Urgent BSM number needed...please help

Hi, my 22 year old son has been working in the Netherlands, and stupidly didn't  register before Brexit. His company have now said he must stop work until he has a BSM number.

He is having tons of problems with this,

1) he Spoke to lots of officials who said they are not handing them out because of Brexit.
2) he finally got through to somebody in Rotterdam council who have sent him a form to fill in form RDI, or something similar, but have told him it can take 6 months to get anywhere.
3) we called the Expat business number and they said go talk to your local council.

He is in a loop of confusion and bureaucracy and all the time his job is slipping away.

Does anybody have any suggestion, or advice or can point us in the right direction.. off course Covid isn't helping as lots of companies are not even answering their phones.

Thanks....

You will receive your BSN when you register with the municipality (gemeente) of the area you will live in. Everyone who lives in the Netherlands, either for all or a significant part of the time, needs to register with their municipality within five days after arrival if they are planning to stay for more than four months.

When registering and thus receiving your BSN, EU citizens will need to provide a valid proof of identity (such as a passport, not a driving licence) and their address to be registered, while for non-EU expats other documents (such as your residence permit and employment contract etc.) have to be presented too.

For non-EU expats who are applying in the Netherlands for a residence permit, your registration with the municipality will be provisional. After you are registered, you will receive a letter of pre-registration (BvB) from the IND, which they will return to your municipality after you have applied for your residence permit. Then your registration and BSN will be confirmed.

If he is working in The Netherlands legally he needs the BSN number or he will lose his job. You cannot work without an BSN number. He now probably needs an work permit as being from non EU member state.

Mfurber wrote:

Hi, my 22 year old son has been working in the Netherlands, and stupidly didn't  register before Brexit. His company have now said he must stop work until he has a BSM number.

How was your son working without having a BSN number?

SimCityAT wrote:
Mfurber wrote:

How was your son working without having a BSN number?

It's possible; there is always a delay between you having your appointment at the Gemeente and receiving your letter with your details and DigiD information - it can take up to 4 weeks, especially with lots of civil servants working from home.  Most employers will accept that; it doesn't become an issue until year end and the dreaded blue envelopes (tax return) start to appear.

Hi, my 22 year old son has been working in the Netherlands, and stupidly didn't register before Brexit.

According to this statement he didn't register at all.

Yeah, their is a flaw in the system that allows people to work while they wait for the bureaucracy to issue the official letter and DigiD.  It's allowed for all the right reasons (people need money to live, so most need to work).  99% of people who come to the Netherlands do it legally and you Dutch nationals never have to worry because you get your BSN allocated the moment your parents register your birth.  But, there's always some people who don't bother.  I knew a guy who had a campervan on a camping site near us in Glanerbrug; it was on US diplomatic plates (bought it from a US serviceman in Germany) and he and his wife worked as musicians around all the English language bases in Germany.  So, he lived on the black like that for 20 years before they caught him, never paid a cent in taxes, health insurance, car insurance - nothing.  Then he did a runner back to Liverpool.

I understand, but the statement says he forgot to register at all. So I am a bit confused.

Yeah - my initial reply was aimed at SimCityAT who wondered how he had started a job without a BSN; I was explaining how it can happen.  Must admit, it's unusual, but for practical reasons, it happens - probably things like order picking in warehouses where they must be really needing workers right now, because most of the non-essential shops are closed.

Let us get things straight Brexit happened over a year ago. I hope they mean the Transition Period? The OP still did not state when their son started son started work.

His agency did not ask for one prior to starting work, and like most 22 year olds, he didn't really check things out.

He's an engineer working on oil rigs and gas rigs, so his contracts are usually with the government themselves.

Well he is going to lose his job anyway, it costs just to much time to get a work permit/visa.
If he started in december and forgot to register, he is now to late the transition period is over. That is the reason why they are saying they won't handing them over anymore.

2) he finally got through to somebody in Rotterdam council who have sent him a form to fill in form RDI, or something similar, but have told him it can take 6 months to get anywhere.

He is asked to get a visa to work in The Netherlands, but the chances are very low he would get one.

I feel for the kid, but it is his own fault that he will lose his job.  I know this sounds hard, but it is what it is. It's a costly mistake, but he had to know that the transition period was over in 2021. I hope he will get the time to get back to the UK safely.

He knows its his own fault, but you can always rely on Internet land to find somebody that wants to state the bleeding obvious and twist the knife! Not helpful....

Thankfully others advise has been more constructive as he is receiving a temporary work visa for 3 months on Monday! That buys him enough time to organise the real visa, so he wont be going back to the UK... just yet. 🙈🤯