Moving to Malta just before the crisis

Hi everybody,

Taking the plunge and daring to move abroad is a real challenge, but when your move to Malta is marked by an unprecedented health, social and economic crisis, as we have been experiencing for just over a year, this change can be much more significant and demanding. If you moved to Malta shortly before or during the pandemic, we would like to know more about your experience.

When and under what circumstances did you move to Malta?

What impact did the restrictions have on your integration into the country?

Were you able to make new friends in your host country and get used to the new culture and environment?

Have you had the opportunity to discover the country or the region where you are staying despite that?

Do you feel "at home" in this new place?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

This doesn't really apply to me as we have been living here for
eight years.  I should imagine it has been harder to make friends
what with lockdowns and not being able to mix with others.
With regards looking around the island that would not be a problem as
Gozo is so small it doesn't take long to visit different areas.
One problem would be finding work especially if you are in
the hospitality trade .

Good morning Diksha,

Thank you for your email, regarding our recent move to Malta.  We have answered your questions, as follows:-

Q: When and under what circumstances did you move to Malta?

A: We relocated to the island of Malta at the end of 2020.  As excited as we were about starting a brand new experience, we also felt quite daunted travelling abroad, amidst a global and deadly pandemic.  I was born on the island of Malta and my family and I, immigrated to Australia when I was a young teenager.  I returned to Malta, several times over the years and my husband and I often discussed moving to Malta, when we both retired.  We sold our condo in Florida in July 2020 and my husband retired at the end of November 2020.  In August 2020, we submitted my husband's application for Maltese citizenship, to the Maltese Embassy in Washington, DC and in the  middle of December, we were given the "go ahead" to travel to Malta.  On December 27th, we tested for the CV-19 virus in Florida and we both tested negative and on December 28th we flew to Malta.  After a long and tiring flight, we arrived at Luqa airport on December 29th and had to be tested again, before being permitted to leave the airport.

Q: What impact did the restrictions have on your integration into the country?

A: Integrating had a HUGE impact on our relocation, because we first had to quarantine for two weeks and then shortly after, Malta went into (partial or otherwise) one lock-down after another.  Needless to say, it was difficult to get out and about and mingle, join groups, go on sight-seeing tours, entertain at home, etc., etc.  On the bright side, we were able to visit the ID and passport offices, in order to acquire ID cards and process our passport applications, etc., and in February 2021, my husband received his Maltese citizenship!  :)

Q: Were you able to make new friends in your host country and get used to the new culture and environment?

A: No, we have not had the opportunity to make any new contacts/friends, because of the ongoing CV-19 virus situation.  We, like many others, look forward to the day, we are able to move freely around the island and enjoy the Maltese culture and environment.

There you go - hope the above helps!

Take care and be safe!
gypsy247

Hi,
My wife and I moved to Malta at the end of October'20. Our original plans was to move towards the end of April however Malta closed down the day before our flight to view prospective homes.
Our house sale was also delayed slightly and we had to move to a temporary rental. Once Malta opened the airport in June we booked a flight and had two weeks here viewing property, finally settling for a rental in Marsaskala.
We originally intended to drive here with our belongings but the pandemic put a downer on that, so flights booked bags packed, dog checked and shipping agent looking after our belongings we flew in the 31st. Because we moved into a furnished maisonette we didn't need large furniture, but we still brought a lot of stuff, that arrived three weeks after we did due to a slight transport logistics delay. There was no delay due to COVID or customs as it was pre Brexit ( how that will change, delays at customs, cost could be astronomical due to import duties, VAT etc unless your moving from a European country).

As my wife is Maltese, her ID card was relatively easy to get however mine was a little bit more difficult even though I'm a Maltese Citizen by marriage, you will have to make sure you have every bit of paperwork up to date and correct to the time of applying especially the dating and signing of photos, so check with IDMalta of any changes that may affect your application. Christmas & Brexit didn't help which also delayed things as we had to send paperwork back to the U.K. to be resigned and re dated as we didn't know anyone in Malta for more than two years. This also affected looking for work. We are now awaiting the driving licence change over, again affecting my type of work.

Provided you kept to the mask and distance rules getting around the island was easy enough, we know the island well and did a lot of the non tourist things, like finding the larger shops, diy type outlets,  a car. We also joined the BRA (British Residents Association) made some friends there as well as getting to know the neighbours, church,  local shop and cafe owners etc. then lockdown came around again.

Because we're Maltese we have been back and forth very regularly, we've done the tourist things and have semi adapted to living how the locals do, so now we are here we have had no trouble adapting to the local customs. Yes it's been easy to communicate as everyone speaks English (my wife lost the language as she has lived in the U.K. since a child, but we are learning it with a little help from shop and cafe assistants.
Yes it's home for both of us now.