Moving to Switzerland solo

Hello everybody,

Moving to Switzerland is a challenge in itself, but even more when you decide to go alone. If this was your case when you arrived, we would like you to share your experience. It might help other people who are also preparing for this new life in Switzerland.

Do you have any tips for people who are about to move to Switzerland on their own? Is the country suitable, for instance, for a single woman?

What was your state of mind when you arrived in Switzerland?

What type of accommodation did you choose: house-share, self-contained accommodation or apartment complex?

How did your integration go once settled? Do you think that being alone made it easier to make friends?

Did you encounter any particular difficulties, being alone when you arrived? If you had to do it all over again, would you take a chance?

Thank you for your contribution!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

I moved to Switzerland 1st of Jan 2015.
I was asked by my employer, to join the team over here. At the time, I was working in The Netherlands in a similar capacity.
I moved on my own, and at the same time went through a (very easy) divorce. My Ex and I agreed that she would keep all the furniture etc. I only took my personal stuff with me. So that made the move a lot easier.
From my employer, I got a relocation coach, and they gave me a moving fee. Which I used to buy all my furniture new.
The relocation coach helped me with pretty much everything, Resident's permit, she helped me find an apartment and the process and papers needed to rent it. She did an awesome job. I can recommend that for sure...

Making friends wasn't too difficult. I already knew some of my new colleagues, and the others were very friendly. i also had very friendly neighbors.
It also helps a lot if you join a club or society, makes meeting new friends and integration a lot easier.

I moved to Switzerland in January 2019.

Is it hard to move to Switzerland and build a life here? The answer to that question is very much dependent on your personal circumstance and expat experience. This was my first move to a foreign country, so it was something new and challenging for me. However, I was lucky to be very much supported by the company I am working for. On the positive side, the Swiss admin is very efficient, there are many other expats, and there is enough information in English that you don't feel like an alien. On the negative side, renting accommodation is extremely difficult, so my advice is to invest in this and to use professional help for home search.

Is the country suitable for a single woman? Yes, yes, yes! Switzerland is super well-functioning, organized, and accessible country in terms of getting around and getting things done. So good actually, that once you're used to it, it's hard to accept anything else (they call this “the golden bubble”). It's beautiful, it's clean, it's calm, it's safe

Is it hard to make friends? This is probably the most difficult part of the Swiss expat journey. Swiss people are nice and friendly, however very family focused, so they spend the majority of their free time with their families and close circles. It is slightly easier to make contacts with other expats and in the bigger cities, such as Zurich, Geneva, Basel, Lausanne there are many multinational companies and many expats.

After 3 years in Switzerland, I feel at home and happy! If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely take the chance again:)

Hi there, i want to live their in Switzerland. Can you help me find a job there in Switzerland. Can you find me a job even in a farm. I really wanted to stay there in Switzerland. Can you help me please. Thank you very much.

1)
Do you have any tips for people who are about to move to Switzerland on their own? Is the country suitable, for instance, for a single woman?

Yes, the country suits single woman and man.
At most places you would feel safe 24/7/365.

A family should come here only after parents researched topics like health insurance and child care carefully.
Health Insurance is mandatory and usually employers do not pay for that.
Each baby/child requires its own health insurance policy.
No need for school uniforms.

2)
What was your state of mind when you arrived in Switzerland?
I felt happy and relieved.

3)
What type of accommodation did you choose: house-share, self-contained accommodation or apartment complex?
My employer helped me to rent a fully furnished apartment.
The housing market is fragmented.
Plenty of commercial landlords, each with its own web page.
Apartments are usually rented out with kitchen and bathroom only.
You need to organize furniture yourself.

4)
How did your integration go once settled? Do you think that being alone made it easier to make friends?
Integrating with colleagues from work was easy.
Making friends with locals is still work in progress.
Making friends with other foreigners is easier.

5)
Did you encounter any particular difficulties, being alone when you arrived? If you had to do it all over again, would you take a chance?
I went here twice and I reckon I would come here a third time.

6)
Can you help me find a job there in Switzerland.
There are more than 1000 job agencies and 10000 recruiters around who are happy to forward your CV to suitable employers.

Hello all,
I'm an engineer and I'm moving in to Switzerland on march 2022, I would love to meet new people, specially to speak german with, hiking and making new good friends!!! I will be living in Bienne, so let me know if there are people from there!!

By the way, I' looking to share an appartement with someone who may be interested.

Have a great new year!!!

Thiago