I want to do nursing Ausbildung but my high school grades are not good

Hello all.

I want to do an Ausbildung in nursing but people online tell me my 2.2 high school GPA (American standard) with occasional Ds won't suffice to get the minimum Hauptschulabschluss to begin vocational school. Would going to college to get an associate's or possibly a bachelor's help my case? Or do my high school grades have the final say of me getting the school leaving certificate necessary for Ausbildung?

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have put aside some off-topic posts.

Members are most welcome to help the OP by providing useful infos.

All the best

Bhavna

Doing an additional degree, even a associate degree might very well make the difference if you actually manage to get very good grades and the program is recognized by the German ANABIN system. If you plan to go into nursing then there should be a strong STEM background. A bachelor would be better but then who has the time and money to do a full bachelor degree just as preparation for a vocational degree that is not as high as a bachelor. Likely easier to go to nursing school in the States and then try to immigrate to Germany.

The other factor is that one has to have a B2 level of German both to do such a vocational training and/or to work as a nurse in Germany. Without the proper level of German, one has no chance. Decent English is expected - but in addition, NOT as an alternative. If you had 3 or 4 years of German in high school and it was one of your better subjects then maybe you might manage.

@TominStuttgart Hallo Tom. i have a B1 in German and sufficient high school results. i've been trying to apply for ausbildung positions with no luck, even for the basic training positions. Do you have any idea what routes i can explore considering i don't have the funds to explore a higher German Language certificate?. I live in ZW.. Your help would be much appreciated. thnx.

@atchipx An apprenticeship (Ausbildung) is a combined practical training in a company with lessons in a vocational school. In order to understand the lessons (and probably the practical training, too), you need B2 or C1 German - so that is the entry requirement, for good reason!

If you have no money for further language learning,you will also not be able to pay for the flight to Germany to start an apprenticeship. So I recommend you earn some more before trying again!

@TominStuttgart Hallo Tom. i have a B1 in German and sufficient high school results. i've been trying to apply for ausbildung positions with no luck, even for the basic training positions. Do you have any idea what routes i can explore considering i don't have the funds to explore a higher German Language certificate?. I live in ZW.. Your help would be much appreciated. thnx.
-@atchipx

Like I mentioned. B2 level German is required for nursing. There is no way around this. Not sure what else to tell you.