Health Insurance Hungary

Good Morning
Could any body recommend a basic health cover insurance company for Hungary ?
Many thanks

A bit out of the blue, just wondering, are you retired, do you have employment, do you have your own company, early retirment (ie younger than 65)? Differs quite a bit between the various scenarios.
A bit of background is I am afraid essential.

Hi thanks for the reply, young retired at 53, not working so no pension coming in.
I was looking for basic health cover, the EHIC was enough until this year
Thanks again
Bob

Bongabob wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply, young retired at 53, not working so no pension coming in.
Thanks again
Bob

I am not at liberty to share details but do not buy Generali. They let someone I know here down, really let them down in their time of need.

I do not know about your financial situation, but early retirement sounds good (also as for your financial means). You apparently have a residency permit to live here so it really should be quite easy as far as health insurance is concerned (I would suggest (I did myself) create a Kft, employ yourselves and your wife and all is done, (If you can create some " income" you can also offset quite some VAT)

Of course having a company creates some expenses, but also quite some savings. If you are actually having a residency permit you must have quite a good (financial) situation I would imagine,

I personally do not like any commercial health insurance, I am perfectly happy with the government scheme. (this will be around or even less then EUR 30 pm (which I think for European standards is not too high (I have to say you have to account that you pay for the dentist yourselves))

Question (for most) why Hungary, but very welcome nonetheless.

Bongabob wrote:

Thanks again
Bob

Are you trying to get a TAJ card and have you been told that you cannot make voluntary contributions for the health care component of social security?

Post-Brexit fallout?

For other readers I hope this will not become yet another Furniture thread, but I stay positive at this stage.

cdw057 wrote:

I do not know about your financial situation, but early retirement sounds good (also as for your financial means). You apparently have a residency permit to live here so it really should be quite easy as far as health insurance is concerned (I would suggest (I did myself) create a Kft, employ yourselves and your wife and all is done, (If you can create some " income" you can also offset quite some VAT)

Of course having a company creates some expenses, but also quite some savings. If you are actually having a residency permit you must have quite a good (financial) situation I would imagine,

I personally do not like any commercial health insurance, I am perfectly happy with the government scheme. (this will be around or even less then EUR 30 pm (which I think for European standards is not too high (I have to say you have to account that you pay for the dentist yourselves))

That's a relatively expensive way of getting state healthcare. 

100 EUR a month book keeping and capital/foundation requirements tied up for the Kft (~10K EUR/3M HUF equivalents). 

And the VAT you can only get if you charge VAT (used to be like that anyway). 

Maybe the obvious way to do it is to loan the Kft the foundation costs personally and then this debt will generate losses for some years or never be paid back.

Bongabob wrote:

Good Morning
Could any body recommend a basic health cover insurance company for Hungary ?
Many thanks

Please explain your situation?

Your profile says you are English, so when did you move?

I did this in Bulgaria, but the principle is the same anywhere in the EU. I registered as unemployed for social security, and pay my monthly contribution (13 euros in my case). This entitles me to free (or nearly free) state healthcare in Bulgaria. And I got a Bulgarian-issued EHIC which covers me when I'm elsewhere in the EU.
I did this in Bulgaria, but the principle is the same anywhere in the EU. I registered as unemployed for social security, and pay my monthly contribution (13 euros in my case). This entitles me to free (or nearly free) state healthcare in Bulgaria. And I got a Bulgarian-issued EHIC which covers me when I'm elsewhere in the EU.
- @gwynj
How does that work post-Brexit?
I think this works in any EU country, even after Brexit. UK citizens, if they're a legal resident (whether obtained before or after Brexit), are entitled to contribute to the local social security system. Contributions (depending on amount/number) then entitle you to the country's usual benefits of pensions, unemployment, and state healthcare (and EHIC).
I think this works in any EU country, even after Brexit. UK citizens, if they're a legal resident (whether obtained before or after Brexit), are entitled to contribute to the local social security system. Contributions (depending on amount/number) then entitle you to the country's usual benefits of pensions, unemployment, and state healthcare (and EHIC).
- @gwynj
Did you fill in the forms to transfer your (British - I assume) social security rights and contributions to Bulgaria?
Ah... yes... that's a whole other issue. There is a process for doing that (and I don't know if it works for Brits post-Brexit, but I'd guess it does).

I didn't touch my UK NI... just packed my bags and left. And then started from scratch as an EU newbie. So I know zilch about the transfer process, sorry!

The health cover comes pretty quickly (a couple of months of contributions) and this was the main issue for me.

If you're young and you're concerned about pension, then maybe a transfer could be useful. But, even then, I'd suggest that it's worth considering just starting from scratch in the new country (but only if their minimum years for pension coincides with your expected stay there). I worked in France for a few years, and I didn't do the transfer then either... so I have wasted/stranded contributions there as I didn't work long enough to qualify for the French minimum pension.

If you're a bit more mature (if you've been married 30+ years you probably are), then it might be quite interesting to top up your UK pension with voluntary self-employed NICs (which are cheap as chips). I think I paid about 15 years of NICs to get to a full UK pension entitlement.
Ah... yes... that's a whole other issue. There is a process for doing that (and I don't know if it works for Brits post-Brexit, but I'd guess it does).

I didn't touch my UK NI... just packed my bags and left. And then started from scratch as an EU newbie. So I know zilch about the transfer process, sorry!

The health cover comes pretty quickly (a couple of months of contributions) and this was the main issue for me.

If you're young and you're concerned about pension, then maybe a transfer could be useful. But, even then, I'd suggest that it's worth considering just starting from scratch in the new country (but only if their minimum years for pension coincides with your expected stay there). I worked in France for a few years, and I didn't do the transfer then either... so I have wasted/stranded contributions there as I didn't work long enough to qualify for the French minimum pension.

If you're a bit more mature (if you've been married 30+ years you probably are), then it might be quite interesting to top up your UK pension with voluntary self-employed NICs (which are cheap as chips). I think I paid about 15 years of NICs to get to a full UK pension entitlement.
- @gwynj
I'm 61 so approaching retirement age.  If you apply here for say, a health card, they want to know about your social security contributions elsewhere.  It's to avoid paying twice.   

The HU authorities then ask the UK to provide proof of contributions to transfer the credit here and de-register you there (in the UK).  This is bad news.   If you are in receipt of a UK state pension then the UK will give you an S1 form which will automatically get you enrolled in the HU healthcare system.  Obviously it makes no sense to enrol pensioners in the unemployment or pension pillars of social security.   

I'm  at the limits of my knowledge.  We don't know for certain if they transfer the pension part to pay from here.  There's no way anyone would want the HU government to get hold of that money or have control on how it's paid out.   I fear the government will raid the country's finances are out of control and they could raid the SS funds to pay for something politically motivated.

One thing about the UK NICs is that voluntary contributions you reach with 34 years so paying more gives you nothing back.   If you reached the limit, it's something like £179.80 per week maximum pay out.  It's not a great amount of money in the general scheme of things.

We haven't uncovered a way of paying social security voluntarily here in HU if you are NOT a citizen.  Seems not to be a thing here whereas in the UK, it's quite easy.

If you know of some details on the EU rules are or something other thing, please share.
Well... I agree that a state pension only would not be a generous retirement, especially in the UK or other high-cost country. I was similarly skeptical about it. But I figured better to have it than not have it. :-) Now, I'm in Bulgaria, where the statutory minimum wage is 360 euros per month (it's the poorest country in the EU). The full new state pension of £179.60 per week is 780 quid a month, or about 930 euros. Getting 2.5x the minimum wage is actually a pretty nice pension here (especially as many Bulgarian pensioners get less even than the minimum wage). Like you, I don't get it yet, but it will be a nice bonus one day. :-)

The UK allows voluntary NICs... and, in particular, overseas self-employed (Class 2) NICs. These are only £3.15 per week, or just £164 for every year of contributions (the other classes are much more expensive). So you can quite easily make up your record to the 35 years needed for a full pension. Comparing 1/35 of the pension with the VNIC, It's actually a super deal. As well as topping up, the UK also allows you to defer, so you can get an extra 6% for every year you delay receiving it. But many expats don't realize that they can do these things to boost their pension.

I can't remember my exact top-up, but it was around 15 years (and I was amazed that my State Pension Forecast was only 15 short, as I'd been working abroad since my 30s). This means that for a one-off payment of £2,500 ish (15 x 3.15 x 52), I am upping my pension by roughly £4,000 a year, for every year my pension gets paid (15/35 x 179.60 x 52). So, if I don't defer (i.e. start at 66) and make it to 80 (i.e. another 14 years), then I'd get back £56,000.

As far as I could tell, it was far better for me to leave my UK NI/pension as is (but top it up with VNICs) than try to transfer elsewhere (such as Bulgaria or Hungary) and try to add to it here. Most countries have minimum contribution periods of 10-15 years, so it's too late for me to start another pension pot elsewhere.

When you get your pension, then you can get an S1 form, and that evidences our right to state healthcare in the EU. But we still need cover for the years until then. The easy option is a private health insurance policy, but these can be a little expensive. Not as pricey in Hungary and Bulgaria, of course, but still a substantial expense (and significant increases with your age and pre-existing conditions).

Here in Bulgaria, I didn't care about getting a Bulgarian pension or unemployment benefits. But I wanted to be part of the health system. So I registered as unemployed with social security, and I pay their minimum contribution (13 euros per month). After a few payments, I was fully covered and eligible for free healthcare. And I could get a Bulgarian-issued EHIC. They didn't ask about my past record elsewhere, and my guess is that there are a lot more new migrants who start from scratch, than want to deal with the rigmarole of transferring their record from another country.

A nice bonus here was that I found that private hospitals (there is a very nice one opposite my apartment) are also covered by the state healthcare system, and you just pay the difference for the VIP room/treatment option.

I would have expected this option to be available elsewhere in the EU, not just Bulgaria. The EU rules are pretty clear that countries should not discriminate against legal residents vs citizens, and that includes access to bank accounts, employment, pensions, healthcare, benefits and so on. However, you might be right that Hungary (or maybe others) don't strictly adhere to some particular aspects of a EU directive. But even if they don't, it's more likely that it's while you're a temporary resident (the initial 5 years residence permit) vs. permanent resident (the EU "long term" residence permit valid for 10 years that you get after 5 years).
I know one must have a work histroy in Hungary of a min. of 15 years to collect any SS from Hungary.
My HU husband only had 9 years in so he gets nada here.
We both retired early, me at 52 and started collecting from the US when I turned 62. We both lost 25% of our SS by opting to get it early.
We really don't care, there is no quarantee that anyone is going to live long enough to get a dime, might as well get something vs getting nothing at all.
I have used the national health here and so far it's OK.
Some issues were not taken care of as I had expected but overall when it came down to something serious I was treated seriously.
My only ,"fear" was the professor in charge asked my husband and I if I was a HU citizen or not. When we answered no, he said that's too bad.
Sort of gave me second doubts on my care, why ask that question?
We told him it was no problem for me to apply for it but he brushed it off.
Maybe HU let's you top up too? If he has 9 years, he just needs to contribute 6. Probably won't be much of a pension anyway, but every little helps. :-)

I'm not sure what the "HU citizen" question is for (but maybe it's just a shortcut, he assumes all citizens get free treatment, which is a common doctor assumption in the UK too), but I would not simply answer "no". I would clarify that I am a permanent resident (and I'd imagine you are by now). In theory, a HU PR has to be treated identically to a HU citizen in every respect except the right to vote.
Maybe HU let's you top up too? If he has 9 years, he just needs to contribute 6. Probably won't be much of a pension anyway, but every little helps. :-)

I'm not sure what the "HU citizen" question is for (but maybe it's just a shortcut, he assumes all citizens get free treatment, which is a common doctor assumption in the UK too), but I would not simply answer "no". I would clarify that I am a permanent resident (and I'd imagine you are by now). In theory, a HU PR has to be treated identically to a HU citizen in every respect except the right to vote.
- @gwynj

That is some sweet advice but is not relevant to out lives in this point in time.
We knew we would take a hit by retiring at 62 and we didn't really care one way or the other.
In fact it could actually work in our favor if we ever returned home to the uSA.
We would be considered low income seniors and get the perks that come with that class...
We would first of course give away any asests we had to our son. It ain't cheatin' if it's done the right way... Every  person with any accests know theire are loop holes..Not put in place for us everyday fools but for the ellite. Might as well use the system while one can.
Can't get blood out of a pirnup.
We would move to Honolulu, our fave place and let the system take care of us.
Not any guilt over it either, they owe us more then they could ever pay out.
Yes ne can pay into the HU SS systme but getting that extra 48,000 per month isn't going to do all that much for us.
We are old school,"Hippies' in many ways and really do not care one way or the other about material things.
I feel so free knowing I have no dog in the fight.
We know so many Hungarins living here in HU that we know in S.Ca. and I have to say even though most or even older then I am, they are trapped in the materail world.
Still seeking fame and fortune in their old age. Have to feel a bit sorry for these ost souls who are still into this worlds status symbols ...
Makes me laugh in some ways...One dude we have known forever and a day had an entire atricle on HU news daily all about his new  art gallery. If they only knew his past and how he got where he is now, heads would explode.
It's all good

Even if we live on 75% less then we had 20 some years ago, it's all good. I am happy as a clam without worry from working or giving a hoot about anything outside of my own little world. May sound selfish but at our ages and with our history, we know we don't owe anyone anything.
I am really aware that things are abut to change world wide, even all the funds we have squirled away might become nule and void soon.  Whie everyone was hooked on news of Will Smith vs Chris Rock,the World Economic Forum had a meeting with over 30,000 world leaders... No media coverage about that.

I am Dutch and Schengen, on top of that I made a company (paying me and my wife), I have to say not too expensive (but this is relative). If paying/getting/or even no salary as I understand it should be EUR 30 pm, In our case it was EUR 30 for me and even less for my wife (part time contract).
Having said that for some EUR 30 pm can be an issue, however so far (very conflicting with some other posts) I am actually very happy with Hungarian Healthcare (Cataract and negative Cholesterol notably)
Of course negative remarks on Hungary, but in Hungary they noted some serious issues whcih were not even considered in UK, Lux or Netherlandds; old doctors can be, but they see things ( ( have to say I will miss him)
@gwynj In my view pension is individual responsability (also linked to be born in a good country or not, born eg in Ruanda is less favaourable then the UK, still. Health is imprtant clearly and I just posted, in Hungary nothing to complain, if you have to complain on pension (please also look at yourself, you can still use internet, you should be able to collect (for me I am in a situation at yourself (probably more complex than you even (Netherlands, Lux, Netherlands again, UK, Lux (again), creating company in Hungary and now in Turkey (let us say intersting to deal at 65 (or at other age depending on domicile on where to claim)
If you choose jobs without pension, sorry your mistake, you should have saved. No excuses in my view (apart from hyperinflation)

VERY VERY good verb in Dutch, every house has their own cross to carry (on our case it is more luxury, but still to deal with)
Living in Hungary is the same, many pluses, but also minuses (I have lived here for  7 years (happily for the bigger part))

for GWYNJ, please get real and accept life (and enjoy where you can)
@cdw057 Just accept some additional cash for doctors/nurses/gardeners/... Just accept, in your own country probably limited, but in a foreign country, you have to pay, irrespective of UK, Netherlands, Lux, Hungary, Turkey (we have experience :), or :( )
Still you pay more, but perhaps less and you could get good service.

Sad, you have too little money, but definitely sure you have more then those Syrians regugees in Turkey who people like to ignore (a lot of people for Ukraine (I Sympathize and support, but many people are forgotten).
A pension of GBP180 pw is decadant in Turkey (often far less for the month), yes I hope to get more, but GBP 180 pw is a pension which is bigger then a salary for most. WTF are you complaining (even if I get GBP 1000 pw (which is not the case btw).
LOOK around at look at cost of living

Always pluses minuses everywhere, but complaing about GBP 180 pw  (I think that is SICK)
BTW being self emplyerd, implies clever and able to work, also being able to make an (at least( a big capital, it you are self employed is more against you  (what did you do ?, why did you not gather capital?)

- @gwynj
No, we are not treated equally here in the system.    There's a difference between PR and citizenship or EU treaty rights.   Here, before Brexit, we had rights but post-Brexit, we only have permission.  There are lots of things we lost like free travel for retired EU citizens on Budapest transport.

We know that HU citizens are treated differently.  If you are a HU citizen, you are automatically accepted into the system for SS and you can pay the fixed amount voluntarily.  Foreigners are not accepted into the system without providing a certificate from wherever they paid before.  If these are SS treaty countries, the certificates which can be used to show contributions Hungary can be expected to claim from the other country.   What happens about non-treaty countries I do not know. All EU countries were SS treaty countries until Brexit.  Now it's not so clear and I didn't look more.

BTW, you missed out an important aspect on UK voluntary NICs.  You can only pay back 7 years if you have gaps in the records.  And once you've paid in 34 years, it makes no sense to contribute more.  You've reached the upper limit for pension contributions and you're done.   Paying more in won't get you anything past the basic payout.

It is still possible to use the UK issued EHIC cards here until they expire.  After that, there's a GB health card which will work supposedly.  I have no idea if it really does.  Using a EHIC card is much more problematic than if for example, an HU citizen goes to the hospital A&E in the UK.  There they won't even bother to check out the nationality in the UK.  You'd get treated anyway and be sent on your way assuming it's not so serious.   Even at a UK GP, they don't bother with the paperwork.  It's too time consuming to fill in.  I have no idea what would happen here if one tried to use an EHIC here in the event of a serious issue.   Here, at the GP, they definitely take the EHIC details and there is a lot of messing about at the pharmacies as well.   It's not a great system - over 60 in the UK, everything, including medicines is free. Here, medicines have to be paid for regardless of age and it can cost quite a bit if it's not a subsidised medicine.
@fluffy2560

Please bear with me, as this reply is quite long. I hope it doesn't sound argumentative, but I think you raise some very important issues.

UK PENSION
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I thought I'd explained it was 35 years requirement for a full pension, hence each year of contributions (or voluntary contributions) is worth 1/35th of the full weekly pension. And, of course, you are right that you try to top-up to 35 years, not more. (Although some who work do end up making more contributions, as it's obligatory, even though the pension won't increase.)

It's a great point that there is a limit of 7 prior years. But if someone was, say, 55, that still gives a lot of flexibility for topping up (7 prior years, 11 future years, total 18). There is, I believe, some extra leeway (10 years 2006-2016) depending on your age (born after 1951) because of the introduction of the new state pension. In your case, I'd guess, roughly 7 past, and 5 future = 12. Plus, as your retirement is fairly soon, the extra 10 years leeway likely applies to you (so, 2006-2027 roughly, or 60% of a full pension).

There are some other rules, of course, I had tried to simplify. But, in short, it's worth having, if you're eligible. If you've already made 35 years contributions and you'll be getting a full pension, congratulations. If not, it's perhaps worth getting a pension forecast / NI record, and reading about this process.

EU DIRECTIVES
If you read the EU directives, you will see that there are specific rights (not permissions) granted to "long term" EU residents, or permanent residents. This is part of the EU's aspirations for freedom of movement, social and professional mobility, and social integration.

The directives are quite clear that these rights are considered almost identical to the rights that come with a Hungarian (or other EU) passport, which we similarly enjoyed with our UK passports prior to Brexit. You will find that a lot of national legislation across the EU mentions citizens or nationals... but also clarifies elsewhere that this includes EU long-term residents.

If you already have your HU PR, you can relocate elsewhere in the EU, for whatever reason, and you only have to meet the same formalities as EU passport holders (proof of address, proof of funds, proof of health insurance).

Passports feel a bit more secure, so I suppose it's an emotional issue. My partner is fixated on getting her Spanish passport, even though, as an EU PR, there will be very limited practical benefit. So, in this context, perhaps you feel that a residence permit is only a vague "permission" that can be withdrawn on a whim. This is not the case... and especially not with a PR. If you read this bit of the directive, it's very clear that once you have the PR it must be automatically renewable (even after its expiry date), and can only be lost under very specific and narrow circumstances.

EU SOCIAL SECURITY
You may have tried to enroll in the Hungarian social security system in your first years (as a temporary resident) and been rebuffed. I am quietly confident that if you return with your PR card, you have to be accepted. But there are many foreign workers who come to Hungary too. If they have a job (as an employee with an employment contract) then they have to make social security contributions (even if they are not HU citizens or HU PRs). This is similar across the EU, as legal residents (temporary or permanent) have to be allowed some way of accessing the social security system, both for contributions, and any ensuing benefits.

EHIC
It is still possible to use your UK EHIC, but it's probably not correct (or, strictly speaking, legal) to do so! There is an obscure category of crime that is "health insurance fraud". More commonly it's foreigners (or, potentially, long-term British expats) coming to the UK in order to obtain fabulous UK NHS hospital treatment free of charge. But, similarly, it applies to folks using EHICs (or GHICs) outside the UK when they're not entitled to.

I've had mine in my wallet, but I've never used it. So I have no idea if there's any level of checking as to my entitlement to use it. Maybe they just check it hasn't expired and everybody's happy. :-)

Of course, I understand the temptation. If you have a UK EHIC, it's issued for 5 years. And if you keep a UK address, it's easy to renew. And Hungary has refused you. So what does one do?

I'm British, but I live outside the UK, and have done so for many years. I am an EU legal resident. I have a full NI record. But I am not, according to the rules, entitled to either use my UK EHIC here in Bulgaria, or pop back to the UK for free NHS hospital treatment. But, I agree, maybe I'd get away with the former when I flash my UK EHIC... and the latter might be especially tempting as I'd probably get away with it if I flash my UK passport.

The S1 is different. That specifically covers healthcare outside the UK, and is for non-resident UK pensioners. These work across the EU, so I'm sure Hungary will be happy with yours. But that's a few years away.

Until then our options, officially, are sorting out our social security contributions/membership of local healthcare system and/or buying a private health insurance policy.

@cdw057

I'm not sure how I offended you. I said that the UK full pension is a very useful income, especially if you are living in a lower-cost country such as Hungary or Bulgaria (or Turkey). Hence, I think it's a good idea to top-up and try to maximize your entitlement. I also appreciate that this doesn't much interest you as you're not a UK citizen. But I'd guess the Netherlands has a similar system. Or perhaps you have a nice fat pension anyway, in which case, well done you! :-)

Personally, I'm not at all looking forward to being 66 (wow, that sounds so old!), but 180 quid a week will be a nice birthday bonus. :-)

Separately, I thank you for your concern about my financial well-being. :-) But even without the UK pension, I think I'll be OK.

The EHIC was only meant to be used for travelling, it was never meant to use as a replacement for health insurance in the country. 

UK PENSION
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I thought I'd explained it was 35 years requirement for a full pension, hence each year of contributions (or voluntary contributions) is worth 1/35th of the full weekly pension. And, of course, you are right that you try to top-up to 35 years, not more. (Although some who work do end up making more contributions, as it's obligatory, even though the pension won't increase.)

It's a great point that there is a limit of 7 prior years. But if someone was, say, 55, that still gives a lot of flexibility for topping up (7 prior years, 11 future years, total 18). There is, I believe, some extra leeway (10 years 2006-2016) depending on your age (born after 1951) because of the introduction of the new state pension. In your case, I'd guess, roughly 7 past, and 5 future = 12. Plus, as your retirement is fairly soon, the extra 10 years leeway likely applies to you (so, 22 years roughly, or 60% of a full pension).

There are some other rules, of course, I had tried to simplify. But, in short, it's worth having, if you're eligible. If you've already made 35 years contributions and you'll be getting a full pension, congratulations. If not, it's perhaps worth getting a pension forecast / NI record, and reading about this process.

I've had the forecast and there's no value in additional contributions.  Never been informed on additional contributions with a leeway of 10 extra years as I would pay if it helped.  Never seen a link on what difference it would make.  It's like I've become paid up.

Mrs Fluffy has  been investigating how to pay voluntarily  back payments into the system here - she has  some gaps as she was travelling the world with me until the kids arrived.   She hasn't had a lot of luck finding out and if it's worth it here.   She's not that far away from retirement age herself.  As a local, it's a lot easier for her to find out. 

Always useful to see a link to see official info.

EU DIRECTIVES
If you read the EU directives, you will see that there are specific rights granted to "long term" EU residents, or permanent residents. This is part of the EU's aspirations for freedom of movement, social and professional mobility, and social integration.

The directives are quite clear that these rights are considered almost identical to the rights that come with a Hungarian (other EU) passport, which we similarly enjoyed with our UK passports prior to Brexit. You will find that a lot of national legislation across the EU mentions citizens or nationals... but also clarifies elsewhere that this includes EU long-term residents.

If you already have your HU PR, you can relocate elsewhere in the EU, for whatever reason, and you only have to meet the same formalities as EU passport holders (proof of address, proof of funds, proof of health insurance).

Need a link on that. 

My understanding is that there's no freedom of movement for British people now, even with HU PR.   The 5 year PR is not inter-EU transferrable until after 5 years when an 10 year EU blue card is required.  Then it's a kind of freedom of movement again.  It's not automatically given.   Needs to be applied for.  Yet another plastic card to justify existence here or anywhere.

BTW, our Brexit PR cards say Article 50 rights on them. 

BTW, the previous registration cards used here before PR cards became mandatory were not recognised outside of HU (in 2021).  It was a PITA crossing Schengen borders.  I haven't crossed a Schengen border outside of HU since because I was hassled in Germany by thick headed border guards.  I now don't travel across Schengen borders outside of Hungary now.  Only direct flights back to the UK.

Passports feel a bit more secure, so I suppose it's an emotional issue. My partner is fixated on getting her Spanish passport, even though, as an EU PR, there will be very limited practical benefit. So, in this context, perhaps you feel that a residence permit is only a vague "permission" that can be withdrawn on a whim. This is not the case... and especially not with a PR. If you read this bit of the directive, it's very clear that once you have the PR it must be automatically renewable.

It's not an emotional issue.   Passport - EU or local - is definitely going to be useful.   There would be no need to mess about at immigration.   Passport control doesn't give you a second look with EU documents and we wouldn't  have  to plead for them not to stamp our passports which is only going to lead to trouble.   

I would disagree that PR provides any rights at all.  It's very hard to deport an EU citizen but here, things are more mercurial, ideologically and politically driven.  PR seems like it could be rejected or removed without reference to any claim of (EU) treaty rights, especially on political grounds. 

Got a specific link on these EU directive references for automatic renewal and automatic rights with equivalence to EU citizens' rights?

EU SOCIAL SECURITY
You may have tried to enroll in the Hungarian social security system in your first years (as a temporary resident) and been rebuffed. I am quietly confident that if you return with your PR card, you have to be accepted. But there are many foreign workers who come to Hungary too. If they have a job (as an employee with an employment contract) then they have to make social security contributions (even if they are not HU citizens or HU PRs). This is similar across the EU, as legal residents (temporary or permanent) have to be allowed some way of accessing the social security system, both for contributions, and any ensuing benefits.

EHIC
It is still possible to use your UK EHIC, but it's probably not correct (or, strictly speaking, legal) to do so! There is an obscure category of crime that is "health insurance fraud". More commonly it's foreigners (or, potentially, long-term British expats) coming to the UK in order to obtain fabulous UK NHS hospital treatment free of charge. But, similarly, it applies to folks using EHICs (or GHICs) outside the UK when they're not entitled to.

That's quite true, they are not supposed to be used if not resident in the UK.   

I've had mine in my wallet, but I've never used it. So I have no idea if there's any level of checking as to my entitlement to use it. Maybe they just check it hasn't expired and everybody's happy. :-)

I have used my UK one some years ago, pre-Brexit and it wasn't entirely worth the effort. It was easier to just pay in cash and skip the messing about.    It was slightly cheaper to get the medicines but it was hardly a lot.   But when I used it way back, they took all the numbers.   

Many years ago, we have used the NHS the other way during a visit to the UK.  Our baby was sick, the doctor was Polish which was kind of interesting.  Upshot was no-one asked a thing about documentation.  It was so long ago, our kid is now a tall teenager!
Of course, I understand the temptation. If you have a UK EHIC, it's issued for 5 years. And if you keep a UK address, it's easy to renew. And Hungary has refused you. So what does one do?

Even if it's not actually used for healthcare, it can be used to "prove health insurance" in PR applications so long as it's valid date wise.

I'm British, but I live outside the UK, and have done so for many years. I am an EU legal resident. I have a full NI record. But I am not, according to the rules, entitled to either use my UK EHIC, or pop back to the UK for free NHS hospital treatment. But, I agree, maybe I'd get away with the former when I flash my UK EHIC... and the latter might be especially tempting as I'd probably get away with it if I flash my UK passport.

In an emergency, the EHIC would be useful as a backup but here,  some kind of insurance might be useful.  Medics charge individuals for everything routine like blood tests so insurance might cover that.  Others here know that the private health insurance issued to those applying for PR is not very effective. 

The S1 is different. That specifically covers healthcare outside the UK, and is for non-resident UK pensioners. These work across the EU, so I'm sure Hungary will be happy with yours. But that's a few years away.

The S1 should be fairly automatic and I will receive mine in  2026. It's not that far away unfortunately.
Until then our options, officially, are a private health insurance policy, or sorting out our social security contributions/membership of local healthcare system.

Anecdotal evidence here is that individual expat non-company private healthcare insurance doesn't deliver here.  It satisfies the PR process but doesn't really pay out.   SS is a better way to go. 

- @gwynj
The EHIC was only meant to be used for travelling, it was never meant to use as a replacement for health insurance in the country. 
- @SimCityAT

It's a back up to travel insurance.   It's been difficult to get long term world wide travel insurance because of the pandemic.  It's really difficult to get that kind of thing here.   Health insurance itself, that covers the entire world,  is unaffordable as a private individual unless you're a gadzillionaire.

I liken it to the  car insurance I have for my hobby car (not far away from being enough of a classic old-timer). I can only get the most basic insurance 3rd party insurance for it.  It's unaffordable to have  anything like all risks with limited deductibles. 

- @gwynj

Yes, my hsband was told at the HU SS office that he could."top off" but it wasn't worth it to us.
He worked under the old commie system and the money is wasn't going to be enough to bother with. He looked into this subject in person over a decade ago.
Even if he had collected these past 10 years it really wouldn't be much of a game changer.
My justice system would be differnt but I have no say in anything in gov. affairs.
Considering he was in a trade school in HU frm age 14 to 18, worked several days per week under a master machinist and produced some parts  which were actually smething of value, he should get sme time credit for  what he produced plus being only age 14 and having a 6 days per week  wrking/scholing life  with 10 to 12 hours per day that should be brken down into months and years far beyond the normal 9 to 5 hours people work now days.
It's all good though, life is never fair and never will be.
If we really cared that much neither of us would of retired early and lost 25% each in monthly income.
I think we always feel like if we were tight on funds we would just get jobs again in the US.
We never expected the gov. to do much for us, here in Hungary I am grateful we have health coverage.
The US would treat us worst then HU does.

You're still not getting my point as to the legality of your EHIC (or your UK NHS) usage. It's a bit arcane, maybe, but it's a true thing. Maybe it doesn't matter, especially as you seem to have gotten away with it, no problem. You seem to be assuming that if you're British, and you have a UK EHIC card, that you're entitled to get medical treatment anywhere in the UK and EU (if EHIC, the world if GHIC) on Boris' tab. This is not actually the test (it's a while since I read it, but I believe it's to do with being "ordinarily resident" in the UK, and this can apply to both Brits and foreigners - and generally doesn't apply if we've been living elsewhere for the last few years).

I'm a bit more risk-averse perhaps, so if the situation arises that I do actually need some treatment, that would not be a good time for me to find out that they do have some way of deciding that they shouldn't accept mine. :-)

You are right that the EU directives say that an EHIC should satisfy the health insurance requirement for immigration. But not all countries agree. Bulgaria accepted mine. Spain didn't... on the very logical basis that as soon as they admitted me, I would be a Spanish resident, and hence the UK EHIC should not be used/accepted. But, even there, I'm inclined to think that the EU is correct... because I'd guess an unexpired EHIC will get accepted... and the UK will reimburse the cost when Hungary sends your bill over. So the only possibility is that the UK realizes that you shouldn't have used it, and demands you reimburse them, along with penalties. And maybe this is a very tiny possibility.

You also, I think, are perhaps a bit confused about PR, Permanent Resident, which in EU-speak is a "long term" resident.

They don't (as far as I know) issue 5 years PRs. Typically they issue the temporary (initial) residence card for 5 years (to EU citizens, to non-EU citizens usually 1 or 2 years). Then, at 5 years, when you renew you get the long-term residence permit which is typically (although perhaps HU is an exception) issued for 10 years. The 10 year card is the PR. The 5 years card is a residence card, but not a permanent/long term one. The 5 year card grants you local country rights, the 10 year cards grants you further local and EU-wide rights.

WIth the 5 years card they might discriminate on the social security (if you're unemployed / not working / studying / retired... but should be OK if you're employed or self-employed). With the 10 years card they shouldn't discriminate at all.

The PR is valid as a travel document instead of your passport within the EU. Your temporary card isn't, so if you flash that at immigration they will ask for your passport.

Maybe you're right that an Article 50 PR is more restricted than a regular PR, but I have not found anything that says this.

There are private medical policies designed only to satisfy immigration (these are for emergency treatment/repatriation). So they do pay out, but only in very narrow circumstances. These are not true health insurance policies to cover you for all/most medical situations. The former is very cheap (say 100 euros or less), while the latter tends to be quite expensive (say, 500 euros up to thousands of euros, depending on your age, pre-existing conditions, and country issued). Travel insurance is yet another type of medical cover, which has similar cover to the cheap immigration option, but obviously isn't acceptable to immigration as it runs out quickly (usually has maximum of 60 or 90 days per trip).

Most of the above can be verified in the relevant EU Directives.

DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC definitely applies to you as the non-EU family member of an EU citizen:

If you've been in Hungary more than 5 years (and got the PR), DIRECTIVE 2003/109/EC should apply:

EU COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 2003/109/EC

"concerning the status of third-country nationals who are long-term residents"

"The integration of third-country nationals who are long-term residents in the Member States is a key element in promoting economic and social cohesion, a fundamental objective of the Community stated in the Treaty."

"Member States shall grant long-term resident status to third-country nationals who have resided legally and continuously within its territory for five years immediately prior to the submission of the relevant application."

"The status as long-term resident shall be permanent, subject to Article 9."

"Member States shall issue a long-term resident's EC residence permit to long-term residents. The permit shall be valid at least for five years; it shall, upon application if required, be automatically renewable on expiry."

"In order to constitute a genuine instrument for the integration of long-term residents into society in which they live, long-term residents should enjoy equality of treatment with citizens of the Member State in a wide range of economic and social matters, under the relevant conditions defined by this Directive."

"Long-term residents should enjoy reinforced protection against expulsion. This protection is based on the criteria determined by the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights. In order to ensure protection against expulsion Member States should provide for effective legal redress."

"To avoid rendering the right of residence nugatory, long-term residents should enjoy in the second Member State the same treatment, under the conditions defined by this Directive, they enjoy in the Member State in which they acquired the status."

You're still not getting my point as to the legality of your EHIC (or your UK NHS) usage. It's a bit arcane, maybe, but it's a true thing. Maybe it doesn't matter, especially as you seem to have gotten away with it, no problem. You seem to be assuming that if you're British, and you have a UK EHIC card, that you're entitled to get medical treatment anywhere in the UK and EU (if EHIC, the world if GHIC) on Boris' tab. This is not actually the test (it's a while since I read it, but I believe it's to do with being "ordinarily resident" in the UK, and this can apply to both Brits and foreigners - and generally doesn't apply if we've been living elsewhere for the last few years).

I assume you are addressing me - use the quote button.

You didn't read what i said nor do you know the circumstances.  I never said I used an EHIC card when I was wasn't entitled to use it.

I'm a bit more risk-averse perhaps, so if the situation arises that I do actually need some treatment, that would not be a good time for me to find out that they do have some way of deciding that they shouldn't accept mine. :-)

You are right that the EU directives say that an EHIC should satisfy the health insurance requirement for immigration. But not all countries agree. Bulgaria accepted mine. Spain didn't... on the very logical basis that as soon as they admitted me, I would be a Spanish resident, and hence the UK EHIC should not be used/accepted.

You also, I think, are perhaps a bit confused about PR, Permanent Resident, which in EU-speak is a "long term" resident.

I don't think I am confused at all.  PR means permanent resident in HU.  It doesn't give me any rights in say, Austria.  Now the UK is out of the EU, we're all the same as 3CN (third country nationals) and  from what I read we need a EU Blue Card to work outside of HU in another EU country.   These are only available post-5years PR. One of Boris's unintended consequences.

They don't (as far as I know) issue 5 years PRs. They issue the temporary (initial) residence card for 5 years (to EU citizens, to non-EU citizens usually 1 or 2 years). Then, at 5 years, when you renew you get the long-term residence permit which is issued for 10 years. The 10 year card is the PR. The 5 years card is a residence card, but not a permanent/long term one. The 5 year card grants you local country rights, the 10 year cards grants you EU-wide rights.

Here in HU, there are only 5 year PR cards in the first instance for Brexit folk.  The renewal after 5 years means issuance of a 10-year card but current information is that it needs to be applied for.  It does not renew automatically.  I'm looking at  my PR card and it's only valid until 2027 as I received it this year. 

Before I had an EEA registration card (this is what they issued to British citizens, post Brexit and these expired 31 December 2021).     These EEA cards were unrecognised by border cards despite them being valid in HU.  Since they have now expired, PR cards were issued as per the 3CN route but it does say Article 50 on it.

It's a screw up in itself as it takes no account of previous time in Hungary and will therefore affect any attempt at naturalisation which requires one to have had a residence permit for I think 5 years  (don't remember exactly but it's not that long).   

WIth the 5 years card they might discriminate on the social security (if you're unemployed / not working / studying / retired... but should be OK if you're employed or self-employed). With the 10 years card they shouldn't discriminate at all.

The PR is valid as a travel document instead of your passport within the EU. Your temporary card isn't, so if you flash that at immigration they will ask for your passport.

That's definitely not how it works. 

The HU system is that you have an RP card and you need afterwards a national ID card separately issued. It says  on the ID card that it's an ID card issued to foreigners.  It says quite clearly on the back of my  ID card in very big letters that it's not valid for travel.   I should say that EU ID cards are no longer valid for travel to the UK.  A passport is required.   

I haven't travelled through a Schengen or HU border guard check using the RP or ID card but I suspect they'll ask for both when I come back into HU.   We went to Austria by car and nobody checked on passports, only COVID paperwork.  Our car is HU registered.
Maybe you're right that an Article 50 PR is more restricted than a regular PR, but I have not found anything that says this.

There are private medical policies designed only to satisfy immigration (these are for emergency treatment/repatriation). So they do pay out, but only in very narrow circumstances. These are not true health insurance policies to cover you for all/most medical situations. The former is very cheap (say 100 euros or less), while the latter tends to be quite expensive (say, 500 euros up to thousands of euros, depending on your age, pre-existing conditions, and country issued). Travel insurance is yet another type of medical cover, which has similar cover to the cheap immigration option, but obviously isn't acceptable to immigration as it runs out quickly (usually has maximum of 60 or 90 days per trip).

I used to travel extensively pre-pandemic and insurance has always  been a problem here and it has got worse post-Brexit.  Some insurance companies here have a kind of "fake" policy heavily caveated that can be used with immigration. Payout is minimal.    More interestingly, long term all year travel insurance is  something that is hard to find here. 

Longest I've seen from the UK is 120 days.   There are backpacker policies available out of the UK but usually involves younger people who are unlikely to die of illness.   Upper limit on age is another issue.

Most of the above can be verified in the relevant EU Directives.

DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC definitely applies to you as the non-EU family member of an EU citizen:

If you've been in Hungary more than 5 years (and got the PR), DIRECTIVE 2003/109/EC should apply:

Clock restarted with issuance of PR.  Previous time pre-Brexit in Hungary  looks like it was lost.  As EU citizens we didn't need PR cards, just registration. None of that is carried over to PR.   It's another Boris Brexit bonus.

- @gwynj

"The integration of third-country nationals who are long-term residents in the Member States is a key element in promoting economic and social cohesion, a fundamental objective of the Community stated in the Treaty."

"Member States shall grant long-term resident status to third-country nationals who have resided legally and continuously within its territory for five years immediately prior to the submission of the relevant application."

"Member States shall issue a long-term resident's EC residence permit to long-term residents. The permit shall be valid at least for five years; it shall, upon application if required, be automatically renewable on expiry."

"In order to constitute a genuine instrument for the integration of long-term residents into society in which they live, long-term residents should enjoy equality of treatment with citizens of the Member State in a wide range of economic and social matters, under the relevant conditions defined by this Directive."

"Long-term residents should enjoy reinforced protection against expulsion. This protection is based on the criteria determined by the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights. In order to ensure protection against expulsion Member States should provide for effective legal redress."

"To avoid rendering the right of residence nugatory, long-term residents should enjoy in the second Member State the same treatment, under the conditions defined by this Directive, they enjoy in the Member State in which they acquired the status."

- @gwynj

My thinking is that this does not apply to working rights.  It might allow freedom of movement and possibly the right of residence but would not allow working rights as they were pre-Brexit.   I see that it's dated 2003.  There will be superseding information in the WA (Withdrawal Agreement).

- @gwynj

My thinking is that this does not apply to working rights.  It might allow freedom of movement and possibly the right of residence but would not allow working rights as they were pre-Brexit.   I see that it's dated 2003.  There will be superseding information in the WA (Withdrawal Agreement).
- @fluffy2560
For UK passport holders, I'm reasonably certain that it doesn't allow freedom of movement and working past where you were registered on the date Brexit came into being.  There have been many examples where, for example, people (Brit passport holders) who worked the seasonal jobs could not travel from their waitressing job in Spain, to their similar job in Germany.  Maybe this is an issue specific to how those 2 countries have interpreted the Brexit agreement.

To be honest, it doesn't affect me and I'm done with travelling; if the country of destination makes it too hard, I just won't go and couldn't give a flying f**k tbh; my point is that I'm not the only one and it seems like the EU are cutting off their nose to spite their face.  I can understand why some may take the opposite view.

All my kids (and more recently my grandson) are dual nationals by birth, so have both a valid UK and EU (NL) passports; they all now reside in the UK, but have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU - it is all rather bizarre and seems a lot more hassle to try and administer than the political point-scoring they seem to see as being their job.
For UK passport holders, I'm reasonably certain that it doesn't allow freedom of movement and working past where you were registered on the date Brexit came into being.  There have been many examples where, for example, people (Brit passport holders) who worked the seasonal jobs could not travel from their waitressing job in Spain, to their similar job in Germany.  Maybe this is an issue specific to how those 2 countries have interpreted the Brexit agreement.

To be honest, it doesn't affect me and I'm done with travelling; if the country of destination makes it too hard, I just won't go and couldn't give a flying f**k tbh; my point is that I'm not the only one and it seems like the EU are cutting off their nose to spite their face.  I can understand why some may take the opposite view.

All my kids (and more recently my grandson) are dual nationals by birth, so have both a valid UK and EU (NL) passports; they all now reside in the UK, but have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU - it is all rather bizarre and seems a lot more hassle to try and administer than the political point-scoring they seem to see as being their job.
- @Cynic

Yup, that's what I think it's like.  Unless one registered for PR in Spain or wherever it was beforehand, you'd had it for 5 years until you get your 10 year PR status and can get EU wide working rights restored via the EC blue card for 3CN.   

It's what Brexiteers voted for.   Not a lot to recommend it. 

The whole thing has become a fiasco wrapped up in a farce.   Ukrainians are invited in no problem, but my HU wife of many years cannot get status in the UK in her own right despite our kids being dual nationals.  It's ridiculous.   We applied for pre-settled status for Mrs F in the UK, just as a kind  of insurance because of the poisonous politics here.  It must be a year now and despite getting a reference number, we've got nothing back except an acknowledgement.  My understanding is that there are still 500,000 applications still outstanding.   

UK immigration is as useful as a chocolate teapot.
@fluffy2560 and @Cynic

I get that EU Directives are long and boring, but all the info is there! :-)

The Withdrawal Agreement is about the UK's exit from the EU. It doesn't really modify EU directives/laws. There are some "residence rights" that the Agreement conferred to British passport holders who had already moved to an EU country before Brexit. But then you had to go through a process to have your EU country recognize your residence rights (perhaps with some proof you actually lived there), and to formalize such rights (by issuing a temporary residence permit, or, if you'd already been there more than 5 years, a long term residence permit).

Prior to Brexit (and after, if we have an EU spouse), the Directive which applied is the Directive for EU citizens and their family members.

After Brexit (and after 5 years in a particular EU country) the Directive which applies (to us Brits) is the one I gave above for "third-country nationals" (non-EU citizens).

This includes multiple references to "freedom of movement" and "equality of treatment" with EU citizens. So I'm not so sure why you're both so skeptical! :-)

Freedom of movement is not freedom of movement if you can't work. Of course, it would be possible that the EU specified (in this directive) that freedom of movement specifically excluded working. But it doesn't.

Specifically, under Article 11 Equal Treatment it says:

1. Long-term residents shall enjoy equal treatment with nationals as regards:
(a) access to employment and self-employed activity, provided such activities do not entail even occasional involvement in the exercise of public authority, and conditions of employment and working conditions, including conditions regarding dismissal and remuneration;
(b) education and vocational training, including study grants in accordance with national law;
(c) recognition of professional diplomas, certificates and other qualifications, in accordance with the relevant national procedures;
(d) social security, social assistance and social protection as defined by national law;

Which includes both employment and social security (as discussed elsewhere).

More importantly, there is a whole section devoted to what happens if you want to move from Hungary (in @fluffy2560's case), or Bulgaria (in mine), after you get your long-term residence permit. This is CHAPTER III - RESIDENCE IN THE OTHER MEMBER STATES.

You should like this one:

A long-term resident may reside in a second Member State on the following grounds:
(a) exercise of an economic activity in an employed or self-employed capacity;
(b) pursuit of studies or vocational training;
(c) other purposes.

And this includes the "Conditions for residence in a second Member State". Which are substantially the same as for EU citizens (in the other Directive), in that you should provide proof of funds/income, and proof of health insurance.
The EU Blue Card is a whole other thing for skilled (and highly paid) migrants from non-EU countries. (But you have to have a job offer/employment contract, and there's a specified minimum salary to qualify.) No connection at all to Brexit (although a UK citizen who didn't get to the EU earlier could use this option now, if they qualify). There's no reason for a Brit with a long-term residence permit to apply for a Blue Card.

If you've only got the initial temporary (5 years) permit in Bulgaria, but now want to work in Germany, then you could choose to use the Blue Card route (subject to qualifying as above). But most would be better off continuing in Bulgaria until they get the PR, and then relocate to Germany on the easier EU citizen/long term residents basis (no job offer required, no minimum salary required).

As to getting back to the UK with one's spouse... on that I totally agree, it's a right pain the proverbial.