British Citizen marrying fiancé in Morocco - Paperwork query

@john00000020 i think you dont need to absolute gecree absolute from UK as its digital copy and already mentioned when court email you no need certificate and cant be refused

@Emma22i wage slips no but work letter/contract yes.

@Operation Dabardos this is required if your are devoiced and must be certified also

even the British embassy will request a copy from you at the time of the meeting with them.

hi my name is Adam British citizen im ready get married my fiancé sanaa and she is Morocco citizen- what paperwork do I need

@Adam201063

Check my previous post, it will give you a detailed description of what documents are required and the marriage process:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=986793

Jd im going with my basic dbs is it ok where do i need to show it in rabat?

@Vakil Do the wage slips and letter from employers need to be stamped by the employers. Also do these documents need translation?

Hi

i just got married last month, and you do not need the pay slips, also saves you money on the translation cost, just get a letter from HR,  stating the salary from your workplace, then that will need to be translated

my transition cost me 300 dirham per document.

my fiance found a translator, I sent them a scan via email, to be translated, so i can collect it when i am there, once i was there i need to give them the original copies to verify before they gave me the documents.

The documents below are the only ones I had taken from the UK with me.

Birth certification, 1 page

DBS, 2 pages

HR letter, 1 page

once you have booked your British  embassy   appointment, which can be hard to find for some reason, i was looking for a while and gave up, but my fiance found someone that sells the appointment, but you have to pay for it, she paid for it and we were set for the appointment which was on a Tuesday at 11:30am

I arrived on Monday evening and then we rented a car but we got there quite late and were not given the documents to be able to travel with the car to rabat. we had to go pick up the documents to allow us to travel to rabat, just in case the police stop us.

Now its Tuesday the day of the appointment, my fiance was running late, and we got there to the car rental at 9:45 am got the document we need, and ended up arriving late at the British embassy, once we were there he said that we missed the appointment, he gave us a link to fill in and pay the £75 and then that way would make it easy for them in the British embassy, we did that, not easy on your phone but managed to do it, we got in at 1 pm there was no one there, I would have thought it would be busy with not being able to find an appointment, the lady in the British embassy printed out the documents, double checked everything then i signed it, which was 2 documents that were givem to me, then she said i don't need to translate it as it was in french, but I had to translate it as the court needs it translated, so ignore that when they say dont, just as soon as you get it to send it via email to the translate.

My fiance was with me at the appointment and she had to provide her ID.

Also to get your police check, just do that online, they will send you an email and you can select the location

i did it for rabat, as soon as we finished from the British embassy, we went there, I did my one 3 months before I went, but in the email, if gives you a number, you go there and provide them, then we had to wait for a while, but got it, think we were the last few that got it for the day.

But the process is not that hard, my fiance at the time, had more paperwork, also we found out, they want her to get a test for not being pregnant, we had to go to the laboratory she had a blood sample, and wait for the results, then strange that we still had to go to the doctor, to get another document saying that the information is correct from the laboratory, that something you can do before you come to save time.

but you can do this in 5 days, if not then you will have to stay longer or go and come back.

asalaam alaikum

good evening

i came across this forum by chance. i see people here are friendly and helpful, so i thought i'd post here and ask a couple of questions.

i'm a UK citizen and will be marrying a Moroccan lady in Morocco. i'm aware of what documents i will need. but the one thing that i dont have is my birth certificate. i was born in another foreign land and it wasnt deemed important that newborn children be registered. it was deemed enough to know who you belonged to :) going back to that country to get a birth certificate is not an option.

so i wanted to ask, can an alternative document be used?

thanks in advance for any replies

@MrT786 I think your best bet for a more correct answer is to contact the moroccan consulat in the country you reside and ask them.

@MrT786 if you're British citizen you really don't need  : only you need is British nationality-certificate of naturalisation

salaam guys. thanks for your replies

@guest9235. Moroccan embassy in london doesnt seem to like answering the phone :(

@adam20163 yes i'm a british citizen and hold a british passport. i was brought to the UK when i was 3 years old by my parents, so i travelled on my mothers passport. i dont think i've got 'certificate of naturalisation'. back in those days, i dont think the british passport office wanted too much paperwork. would the british embassy in Rabat accept my british passport as proof of my british citizenship?

i'm also looking for an adoul Rabat as i'll be getting married in Rabat. preferably someone that speaks english so i can communicate directly. can anyone recommend an adoul in Rabat?

thank you

Salaam Ahlikum @MrT786

The British Embassy in Rabat are very helpful, I presented them with my passport as proof of nationality it was enough.

I got married in Rabat, you will struggle to find an Adoul who speaks English. You will be better off letting your Fiancés family find an Adoul to conduct the Nikha.

if you still struggle to find one, let me know and I will try and get you a number of the Adoul who conducted my marriage.

@amir2_0 w/s and thanks for your reply. i've had a look at the UK gov website that provide contact details of notaries and adouls, i called them all but none of them speak english. if you do have an adoul, i would appreciate  it very much if you could forward me he's contact details.

i've recently learned that you do not need to get the 'Certificate of No Impediment' or 'Capacity to Marry' from the UK. you can book a appointment at the UK embassy in Rabat and they can do 'Affirmation/Affidavit' which allows you to marry. does anyone know if this correct?

@MrT786

Yes that is correct you don't need those documents from the UK. The process is much simpler, the British embassy will sort it all out for you.

The Adoul I have contact details for he speaks Arabic. Best thing is to ask your Fiancés family to arrange the Adoul. It will save you a lot of headache.

My now brother-in-law arranged the Adoul - you do know you need to get a police report from Morocco when you arrive there

@amir2_0 is it really as simple as signing the Affirmation/Affidavit at the British embassy? do they do any checks? i think i read on another forum that they contact your local registrar office in the UK and get them publish notices etc.

also, i dont have my birth certificate (i wasnt born in the UK). is that a necessity?

yes i'm aware of the ACRO check from UK and also a police check in Morocco. i think i should have a clean police record in Morocco even though i upset a policeman at Marrakesh airport when i refused to give him a 'coffee' for him checking and stamping my passport :)

@MrT786

when I did mine last year it really was as simple as signing a few forms - they then provided me with the letter I required. Don't overthink it- the Embassy part is straight forward.

give your good time when you go out there, it took us 3 weeks to get all our paperwork sorted and signed off by the judge.

@amir2_0 i guess i am over-thinking it :) i just want to be prepared as much as possible as i'll be on a time limit when i'm there. do you happen to know about anything about the birth certificate, as i dont have mine.

@MrT786 it's a good attitude to have, they are very slack with paperwork things move very slowly.

Not sure about the birth certificate, I was born in the UK I got a copy from the district council I was born in.

Is your fiancé from Rabat?

@amir2_0 yes i do believe things can move very slowly so i'm still trying to find an adoul before i go so he can get things set up before i get there.

yes she lives in Rabat (or rather just outside Rabat)

where in the UK are you?

@MrT786

i am in Bradford, my wife is from central Rabat. Is she from Sale I am guessing?

being close to Rabat is very beneficial as the embassy is at your doorstep.

@ amir2_0 i've got cousins up in bradford (shipley i think). we're not close so i dont really visit them often. i'm down in London.

my fiance is the other way from Sale. its about 20-25mins drive from Rabat center. can i DM you, perhaps we can exchange numbers and have a chat ? in the meantime, thanks ever so much for your help and info.

@MrT786  They don't contact your local register, it's very simple, even more, simple if you do it online and fill it in and pay online, you can do that before your appointment, and that means it will not take long you be in and out in no time,  they just print out the documents that you did online if you do it online, and check everything matches the documents you have, bring your hard copy of your documents I had them with me, she just wanted to check that I had the correct name for the birth certification as I had missed my appointment and had to do fill in the information via my phone but they let us in any way,  and since you are in rabat, you be able to get your police certification, but do that online as well, once you do that online you can just go and collect it, that what i did when i got married this jan.

@MrT786

yes absolutely brother. Drop me a DM

@london185 thanks for the info. i will be getting things set up soon. will post back as i go along so to help others

I'd suggest looking over the forum at the amount of scams going on.

Just for consideration as I'd hate to hear another horror story in a years time.

Why not ask to do the Islamic religious marriage which makes you lawful to eachother as husband and wife. Then agree in a years time you can legally wed?

Doesn't anyone wonder why Moroccans are pushing for marriages to be done and then westerners who would usually take atleast 2 years to propose or accept marriage are just jumping straight in????

Please think about it

@aishahm from your British consulate appointment and approval of documents, you have 3 months to do the Nikah. So thats set from the consulate and not the Moroccan people. 6 months plus would be ideal from submission of documents to allow you to marry.  Do what do they set it to 3 month's.  If you don't do the Nikah in this time you have to restart the process all over again.

@aishahm morocco doesn't recognise ‘nikah'. it's all or nothing. when your having a long distance relationship, it's a fact that your taking a bit of a chance. but there are no garantees in life. i personally knew a friend who was in a relationship for 10 years, had 3 kids and finally had the registry and nikah. and guess what happened, 6 months later their at each other's throats and divorced and now never want to see each other again. sometimes it's down to your fate, sometimes it works out well, sometimes things go wrong. if you don't try, you won't know

Right guys confused please help...

I am from the UK male getting married to my Moroccan fiance.

We have a appointment for affirmation of affivadit at the British embassy consulate in Rabat on the 9th March to swear oath and receive 2 documents. Now the big question is do I need to take these 2 documents to Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Rabat to get translated and legalised or can we do it in Agadir where we will get married?

@khanc85 you can have the documents legalised in Agadir. I will be going from Marrakech to Agadir a few days after you.

@khanc85 brother asslamalikum dm me i can hekp you im akso getting married from Morocco soon

@sirajshah which city you in bro? i'm coming over soon

@MrT786 Birmingham dm me brother

I was just wondering if anyone has had to get a certificate of islam?

if so, how do you get one in Morocco? What is the cost?

@MrT786 im form Birmingham bro inbox me well talk from there in sha allah

hi all. i will be getting married soon and she will join me in the UK after. i wanted to ask, once the Adoul performs the marriage, does he give us the marriage certificate, and we can take that to the UK Embassy to apply for her visa, or does the Adoul send the certificate back to the Court and we need to wait for the Court to send us the marriage certificate before we can apply for her visa? thanks

also how long does it take for the court to send the certificate? thanks

hi all. i will be getting married soon and she will join me in the UK after. i wanted to ask, once the Adoul performs the marriage, does he give us the marriage certificate, and we can take that to the UK Embassy to apply for her visa, or does the Adoul send the certificate back to the Court and we need to wait for the Court to send us the marriage certificate before we can apply for her visa? thanks
-@MrT786

Hi. Once married the adooul will give you a receipt and the certificate will be ready in approximately a week. You have to wait for thé orignal before you can start the visa process.

you will need to translate, legalise also as part of the U.K. immigration process.

hope that helps.

regards

Arif Esa

@Vakil thats good to know. thanks for you reply

@khanc85 I'm assuming your married by now so congratulations! For anyone else looking for the answer to your question..

We have a appointment for affirmation of affivadit at the British embassy consulate in Rabat on the 9th March to swear oath and receive 2 documents. Now the big question is do I need to take these 2 documents to Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Rabat to get translated and legalised or can we do it in Agadir where we will get married?

Anyone else in the same situation.

If your British Embassy appointment is in Rabat the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is in the centre of Rabat not far from Rabat Ville Train Station.. You might as well just get it legalized immediately after your appointment so it's done. The process is fast.

This document will need legalizing before it can be translated.

There are same day document translation services available if you are in a rush to get this translated to Arabic.

Both of the documents from the UK Embassy will need to be legalized by only the Affirmation of Marriage needs translating.