Smoke smells in apartments?

Hello, We're relocating to Paris and planning to buy an apartment. I'm worried about secondhand cigarette smoke. Our daughter has mild asthma and I also hate the smell. I've crossed the street to avoid walking behind people smoking.

Not trying to debate smoking, I understand it's widely enjoyed in Paris. I'm just curious, have people bought apartments in Paris and had trouble with second hand smoke smell from neighbors? Is there a way to seal off apartments to stop the smoke from entering? Do air purifiers help? Do the lovely Haussemannian apartments in Paris smell like cigarettes--is it just expected?

Thanks.

Smoking, apart from being disgusting and a health problem, is also dangerous because many smokers don't give a flying rats who they harm, that including the fire risk from their filthy habit.
I won't make any comments about the stupidity of smoking, but I would suggest trying to find a place where that obnoxious habit is banned.

It appears landlords can ban that nauseating suicide attempt in their contracts

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia … 28259.html

Good luck

Map where in France do people smoke the most

Roughly 21 percent of people in the greater Paris region of Ile-de France are smokers, the lowest rate in the country, followed by Pays de La Loire with 23 percent in second place and Normandy in third with 25.6 percent.

It's 21 percent for the Paris region and thus the lowest in France. I looked to compare this with the US and that is around the 16 percent. So yes people in Paris smoke a bit more, but it's not a whole lot more.
Smoking in public places is banned.

I would advise for looking for an appartment to ask the real estate agent for appartments where there isn't smoked in. If you still smell something don't buy or rent.

Thank you for your reply. Agreed, fire risk is also a real danger so landlords benefit from non-smoking rules. I think the tricky part is if we did buy in an apartment building, it's unlikely there would be a smoking ban as all the owners would have to agree—whereas a landlord has more leeway to set rules. Our building in NYC voted to ban smoking ~7 years ago, but it was controversial with some strong resentments from the minority who was out-voted. The vast majority wanted the ban but of course nobody wants to be told what to do in their own private apartment. However research is clear that the smoke travels through ventilations systems, around pipes, even through spaces around electric outlets. It can't be contained. And so smoking bans in apartment buildings have become pretty common in NYC.

It sounds like Paris is going in a healthier direction on this subject and smoking is decreasing in general, so that's encouraging to know.

Good information! Thanks for posting this, happy to see Paris is actually trending in a healthier direction.

We use dried coffee grounds (something we always have an abundance of) to absorb unwanted smells - never let us down.  Plenty of tips on the Internet.

Thanks, coffee grounds for cigarette smell is new to me. May I ask, do you just keep a bowl of coffee grounds out in the area where there is a smell? I've seen information online about blocking vents,  baking soda etc. and just curious to hear people's input on whether such tips actually work. I suppose every situation and apartment is different.

My neighbour is a heavy smoker when I sit in my garden in the summer, the stale smell of old tobacco enters my garden. Yes that is annoying, but I cannot ask him to keep his doors closed in the summer.
It's just something out of my control.

findcate wrote:

Thanks, coffee grounds for cigarette smell is new to me. May I ask, do you just keep a bowl of coffee grounds out in the area where there is a smell? I've seen information online about blocking vents,  baking soda etc. and just curious to hear people's input on whether such tips actually work. I suppose every situation and apartment is different.

A couple of teaspoons of ground coffee in a small saucer; just leave it where the offending smell is, the coffee absorbs the smell and replaces it with the smell of coffee.  Can use it in the fridge if you have strong smelling foodstuff in there; in the car if you have a "pet accident".  Don't buy expensive coffee, the cheapest works just as well, just needs to be ground.

I should have added; it is of course environmentally friendly, you can leave it out with pets around.

It's really unfortunate if you can smell cigarette smoke from within your apartment. We lived in rue Pergolese just between Ave Foch and Ave de la Grand Armee in a 130m2 apartment and never had such a problem. Blvd Haussmann is more central but I'm surprised that smoke is a problem. Perhaps you should be looking a little further out of those very central areas. The 16e and 17e arrondissments are very nice but still very nicely situated for either walking or using transport to get into the central parts of the city. They are more residential and people don't stand around in front of buildings smoking. Rue Pergolese is just a 10 minute walk to the Arc De Triomphe and the Champs Elysees. My daughter currently lives in that area.

For the smell of smoke, you could try using a stick on foam seal at the main doorway and air freshening sprays, the kind they use in hotels when people smoke in a no smoking room. Also baking soda absorbs smells.  Not sure in an air purifier will work, we use our mainly to remove dust in the air.