Cross atlantic apartment hunting

Hi All,
So I am trying to hunt an apartment in Edinburgh.  Ideally I would love to find a place even if it is just for a short let before I go.  I am running into the problem that many people don't want to discuss renting without me being able to view it.  Really any advice on how to find a place would be great.  So here are my details:
26 year old Graduate student going to QMU I am currently employed as a theater professor.  I arrive on the 9th of august.  Non-smoking and no pets. I also have no issues if there are pets already in the apt.  I am very neat and clean etc.

What I would like to find has good access to city center (including the bus route to QMU or the Waverly station). under 475 GBP per calendar month.  Ideally I would like a 1 bedroom or studio but I am willing to negotiate on that point.
Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can reach me via e-mail @ [email protected].  Thanks again

Try Ryden Lettings on Hanover Street. Also you could try Queen Margaret University, because if you will be based where I am thinking, out by the Jewel, near the A1, then it might be better to rent an apartment on site initially, while you get your bearings. The area surrounding QMU is not really a good place to live (i.e. Niddrie, Niddrie mains, parts of the Jewel).