Which Bank?

Hi

Which Bank would you recommend on the island and why?  For an expat coming in to live on the island.  Good internet banking service.  Thank you  Natasha

Dont touch any government banks. Full of losers who if given a job in a supermarket,will still mess it up. Better to stick to private/Western Banks where you get a better service with a smile. Decision is yours. I have banked with all major banks on the island.

As you have banked with all major banks, for you, which are the best for :
- exchange rates usd/mur
- internet banking (efficient to use)
- good customer support (i.e. if specific document needed)

Thanks

Hi, I am from Canada and banking systems in Mauritius is very backward. Opening a bank in Mauritius, is like you are doing them a favor. In Canada / US, the banks want your business, so be prepared.
I believe HSBC is better for foreigners as you have it all over the world and it would be easier to transfer.
Having said that, I was unable to open an account because they were asking so many documents which is so unreal.
So, I ended with State Bank where the process was easier. There support is not too bad and I believe their customer service is open till 11 PM. There phone app and internet banking is not bad as I am able to transfer from Canada to Mauritius.
So my experience,  opening an account is the a pain in the ass, but once you are setup, it's not that terrible.
I have heard Mauritius Commercial bank is better in terms of website and apps, but never used their services.  It's like I was on trial when I tried to open an account with them.

Thank you, interesting to hear.  Yes, it would seem much the same with MCB.  It takes them days to reply to my emails!  Days!  And I have still not got any where.  Natasha

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Misinformation
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Ahhh thank you, I shall now try HSBC!

Hello,

I think that there is quite a lot of misinformation on this topic. I wouldn't discard the MCB so easily. They still are one of the best banks in Mauritius and they do offer a large variety of services/products.  However due to their customer mass, which is the most important and largest in Mauritius, quality tends to be at times forgotten. It is the most convenient and efficient bank in Mauritius.

The MCB (Mauritius Commercial Bank) is a commercial bank and absolutely not owned by the Government.

MauBank is the one owned by the Government.

That being said, I am not a client of the MCB, I have chosen Absa for some personal reasons but I am looking forward to opening a secondary acccount with the MCB for more practical reasons.

Regards,
A

I would recommend MCB or Afrasia.

@ Moderator. Why pick  my  comment. It was not in breach of any rules. This is an open forum.
To anyone reading MCB is owned by the government. The government owns 74% shares of MCB so it is easy to say that they are major shareholders, effectively owning the bank.

Also to the above poster,I reiterate:
All government banks are geared towards the local economy who are used to the system. Try living in UK, Canada, or Australia and see how quick things are moving forward. Mauritius banks seems to be stuck in 1997 and it is now 2021. I rest my case and let people make their mind up.

On net, I found these are main banks in Mauritius. I request people living in Mauritius, to suggest us, as which of these banks are good for expats as we do not know anything about it. Please guide.

Bank of Mauritius
ABC Banking Corporation Ltd
Absa Bank (Mauritius) Limited
AfrAsia Bank Limited
Bank of Baroda
Bank One Limited
BanyanTree Bank Limited
BCP Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
Century Banking Corporation Ltd
Habib Bank Limited
Investec Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
MauBank Ltd
SBI (Mauritius) Limited
Standard Bank (Mauritius) Limited
Standard Chartered Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
SBM Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
The Mauritius Commercial Bank Ltd

Hi guys,

I have personal accounts in 3 different banks.

As at now, ABSA is the best one based on my personal experience.

Internet banking and mobile app top quality and easy to use.

Also, depending on your situation and account type, you can have a dedicated personal banker to answer all your queries which makes things very smooth.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Anthony

shammikapoor wrote:

On net, I found these are main banks in Mauritius. I request people living in Mauritius, to suggest us, as which of these banks are good for expats as we do not know anything about it. Please guide.

Bank of Mauritius
ABC Banking Corporation Ltd
Absa Bank (Mauritius) Limited
AfrAsia Bank Limited
Bank of Baroda
Bank One Limited
BanyanTree Bank Limited
BCP Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
Century Banking Corporation Ltd
Habib Bank Limited
Investec Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
MauBank Ltd
SBI (Mauritius) Limited
Standard Bank (Mauritius) Limited
Standard Chartered Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
SBM Bank (Mauritius) Ltd
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited
The Mauritius Commercial Bank Ltd

I am British citizen living in Mauritius and my wife is Mauritian.At present I am in Uk,but you have been given advice above.The decision depends on you as no one can tell you how you feel about a bank.I personally have banked with all banks in Mauritius and agree that Absa bank and Afr Asia are good.Some of the banks you have listed will not deal with individual and only deal in commercial or large accounts. Also these banks charge monthly fees minimal, whereas the government banks are free.Once you are on the island you will quickly realise how slow the banking system is here. Beautiful country ruined by stupid red tape and lazy workforce in the bank.

Since asking my question at the top of this forum, I am now dealing with Absa and so far have found their service outstanding.  And yes, a person on a premium visa can open a bank account on the island.  Thank you all for your input.