Retire early to france with gite to rent plus house

Hi
I am.thinking of retiring in next 2 to 3 years.
I will have savings in addition to money to purchase a house
The cost of UK living is now very high and NHS not as good as it used to be
I am.not a big spender
Thinking of going to Limoges region
Know basic french but would learn more
As a single woman would i be able to meet people ie is it friendly
What is cost of healthcare or top up ins and do you need it
Is there council tax like the UK
How much is food etc and bills approx
I have irish and uk citizenship so think i am free to live in france but unsure do i need min income
Any help greatly received
Are people happier in France

Hi, have a house with good plot of land and an attached nearly completed gite for sale in Availles, north of Limoges. The price is 60,000.

Best wishes, Marian

Hello
I can help you I am French I live in France in the south I leave you my email address prefer to correspond by e-mail to lease
Bye

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : Kindly exchange your contact details by using the private messaging system.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Janeuna and how are you - I hope you are well. I retired early to France six years ago. I sent you a message a few weeks ago, with some suggestions, that I thought you would find helpful.

I would love to hear how your plans are coming along.

Kind regards

Dooy.

We are Brits and moved to France 3 years ago and have a gite about 2 hours from Limoges. If you would like some help my Email address is ***

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Janeuna Thornton Hi Janeuna,  You are brave to be taking the plunge of moving to France, and it sounds like you are asking all of the right questions.  I am in the process of moving to France with my husband, so don´t have a lot of answers for you right now. We are planning to rent for now so we can decide where to settle.  Because of a convention the French have in place, it´s an uphill battle trying to rent an apt for 1 year or more.  We´ll all get there!!  Peace & hugs....Di

@marianmbaker Yay -- congrats!!

Hi Janeuna

We are belgians who moved to France. As you are Irish you should have the same benefits as us I suppose.

With this difference that you plan to earn money in France where as I am retired with a belgian retirement. As you are European you have the right to stay in France and can have a healt care from government.(carte vitale) to cover your basic medical needs. Our experience is that medication is rather cheap here when prescribed. Whether you plan to work or not, you must declare taxes.

We also started to look in Limoges and slowly moved up while searching. So we ended up in the south west of Burgundy (Nièvre). We had no clue in fact what would be the best geographic location for us so it is by accident that we ended up in a region that fits us perfectly. Why ? Beautiful scenery, not overcrowded, no or practically no industry, nature all around us, close to the Morvan (natural park) We are not big spenders and love to live close to nature with good but basic comfort ...

French people are very kind when you show that you want to integrate (we find that logic) Of course you have grumpy ones all over the world haha.

The tax bureau where we go has helped us from A to Z without any problem.

Food has gone up all over the world it seems. Out here the prices are ok when you try not to live like a queen lol and we grow plenty of veggies and that helps of course.

My idea about a gite : there is a lot of those so you best try to figure out where it might actually be needed or work ....

The cost of living varies from where you want to live. Also the price of housing. Around here the prices are really ok but that's also because there's not a lot of anything ...

Anyway, feel free to ask more and I would even say, if ever you need a temporary place to crash ...

good luck and I think you are making a great choice here :)

Marcel