Working remotely in Malta temporarily- what visa?

Can anyone help me answer a query, as I am getting no joy from the embassy or Google!

Myself and my boyfriend are both UK citizens.

My boyfriend who I don't live with - is going to Malta for approx 3 months to work (presumably on a work visa). 

I would like to accompany him, but I was thinking more of going there for 2 weeks and coming home back to the UK for 2 weeks and returning to Malta etc - all within these 3 months and no longer.

I can work for my UK based company remotely - i.e. I just need my laptop and internet connection and that is it. - i.e. I can work in his hotel room (which is company is paying for).

What I am not clear on is what visa do I need to be able to do the above?  I have read about a digital nomad visa, but this tends to be for longer than 90 days, so I'm not sure it is suitable.

or can I just go as a tourist? - i.e. as part of the Schengen zone.

Help please!  thanks

Simplest way for a Brit is to go as a tourist. Brits are welcome in Malta so dont worry. Schengen is irrelevant for Brits.
I have lived in Malta 32 years with visits and stays globally without a visa. Enjoy Malta.  Which hotel will you use?
Prof. Stephen J Newton

Thank you so much for your reply.  But is it ok to send work emails etc and do actual work for my UK company? just as a tourist.

Yes, as a visitor nobody is interested in your activities provided they are legal ;-)

carlacrawford wrote:

Can anyone help me answer a query, as I am getting no joy from the embassy or Google!

Myself and my boyfriend are both UK citizens.

My boyfriend who I don't live with - is going to Malta for approx 3 months to work (presumably on a work visa). 

I would like to accompany him, but I was thinking more of going there for 2 weeks and coming home back to the UK for 2 weeks and returning to Malta etc - all within these 3 months and no longer.

I can work for my UK based company remotely - i.e. I just need my laptop and internet connection and that is it. - i.e. I can work in his hotel room (which is company is paying for).

What I am not clear on is what visa do I need to be able to do the above?  I have read about a digital nomad visa, but this tends to be for longer than 90 days, so I'm not sure it is suitable.

or can I just go as a tourist? - i.e. as part of the Schengen zone.

Help please!  thanks

Just come as a tourist! Whilst strictly speaking you would be working illegally, no one would either know nor care, and as long as your stay does not exceed 90 days you won't draw attention to yourself.
Our son from the UK often works from our home when they holiday here and from one of the local cafes. I would not worry.

You do not need any Visa you are bound by the Schengen law. I am now a digital Nomad but prior to that status I worked here (Malta) for almost the 9o days.

Enjoy Malta it is a lovely place...

Thank you!

Check that your company doesn't check your IP address as when you connect to WiFi most organisations will pick up on this if it is a company device. Although it may be "fine" to work abroad on a tourist visa, you don't want to get into trouble with work....