A colmado is a good business to open in DR?

Hi good night
A colmado is a good business to open in DR?
What's the process or the step to open a colmado please?

Welcome too the forums. You have responded to a very old thread. 

Please. Open a new thread and you will get a much better response.

Subscribed - I am always interested by colmados.

So this was moved to its own new thread!

There are probably far too many already in most parts of DR so if you plan to open a new one you will need a large customer base willing to move from their existing colmado to yours.

I've seen may colmados open and close within a few months which tells a story.

And realistically people are gradually moving their shopping to larger outlets as the supermarket chains open new places in towns throughout the country. Modernization is happening in DR too, especially larger urban areas.

Don't confuse the colmados that can now only survive as drinking establishments. Most struggle just selling groceries and soon will all have to enter the formal economy and pay taxes.

I note you are a new member from Haiti. Do you really think this can work and you can generate a sufficient customer base if you have legal status to work here?

Are they tax exempt or just "cash" business for the tax aspect?

Many - the smaller ones found in towns and campo throughout DR - are in the informal sector and are not tax registered and do not charge ITBIS and pay any employees by cash. They buy goods for cash from middlemen. They buy beer from Presidente wagons by cash in many cases. They buy other alcohol from wholesalers in larger towns again for cash.

Sooner or later one expects the tentacles of DGII will gradually reach out and down through the supply chains such that they become tax registered.

Depends the area...
Colmado is like mini-market so... i don't see much potential there.
I propose a drinking establishment. In the best located area of course.

In the newer parts of Juan Dolio the prices are near double San Pedro. You pay for convenience. In right area could be a very good business if you choose wisely and are prepared to work really long hours. Just like back home with exception that  entry costs here are lower.  That  makes it look like an  attractive business. Do your due diligence. Nobody will look after your money as carefully as you.

Funny, I was just looking up Juan Dolio for buying property. The beaches are nice there, so I've been told.

I think the beaches are nicer on other parts. But the beach isn't a big part of why I am here. A Colmado here could be good. The rents are expensive in better parts of town. Juan Dolio fancies itself as trying to be the Miami Beach of the Caribbean. It is close to the capital and weather locals come here the same way as say New Yorkers might go to the Hamptons. I am exagerating but I think you can get the idea.

there are certain ventures that foreigners should stay far away from. colmado is probably the best example..those things are usually run on credit and foreigners do not have the networks and muscle to ensure that debtors come through with payments. stay FAR, FAR away.