New member moving to Jeddah for work - female

I have been offered a position in Jeddah working at a college.  I would like to be pointed towards any blogs or tips for an American female living and working in Jeddah.  My husband will have visit visa but he will not be living there as of yet.  I intend to start in about 3 months. 

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Welcome to Expat.com dbroschard !

hi and welcome....  my only tip... ensure that they find you a great compound and not some ;little one

welcome on the blog dbroschard
and i hope you will have good time in Jeddah

Thank you.  They have arranged a suitable compound.  I will know more tomorrow.

Hi, I will be moving with my family in September, we will be teaching in Jeddah, and moving into Sharbatley Compound. I was there in June for a couple of weeks and it was a great compound, very safe n loads to do. So where will you be teaching?

Hi my dear, I will not be teaching, I will be working to get a college accredited there.  Where will you be?  What compound will you be living in.  I am not sure as of yet where I will be housed.

Thank you kindly for your response.

Welcome to Saudi Arabia and the forum as well.
Well if you do have any particular queries post them, and we will do our best to help you out!

All the best in Jeddah!

Cheers!

dbroschard wrote:

Hi my dear, I will not be teaching, I will be working to get a college accredited there.  Where will you be?  What compound will you be living in.  I am not sure as of yet where I will be housed.

Thank you kindly for your response.

Hi, We are moving into Sharbatley Compound, Jeddah. It's a largish compound, lots of pools, health/beauty suite shops etc, so plenty to entertain ourselves and our children. There are many others however so you could be in any number of compounds. I am sure that there will be some people on here that will be already living in the compound that you are to be at, so just post up the name when you know it and they will be able to answer any questions you may have.

You new job sounds very interesting, which college will you be working with? We are teaching at Jeddah Knowledge, the girls school goes through to the diploma program, while in the boys we will be taking our first year 6 pupils and growing year on year till we to reach the diploma level.

Have you taught abroad before? Well take care.

Any news on your compound yet??

hi,

any querry plz call 593300936

sajid_mss wrote:

hi,

You keep posting your phone number on threads that are MONTHS old, duh.

Alliecat wrote:
sajid_mss wrote:

hi,

You keep posting your phone number on threads that are MONTHS old, duh.

you think he cares for that ??? as long as he gets a call from any girl, he will be happy

Hi guys

Im relatively new to Jeddah as well and initially stayed at Sharbatly - no doubt its a good compound but it is far from the city so allow at least an hour on the road wherever you wanna go from there given its location

other thing is also that it is across the road from a local prison which doesnt look very prison-like so I dunno how safe that is

the third thing I found annoying there was that its right under the flight path of the jeddah airport runways so you have the constant rumble of aircrafts flying over-head and this is not even peak season - come umrah and hajj season the airport clocks 30-50 flights an hour so it can get very noisy and very busy

I moved from there to Saudi city compound which is more central and not to mention cheaper

The other thing about you is if work is arranging your accomodation in sharbatly and you plan to have you husband visit, make sure you dont end up in a all female residence otherwise you wont be able get your hubby dearest into the compound let alone into your home so just be clear about that

other than that, people might try and scare you about this place, just come here with an open mind and be prepared to know that every thing is bureaucratic and slower than the pace you might be used to- but the country still functions just fine. They just have their own way of doing things and once you accept that life here can be a breeze

ozzinksa wrote:

once you accept that life here can be a breeze

I will agree that people eventually adjust but life here is never a breeze for an expat (well, unless he's here on a ka-jillion dollar contract--I have noticed that  $$ works out all the kinks lol).

indeed $$ can solve many problems hehe have to agree Alliecat