Complicated driver license exchange

I am an American/Italian (two passports) who has a Michigan, USA, driver license and wish to exchange it for a French driver license under the reciprocity agreement.

Am I able, with my Italian passport (and therefore no requirement for a carte de sejour), to exchange my Michigan license for a French one without going through the formal residency requirements?

My ultimate goal is to reside in Italy, which has no driver license reciprocity with Michigan. If I got a French license, I could simply exchange that for an Italian one. I am trying to avoid the Italian driving schools which are hugely expensive and time consuming.

Thank you for any information you can give.

Hello Carlazzomark.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will soon advise you.

Aurélie

I am in the same boat!  Will that work?

Hi

with a french driving license you can drive no problem in Italy as it is in the EU. You are not required to exchange it.

However, I don't know whether you need an address in France to keep your French license.

I'm Italian and got an UK driving license as I lived there for 10 years. I am currently driving in Italy with my UK license. I kept it as buorocracy is much simpler in england.
Police stopped me already a few times for a documents control and it was fine.

The only problem you might find is insurance.  Legally you can be insured. Practically many insurers are simply quite ignorant and don't want to take the risk to insure if they are not 100% sure.
They might find excuses that do not make sense.

They rather lose a client 

Going around public offices in Italy is a nightmare.

Good luck

From riviera.angloinfo.com/countries/france/exlicence.asp

'If the license was issued by any of the following states it may be exchanged in the same way as EU and EEA member licences provided application is made within nine months of being issued a residency permit:

Connecticut, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky and Texas (check with a US Consulate or Embassy as this list is subject to change)'

I think it would be rather complicated (to say the least) to get a French driver license without an address in France, even fictitious.

Why don't you check with an Italian driving-school ?
Usually, they also process license exchange - you might have to pay a fee but it would be processed rather quickly.

[20 years ago as I was in Arizona, there was no reciprocity and I had to pass back a driving exam - but fortunately it took me one evening to read the road traffic regulations and a morning to pass the  driving test and eye exam and 20 dollars whereas getting a license can cost you a 1000 Euros or more in France or in Italy.]

@lagunacat

i think that this is an incorrect piece of information.

perhaps bc its an older post?

at the moment per the us embassy site…” no reciprocity” for any US issued drivers licenses.

Feel free to correct me if I am missing  something.

moving to Florence from Boca Raton,  Florida.

@sprez76

Hello, indeed this post is from 2012.

We request members to participate only on recent threads of the forum in case the information posted are no longer up to date

Thank you

Bhavna

Thank you!

Hi All,

I have 2 passport (french and italian) and 1 driving licence permit (italian and  italian international). I've arrived in Colorado for work and I have a VISA. Do I have to get a new driver permit including passing the written test, pass a drive skills test, and apply for your license or can I use my international italian driving permit and my french nationality?

Thank you very much in advance

Hi All,
I have 2 passport (french and italian) and 1 driving licence permit (italian and  italian international). I've arrived in Colorado for work and I have a VISA. Do I have to get a new driver permit including passing the written test, pass a drive skills test, and apply for your license or can I use my international italian driving permit and my french nationality?
Thank you very much in advance

-@elena_italy

You should post on the USA forum because its about America