Belgian master chocolatier just arrived in Jeddah ;-)

Hello people,

I just arrived in Jeddah 5 days ago, I hope to meet some people so my life outside of work will be at least a little bit fun too :D

So let me introduce myself:
I'm Erik, 26 years old and just spent the last year working in London for a luxury hotel as chef chocolatier after being trained and having worked several years in my hometown Antwerp.

Now they brought me here for to start and manage a premium chocolate/pastry place and I'm super excited about it can't wait to invite you guys for the grand opening!

In my free time I spend most of my time in the gym as I'm quite serious about that so any fellow gym rats feel free to send me a message as I'm still looking for a proper gym!

Most likely I will be moving into Saudia city compound by january, so any people from there?

How are you people finding Jeddah life?
So far it's going better than expected however the traffic here horrifies me! No discipline at all!

Well that's it from my part for now ;)

OMG I need to make friends with you!  ;)  Which patisserie are you going to be managing, I mean where is it going to be and what is its name?  Is it a local concept, or a chain from abroad?  When is the opening?!

26 and a master chocolatier?  You just might be the coolest dude in Saudi!  Plus, if that's you in the avatar, the coolest in the world!  Watch out though, you will probably get hit on by guys :lol:.  Always wanted to be a pastry chef, but it never happened... perhaps in my next life :cool:.

Welcome to Jeddah, hope you have a good time here.  And hope to taste your creations soon!

Hi Trapezius,

Actually it's a whole new concept and the goal is to establish ourselves all over the Middle east, currently I'm drawing out the concept with the project manager.

Can't give you the name yet as we haven't decided yet.
It will be in Sultan street though and grand opening is scheduled for half to end of March :)

And yes that is me in the avatar haha, it's funny cause only on my second day here I actually got hit on by a few girls but I was too scared to try anything though haha still have to find out how far you can go here... and yes you're right yesterday I got hit on by three guys in less than an hour in a mall... (funny I thought there weren't any gays here? lol)

Great, looking forward to it in March... perhaps it will be on my birthday in March :D

So you make chocolate for a living and maintain a physique like that...  you must be one dedicated and disciplined dude!  So you don't eat much of what you create?  Haha, if I was making chocolate for a living, I am not sure i would be able to see my feet :P.

As for gays here... Ahmadinejad (last President of Iran) said there are no gay people in Iran.  In the same way, officially there are no gay people here :)

Welcome to Jeddah and good luck with your project :)

Welcome Erik. Great to know that a new concept related to chocolates would hit the town. Best of luck for that.

I am residing in Saudi City Compound but didn't know that they allowed singles (assuming you are not married) to reside in the compound as they specifically asked for my wife's documents when I was shifting.

The compound has a couple of basic decent gyms with a small usage fee. They are sufficient unless you are looking for some specific machines.

Any way, best of luck in your venture and don't forget to invite us for the opening.

Such deliciously wonderful news that Jeddah will have a quality chocolate & patisserie shop. Welcome!

Jeddah already has a few quality patisseries, so Jeddah will get another one, which is always good because you can never have too many quality dessert and pastry shops :D

Maybe Erik's will be the best, only time will tell!

a chef chocolatier and gym freak?? thats some combination, i think i be walking around with a belly if i was a chef of any sort, haha..

Welcome to Saudi and Jeddah :)

BAK wrote:

unless you are looking for some specific machines.

Looking at his pic, I can tell he's not a machine guy.  FREE WEIGHTS, baby, free weights!!!

Trapezius wrote:

Jeddah already has a few quality patisseries, so Jeddah will get another one, which is always good because you can never have too many quality dessert and pastry shops :D

Maybe Erik's will be the best, only time will tell!

Well, we 'll definately be different from anything here, my goal is to bring the kind of stuff you will find in the fine patisseries in Paris, Brussels and to some extent London, I have not yet found such items here... is it better? matter of taste.

But I will tell you that if the company didn't at least have the ambition to be the best, I would have stayed nicely in London where I could live the crazy life after work :D I'm here 'cause I want to make a statement

Alliecat wrote:
BAK wrote:

unless you are looking for some specific machines.

Looking at his pic, I can tell he's not a machine guy.  FREE WEIGHTS, baby, free weights!!!

Yeah buddy!!! lol

Hey Erik, these are the best patisserie and chocolate shops here:

Lenotre
Paul
Bon Bon
Amara
Le Gourmet

Just for you info in case you want to visit them.  Maybe you already have!

Except for Paul, they all sell handmade chocolates ranging in price from SR. 300 to SR. 500 per kg.  And then they have the typical French tarts, pastries, macaroons, marron glaces, etc.

Yup, come along with that chocolate!

You re welcome in Jeddah

how's the new place? any news when it will be ready?

We are delayed a little bit but we're aiming to open our doors in the course of March...

[img]facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152308922804524&set=a.458325939523.267775.654299523&type=1&theater[/img]

Hey guys, right now they're fully working on our project... some of you may have noticed the signs of "Le Concheur" on Prince Sultan road where the works are taking place, thats us... ;)
So sit tight for a while, it's coming and it will be awesome ;)

can someone explain to me on how I have to upload a photo to this post?

can hardly wait......  :D

Ohh mannn!! you'll be hit on by anyone(straight or bended)around here if you'll give us discount and stuff!! hahahaha update us bro will be glad to visit your shop one of this day :)

I blame Chocolate for being the problem and the solution of the course of my life  :huh:

For uploading pic's, I tried to find out how for so many times, but with no look

Chocolates!!!!!

I've been trying to upload some pictures but it doesn't really workout here.
For people who want to see some chocolate work: I just posted some pictures of showpieces I made during a stage in California just a few weeks ago preparing for some competitions in the near future on Instagram :)

People who want to have a look on INSTAGRAM: ERIKVANDV
I also posted some more pictures in the Facebook group "Jeddah Foodies" which you find here:
facebook.com/groups/jeddahfoodies/