German citizenship by descent

Hi
I would like to apply to German citizenship by descent, I do qualify and have asked a solicitor and they charge 15,000 euros plus all translation mailing expenses. I would like to know if you do need a solicitor or that can be done without them
Thanks
S

@sontuc sounds outrageous. Most such officials things can be done without lawyers. Then again sometimes something tricky comes up. And few people get citizenship through descent unless their parents were German citizens at the time of their birth. There are some exceptions for decedents of German citizens that had to flee Nazi persecution but often people assume a grandparent or farther back German forefather qualifies them; it doesn't. But victims of the Nazi's for example have to prove the lost German citizenship existed. The other thing is to prove prosecution. It is just assumed if one was Jewish but the rule is not exclusively for them. But if due to another reason like being homosexual might have happened but is it provable 80 years later?

Technically, you cannot APPLY for citizenship by descent - you either have it (by birth), or not.
Because of that, if you have it, you just need to apply for a German passport at the nearest German embassy.
If you never had contact with German officialdom before, proofing to them that you are German might be a bit tricky - you need to show that one of your parents was German at your birth - but not something lawyers can help with.
@beppi
Thank you, my mother is German, I can prove that and send documents to official sites in Germany, can this be done without having to have a lawyer?
@TominStuttgart
Thank you, I can. prove that my mum was German when I was born. So I'm not sure what would the lawyers do and why they charge such a expensive fee
As I said, you probably ARE German then and neither need a lawyer, nor contact any office in Germany. If you need a passport, apply for it at the nearest German embassy - if you don‘t need one, there is no need to do anything!
@TominStuttgart
Thank you, I can. prove that my mum was German when I was born. So I'm not sure what would the lawyers do and why they charge such a expensive fee
- @sontuc

In this case it sounds like a total waste of money. Just contact the German embassy or consulate. One would always have the option to go through a lawyer later if things don't work out but you feel you still have a legal right. Not sure why you even consider a lawyer at this point?
@TominStuttgart
Thank you so much that is very good advice, will try without them first

@sontuc please do not go to a solicitor.  Your german embassy is your best place for further information. 

At my time, I paid less than 300 euro in fees to be naturalized as a German citizen.  It definitely doesn't cost 15k .. and no solicitor can guarantee you'll get citizenship.