Italian Drivers License

Hello all,

Any persons having difficulties in obtaining an Italian Drivers License, issues with the Drivers License or any related complications,
Reach out to me for directives on how to go about the solution under respective administrative programs.

This will be particularly helpful for persons who have difficulties speaking and understanding Italian

Thanks

What are the rumours about the progress being made in the agreement between Italy and the UK about being able to exchange your licence rather than having to take a test? And when you do have to take a test, do the new driver rules apply to you even if you have been driving for decades? Thanks!

Have you something new or different to add to this ongoing issue. If so, I'm interested to learn more.
If not, thanks anyway.
FJM
@andreaeisentower

H Andrea, I have a U.S. driver's license and need to start the process of obtaining an Italian driver's license this fall.  I've heard that it's possible to take the exam in French or German, which may be easier for me than Italian.  That being said, I welcome any information you're able to share!

Kindly,

Robert
Hello Andrea

I will be in Italy from June of 2022
I have a US DL which will expire in a year

Would I be able to drive in Italy with this for the next year? And if so, how long?

(Also - are licenses specific to manual vs automatic? No idea!)

Thank you

-Hovig

Hello again

Is it possible to take the DL written test in English?

I am currently driving with my US license which will expire by May and would like to renew - but it will be impossible for me to take a test in Italian at this point in time

Thank you

-H

Hi. Unfortunately Italian, French and German are the only languages for the test.

@hovigA

I'm afraid you have to take the test in Italian. After all, all the roadsigns are in Italian. It's not that challenging linguistically but, there are a lot of signs/symbols to learn.

Good luck!

@andreaeisentower Hello there.

How easy or difficult is it to get an Italian driver's license and if you don't know the language well enough how can you pass the theoretical exam?

I moved from Los Angeles and am now a resident here in Pisa and have an international driver's license which will expire as of June 2nd. My US driver's license however is still valid. Please let me know. Thanks,

Laura Angino

@andreaeisentower

Hello there, I moved to Tirrenia, Pisa last June and now I'm a resident here. My international driver's license will expire as of June 2023. My US driver's license is valid until 2026.

Do I need to get an Italian driver's license to drive in Italy now that i have residency here in Pisa?

If one is not fluent in Italian, how can one pass the written theoretical exam for the Italian driver's license.

Please let me know how US American expats living in Italy can drive in Italy and get car insurance.

Thanks so much for your anticipated guidance and advice.

Laura Angino