Starting a business in the Dominican Republic

Hello All,

New to the forum.   Currently living in the US.  Seeking thoughts and advice here.  Want to relocate to the Dominican Republic and open our current company over there. We currently have a bath tub repair business.  Specializing in jetted or whirlpool tub repairs. Mechanical as well as cosmetic repairs.  Acrylic,  fiberglass/ gel coat repairs. 

Is this type of service even needed there?  If we did this, are we required to hire employees,  as here I do the office work, he does the service work.  Would like to keep it that way.  This is just a budding idea as we are thinking of retiring there so why not do it sooner. Why wait.

Thanks for any and all information and advice.

Kim

Welcome to the forums!

I don't know all the specifics of operating a business here, but Lishali Baez is a great attorney who could help you with the requirements for residency and owning/operating a business here. You can reach her on WhatsApp/phone at 809.860.1231. She speaks English and Spanish.

Bathtubs are not very common here, so I would say the areas around Punta Cana and other higher-end, expat-heavy areas would be the only place it would be viable. If you also work with hot tubs and spas, those are much more abundant, but many are built from concrete rather than the drop in type often seen in the US.

To add, if anything needs reparing here in DR you will find someone and very cheap.

Welcome to the forums.   I work with a lot of  expat  business owners here.   Opening a company is the easy part. At some point you will need residency that is a bit more challenging for some. I second the recommendation to Lishali!

Running a business here is challenging.   A quick market  analysis will go a long way to determining feasibility. As stated  not many have bathtubs let along jacuzzi tubs. I would like one!

There are companies that do  bathtub repairs and  making them look  brand new. I had a deep tub redone at a previous residence. Took about   4 hours and the entire cost including all supplies was  equivalent to  US 62,.00 Not sure  if that is going to  be a worthwhile endeavor.

As lennox pointed out there will be local competition  and they  are very  inexpensive in comparison to  expat  wages. 

Your  services would be more appropriate in the higher end  areas  of the country,  Punta Cana,  Casa de Campo and some neighborhoods of  Santo Domingo, Santiago etc.  However  you will need to be  near those areas and that is not cheap either! 

If you are looking to supplement your income, this could work. IF you are looking to  fund a modified  expat lifestyle its going to be challenging!

May I add...
It is EXTREMELY difficult to get people in DR to pay top dollar for top service when there is so much availability of cheap labor.
They will drill you down to cheapen your cost and still want the top service.
Consider your endeavor a hobby, not what might fund your retirement.

I could be wrong... but probably not!