can get to know some new friends and enlarge their circle of acquaintances.

Enjoy Bahrain Jeff and don't forget to socialize my friend :D

Regards,

jeff, whats ur hoppies!!
what kind of sport you play or like?!

VidoDido wrote:

I said the same words to a work colleague a few months ago and he told me its my fault that I don't have friends.

All you need to do is to socialize and talk to people wherever you are and for sure you will have many friends.

Will try to arrange a gathering some time soon so that new comers to Bahrain can get to know some new friends and enlarge their circle of acquaintances.

Regards,

Thanks my friends for your sympathy. I think will be Great if we get good gathering to meet and talk members. I'm doing my best Man. !!

thanks again.

a.hubail wrote:

jeff, whats ur hoppies!!
what kind of sport you play or like?!

Just name it, I have a lot of hobbies and welling to get more :)
I used to do Volleyball, basketball, soccer just name it. if you like boxing as well as I'm prof. boxer ;)

Thanks hubail for the comment!!!

Hello Jeff,

Hope you are ok. To tell you the truth I quite agree with you. Making real friends in Bahrain is not impossible as you say but quite difficult.I have been here for more than six months and I do not think that things  are getting much better. Yes, I do go out with colleques from the school but they are not friends... Have a lovely day!!

Mmmmhhh OK this is a really sad thread !

I don't think that it's easy to make friends anywhere. It takes efforts, wherever you live!
In Bahrain, you can easily meet "superficial" acquaintances through bars and clubs but they last as long as the glasses are full ^^
As far as I'm concerned, I'm 45 yo, very fat, extremely busy, divorced with grown up kids living in France and quite selective about the people around me. As I don't have much time off, I'd rather spending it with interesting people than being bored in a crowd! As you can see, there are a lot of bottlenecks on the way of me making friends ^^
I'm not very much into "social events" and hardly go to the embassy cocktails & so. To me, shaking 200 wet hands drinking warm champaign and talking about "the weather" or "the situation" in Bahrain doesn't sound any better than a good DVD in my old sweat pants or a cool drink with one or two good friends.
So you might now think that I'm living in a cave like a bear without seeing anybody...  Not true! I made a little network of good friends, some closer than others of course, of many nationalities (I did not leave France to see only French people :p).

So if I could do it, with all the restrictions I'm sure anybody can!
I don't believe that people from work are a good  path. You already see them all day long an except if you meet there someone that you really want to have as a friend (that happens! :p) I think it's not the best. Maybe through sport (for those who practice one :p), associations or social clubs are also a good way of meeting your first contacts. If you find someone interesting, don't be shy! Invite him/her (take care... the "her" can be tricky ^^) for a cup of coffee or for lunch. There is also a lot of "I would but I don't dare" in our way of getting in touch with people. When you spend half an hour with someone in a coffee shop, it's a good way to know if you can find enough common interest to start a real relationship. If yes, again don't be shy! Call back, invite again... YOU are the one looking for friends, YOU have to do the efforts. But so often we try to read signs, to understand why people are doing this or that instead of simply... asking them !
Telling to someone "I had great time with you and I hope we could have lunch together again soon" sounds friendly, not desperate or gay (except if you are hugging him and crying on his shoulder at the same time... that would be too much :p)
Once you get to know one or two, they'll make you meet one or two others each who will also after sometimes make you meet others and so on... On that snowball, you'll meet people you will forget but some of them will attract you and you will try to be friends with them... And that might work :p
Well just to say, do not stay in the closet thinking it's desperate... Keep on trying.... What risk is in ?
And if you really are so desperate... Let's have a coffee together :p

Cheers

Olivier

Hay Zachuolis,
Thanks for asking. Yes I'm doing just fine and Bingo you hat the point. YES is not impossible but it's very hard getting to know more people out of your work cycle.  The thing with those people is that you see them everyday, and the other you mentioned they are not friend.

Thanks for the Great comment.

You are welcome Double Mind. Happy that you agree.

Have a lovely weekend!

Kind regards
Zachoulis

i play basketball and soccer.. let meet up then ;) bring u with us to play and hang out dont worry.. you are in a good hands ;)

Olivier-France wrote:

Mmmmhhh OK this is a really sad thread !

I don't think that it's easy to make friends anywhere. It takes efforts, wherever you live!
In Bahrain, you can easily meet "superficial" acquaintances through bars and clubs but they last as long as the glasses are full ^^
As far as I'm concerned, I'm 45 yo, very fat, extremely busy, divorced with grown up kids living in France and quite selective about the people around me. As I don't have much time off, I'd rather spending it with interesting people than being bored in a crowd! As you can see, there are a lot of bottlenecks on the way of me making friends ^^
I'm not very much into "social events" and hardly go to the embassy cocktails & so. To me, shaking 200 wet hands drinking warm champaign and talking about "the weather" or "the situation" in Bahrain doesn't sound any better than a good DVD in my old sweat pants or a cool drink with one or two good friends.
So you might now think that I'm living in a cave like a bear without seeing anybody...  Not true! I made a little network of good friends, some closer than others of course, of many nationalities (I did not leave France to see only French people :p).

So if I could do it, with all the restrictions I'm sure anybody can!
I don't believe that people from work are a good  path. You already see them all day long an except if you meet there someone that you really want to have as a friend (that happens! :p) I think it's not the best. Maybe through sport (for those who practice one :p), associations or social clubs are also a good way of meeting your first contacts. If you find someone interesting, don't be shy! Invite him/her (take care... the "her" can be tricky ^^) for a cup of coffee or for lunch. There is also a lot of "I would but I don't dare" in our way of getting in touch with people. When you spend half an hour with someone in a coffee shop, it's a good way to know if you can find enough common interest to start a real relationship. If yes, again don't be shy! Call back, invite again... YOU are the one looking for friends, YOU have to do the efforts. But so often we try to read signs, to understand why people are doing this or that instead of simply... asking them !
Telling to someone "I had great time with you and I hope we could have lunch together again soon" sounds friendly, not desperate or gay (except if you are hugging him and crying on his shoulder at the same time... that would be too much :p)
Once you get to know one or two, they'll make you meet one or two others each who will also after sometimes make you meet others and so on... On that snowball, you'll meet people you will forget but some of them will attract you and you will try to be friends with them... And that might work :p
Well just to say, do not stay in the closet thinking it's desperate... Keep on trying.... What risk is in ?
And if you really are so desperate... Let's have a coffee together :p

Cheers

Olivier

dear Olivier,
I will stand and hand you the flag of wisdoms my friend. I totally strongly agree as long as the glasses are full you are the friend. Last week I decided to finally terminate not go much to the bars as they are only friends with wet hands for couple mints and oops nobody after. This is really sad.

I don't think that it's easy to make friends anywhere." I agree as well here
Well for me as far as it goes , I'm 30 ys, almost athlete, extremely busy, spent last 8 years doing my master & PhD , working almost 6 days a week. And looking to after work friend and activities with selective people.

I will sure defiantly would love to meet you and everyone passing by , my cave is always seef mall, caribou coffee shop. I always hang out there by myself. Set the time and  let's get together. I will pay for the  coffee.

Thanks all,
Jeff

VidoDido wrote:

Regards,

Sorry man I missed your comment erlier,
Of course we would love together very soon and keep in mind I'm doing my best to socialize - I believe so. :).

a.hubail wrote:

i play basketball and soccer.. let meet up then ;) bring u with us to play and hang out dont worry.. you are in a good hands ;)

I'm on it man let's me prepare my shoes for a soccer game, basketball I'm not Michale Jordan just to let you know!!! :)

zachoulis wrote:

You are welcome Double Mind. Happy that you agree.

Have a lovely weekend!

Kind regards
Zachoulis

Thanks zachoulis,
Just landed from Dubai. Check the image out <===

Have a great weekend and keep tuned we might meet with our wise man Oliviers for a coffee.

i agree.. its not easy to find friends here in bahrain. anyhow, good luck and have a nice day

Thanks Nooradeeb for the comment. wish you all the best so far i'm getting to know great ppl from the forum. Let's see how this is will go along the line.

"Faith in the future you have to keep young Jedi"

:D

Cheers

Olivier

:D

Hello,

I am new to Bahrain, too and I find it hard to make friends here. Generally speaking, the mentality here makes it difficult for me to make moves and it also makes me watch my language. A mere smile could be interpreted extremely wrongly.
Anyhoozer. I'll keep trying to find laid-back people with no ulterior motives but a simple friendship.

Zara.

PS: Très bien dit, Olivier.

Deleted-Soul wrote:

Hello,

I am new to Bahrain, too and I find it hard to make friends here. Generally speaking, the mentality here makes it difficult for me to make moves and it also makes me watch my language. A mere smile could be interpreted extremely wrongly.
Anyhoozer. I'll keep trying to find laid-back people with no ulterior motives but a simple friendship.

Zara.

Shiny Day in Bahrain Deleted-Soul,
well yes i agree with you it's very hard to get friends in Bahrain but not anymore, I have surrounded myself with great people and we hangout from time to time Oliver and Vedo Deddo are fantastic friends. yes I agree with you about the smile so make sure :D because I do smile and nobody care much.   :lol:

wish a super good luck and enjoy Bahrain. it's an amazing place when things clicked.

Yes one more thing Merci pour le commentaire super .
You can see also I start speaking French now as well. :D*

*google trans.

Ouch if everybody starts to speak French here, I'm in trouble !

First of all welcome here Deleted Soul!

I have to agree with you on the fact that making friends is not that easy for guys, but for girls, it's even worse !
You must try to find nice people, avoiding any mis-understandable behavior or word, you must also slalom among the drooling bachelors desperately seeking for a girlfriend... ouch ! ;D

To be honest, it's also difficult for us guys to invite a girl we don't know for a cup of coffee. We do not want to look like those Tex Avery wolves with their eyes popping and drooling jaws so we stay on the safe side and meet ladies through common friends ;D

Life is not simple and we make it even more complicated do we not ?

:blink::idontagree::blink::idontagree:

Anyway... As long as it's nice, cool and informal, I'm always up for a cup !

Cheers

Olivier

Deleted-Soul wrote:

Hello,

Zara.

Hi Deleted-Soul and Welcome to the Club :D

Hope soon enough you will have many friends in Bahrain :)

You may have to consider changing your Nickname with a cheerful one, as it might act as an obstruction in your way finding friends :D:P (I'm kidding of course)

Its just a matter of time my friend and you will get to know many people and as I always say, you just have to Socialize :lol:

Good Luck :)

double mind wrote:
Deleted-Soul wrote:

Hello,

Zara.

well yes i agree with you it's very hard to get friends in Bahrain but not anymore, I have surrounded myself with great people and we hangout from time to time Oliver and Vedo Deddo are fantastic friends. yes I agree with you about the smile so make sure :D because I do smile and nobody care much.   :lol:

wish a super good luck and enjoy Bahrain. it's an amazing place when things clicked.

Hi Jedi and Hope your day is less hectic than mine :lol:

Thanks for your nice words :):thanks:

The pleasure is mine getting to know yourself and Olivier(The Master)... I think I'm the lucky guy in this regard :P:D

Have a Great Day Mate :)

Regards,

Olivier-France wrote:

Anyway... As long as it's nice (May Be), cool (I can't promise you) and informal (As usual), I'm always up for a cup ! (I owe you one already, choose the timing :lol:)

Cheers

Olivier

Hi Olivier ... I hope your day is less hectic than mine and Jedi however I know that its not :lol::P

Have a Great Day Mate ... and don't forget about the cup :D:P

Regards

double mind wrote:

Thanks, Double-Mind.
I replied to your PM.
Have a good one.

How could I forget :D
This week the show is on Thursday so I rehearse almost every evening but after the weekend we have to plan something !
My day is like always... sunny and shiny (sun's in my head :p)

Take care my friend

O.

VidoDido wrote:
Olivier-France wrote:

Anyway... As long as it's nice (May Be), cool (I can't promise you) and informal (As usual), I'm always up for a cup ! (I owe you one already, choose the timing :lol:)

Cheers

Olivier

Hi Olivier ... I hope your day is less hectic than mine and Jedi however I know that its not :lol::P

Regards

After reading the comments on this thread, i found some of it quite amusing and at the same time, true. :)
It is difficult to make friends in a place where you are new and  hardly know anyone. However, as pointed out in this thread, its how much effort you make to meet others. If you have tried, then no one can fault you for trying. Keep tying an eventually things get better. ;)

So to the new comers, welcome to Bahrain and to Expat.com.
Hope you will like it here... :)

Jaz
:cool:

Thanks, Jaz.

VidoDido wrote:
Olivier-France wrote:

Cheers

Olivier

Regards

Sweet VidoDido, and Master Olivier, You know there is an mazing english singer called Dido, I love her song a lot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYpr-8sEkB0
yaa My friends I'm getting somehow much hectic lately but will always scarify for a cup (Not a glass :) 

Cheers :D

Olivier-France wrote:

To be honest, it's also difficult for us guys to invite a girl we don't know for a cup of coffee. We do not want to look like those Tex Avery wolves with their eyes popping and drooling jaws so we stay on the safe side and meet ladies through common friends ;D

Olivier

I think I will start to speak French :) to join the master team

Just don't Push my friend if she like sure if not of course sure, I think I will be the Master here. :D

Jeff

VidoDido wrote:

Hi Deleted-Soul and Welcome to the Club :D

Hope soon enough you will have many friends in Bahrain :)

You may have to consider changing your Nickname with a cheerful one, as it might act as an obstruction in your way finding friends :D:P (I'm kidding of course)

Its just a matter of time my friend and you will get to know many people and as I always say, you just have to Socialize :lol:

Good Luck :)

Sorry, I didn't see this post earlier.
"There is nothing more serious than a joke". :)
Thanks.

Olivier-France wrote:

That's why you should stop cussing at people in French before they learn it and uncover you. =D

Olivier-France wrote:

Thank you. =] !

Olivier-France wrote:

I have to agree with you on the fact that making friends is not that easy for guys, but for girls, it's even worse !
You must try to find nice people, avoiding any mis-understandable behavior or word, you must also slalom among the drooling bachelors desperately seeking for a girlfriend... ouch ! ;D

Boy, didn't you just speak my mind.
It's a total turn-off when a guy is desperate for a girlfriend. 

Olivier-France wrote:

Oh yeah? Teach them, please. When people don't let things come naturally, they just kill it.

Olivier-France wrote:

Life is simple when people get a grip, yes.

Olivier-France wrote:

Cheers

And of course, you regret posting that, after having read my replies above. Lol.

Yalla, Peace. ;-]

jazzy851 wrote:

After reading the comments on this thread, i found some of it quite amusing and at the same time, true. :)
It is difficult to make friends in a place where you are new and  hardly know anyone. However, as pointed out in this thread, its how much effort you make to meet others. If you have tried, then no one can fault you for trying. Keep tying an eventually things get better. ;)

So to the new comers, welcome to Bahrain and to Expat.com.
Hope you will like it here... :)

Jaz
:cool:

Shake Hands Jazz, Perfect what you have said ; when someone complain and you ask him/er out and then start to apology. Well they are the one who start looking for someone not us.

Like your name Jazz :D

cheers.

Deleted-Soul wrote:
Olivier-France wrote:

That's why you should stop cussing at people in French before they learn it and uncover you. =D

Olivier-France wrote:

Thank you. =] !

Olivier-France wrote:

Boy, didn't you just speak my mind.
It's a total turn-off when a guy is desperate for a girlfriend. 

Olivier-France wrote:

Oh yeah? Teach them, please. When people don't let things come naturally, they just kill it.

Olivier-France wrote:

Life is simple when people get a grip, yes.

Olivier-France wrote:

Cheers

And of course, you regret posting that, after having read my replies above. Lol.

Yalla, Peace. ;-]

Well both, I think i will be out of the post since I'm smelling some fight here but for sure Olivier got your back bro. :D

Deleted-Soul, Getting herself very well prepared- Good job :lol:

Fight fight fight :rolleyes::cool::mad:

Cheers All,

Friends,
Vido Dido: Flying out tonight getting back tomorrow :/ Any plan!!
Olivier can you sing for us while rehearsing those days. we have good ears :D

Cheers

Fight? lolwat.

Deleted-Soul wrote:

Fight? lolwat.

LM.O

@double mind  :rolleyes: what's up Bro? You sounds as you already had lotsa coffe :lol:

(I love coffe topics...)

Not much :D looking for trouble heheheh
O.M.G
How did you know Anna66 !!!!
Working till 2:00 am and coming back to office by 9:30 then having 5 cup of coffee for five days make your stress hit the sky :lol:

Way to go Anna66, way to go :o

Not much :D looking for trouble heheheh
O.M.G
How did you know Anna66 !!!!
Working till 2:00 am and coming back to office by 9:30 then having 5 cup of coffee for five days make your stress hit the sky :lol:

Way to go Anna66, way to go :o

Like your name Jazz big_smile

Thanks double mind :D