Great times in Hanoi!

I came up to Hanoi from Saigon a few weeks ago. I have a week or so left now. I've managed to visit Vietnamese friends not seen for some years and also just walk around the city a bit and take photos. I never tire of walking Hanoi and taking pictures. I went to the Temple of Literature and got to see people dressing up for the holidays coming up. A wonderful thing was so many people remembered me from when I lived in Hanoi during the pandemic years. I went to a favorite coffee shop and the manager rushed over and gave me a hug and shook my hand and welcomed me to almost the same table I would sit at before. One of my favorite bun cha places is on the corner by where I live. They warmly welcomed us a few times for lunch. I really missed the bun cha! Over at SunKat's Burgers, the manager told me welcome back and they were so glad I could return. A small Mexican place along Truc Bach I always loved to stop at for the view in the evenings but also their amazing enchilada casserole. Just down the street are coffee shops and cafes and some good Indian food I have had twice. My pho place just down the street from where I lived is still there and the lady smiles and waves as I walk by. Thanks Vietnam for making and renewing so many memories and moments.

Then there is just the coffee every day at West Lake. Walking over to the cafes always provokes memories but just a little further is Mystic Cafe where I spent both mornings and evenings with appropriate beverages.

The weather here has been a mix of some beautiful days and some cooler. We are going to have warmer days this weekend but then it cools off again. I will leave in a week and days to go back home to Siem Reap. Had a wonderful time here. Great food, wonderful people, always cold beer, and I managed to meet a few new friends which I will treasure and hope to see again when I come back. I think will return in spring and visit Da Nang, Hoi An, and Hue.

I can send the photo album link in a personal message if you want to travel along. I used to use a FujiFilm camera but gave that up some time ago. Now it is a iPhone 14 pro. Love that toy.

Take care all. Thanks to the Vietnam forums for helping me understand the evisa process, requirements, and travel tips.

@mpmilestogo you can also click on your profile and go down to "Pictures" and submit them, they go into your gallery.

@AndyHCMC

Provided you do not include pictures which can identify people. No faces, unfortunately. Pixelate/smudge/hide the faces, and it's okay.

@AndyHCMC
Provided you do not include pictures which can identify people. No faces, unfortunately. Pixelate/smudge/hide the faces, and it's okay.
-@Aidan in HCMC

also no logos or place names. so if there is a beer logo in the photo or the sign on the front of a hotel or something like that admin has been known to reject those as well.

not saying I know if they still will but...

@OceanBeach92107 thanks. I would not be able to post any photos besides a sunset or two. I take lots of people and street photos. Many faces, locational info like street signs, brands. I'll just publish to my blog and the fediverse. I should add my blog here. Thanks for the rules about various limits.

Hey all! Just a little update. I had Aidan help me with the photographs so I have a lot I could share. I will get back to Siem Reap and figure out how I can pick the best ones that adhere to the requirements. I had a wonderful time over Tet in Hanoi this year. We ate, drank, walked, repeated often. I made it to a few places I have never been to or don't remember going. I did not get to meet some Vietnamese friends because of Tet so I think will go back in April for another 30 days. I want to be in Phnom Penh first to see some Khmer friends there and could just fly on afterwards.

The weather was interesting in Hanoi. We had some days in the 30s and then almost right after down to a wonderful high of 14 and a low of 9. Very nice weather for a ca phe sua da at the lake. LOL. I still did that because I had to. Numerous times.

Hanoi shined and gave me the best of times. I am so grateful to the city, the people and the holiday. I even got a few lucky money envelopes. One from a bunch of Vietnamese guys on Sunday drinking at a bia hoi that was open. They talked me into stopping so we drank. They bought. Fun times. I wish I could share that photo. Very special.

Anyways, that's about it. Heading home to Siem Reap tomorrow. In Saigon at the beautiful IBIS hotel at the airport because I could. King suite room! 15th floor. Nothing to do. So I will go excel at that.

Hope everyone's Tet was wonderful.

No faces, no logos!!!  Sadly, I guess this is the final result of our litigious society, particularly the US.  Everyone is afraid of being sued. Can't they see that the beauty in the ao dai wants to have her face showing.  That's. why she poses with her fingers in a V.  Now if admin wants to draw the line at no nudies, that I can see. 1f633.svg1f60e.svg