Work in Gib, live in Spain. Which visa and how do I apply?!

Hi All,

Basically, I am hitting a brick wall speaking with the Spanish and Gibraltar Consulates on the matter of visas.

I am a British national, currently living in the UK. I want to accept employment in Gibraltar but need to live in Spain for a couple of reasons.

What I am struggling to find an answer to is whether cross frontier workers are eligible to apply for a fixed term working visa in Spain?

Maybe you know someone who has done or is doing this at the moment? Any information gratefully received!

Thank you 😊

I don't know the answer I'm afraid, but I'm in the same situation so just wondered if you managed to figure it out? Thanks

hi, i also communicated with them a while back. They said that basically you apply for a visa that is 'permission to reside without the right to work in spain' and also register for tax purposes in Spain as you will essentially be paying the difference in tax between gib and spain per annum.

Sorry i cant give you further details as i have deleted the actual email.

@MsThistle Hi did you get any further answers. I'm in the same predicament. I'd be intrested to know how you got on. Good luck.

Hi there!

We opted out of the move in the end, it was just too complicated with too little information. Ultimately it transpired that the non-luctrative visa is the way forward, or so I was expensively advised.

Hope you manage to make the move, I'd love to hear someone's success story!

Hello MsThistle,

Thank you for the little update.

Wish you all the best for the future1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

We're looking into all this at the moment and I can share what we found. 

The non-lucrative visa does not allow you to work anywhere we wrongly followed that route - and that includes Gibraltar.  You need to have income from say rental properties, or a pension to be able to support yourself financially whilst 'on sabatical' or simply not acitvely working - you can have a company that you own but someone else does the day-to-day running. 

The Golden Visa is you own a property outright in Spain worth min 500k allows you to work

I think there is a  'digital nomad' visa in the pipelines no actual date on when it will be available -  that will allow you to live in spain and earn money elsewhere. 

This is all I know but hope it helps.

@nikkirobertson ah yes the digital nomad visa will hopefully come to fruition! It wouldn't be any good for me in my line of work but will be fantastic for so many others.

Keep us updated as you go and best of luck to you! 1f60a.svg